Tito's Vodka Eliminates My Night Sweats. Why!

sladerunner69

Red wine is a slight aromatase inhibitor but it also contains significant amounta of estrogen as well as histamines and sulfites which can pose allergy problems and further promote estrogenic symtpoma, in my view.

What exactly are night sweats? What is your temperature and pulse?

EIRE24

You can find glass bottle Mexican cokes in select Walmart or Target stores. Plus it's Passover so you may find yellow cap 2 liter cokes made with real sugar.
I actually found the Mexican coke but they don't serve it in bars.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Perhaps an increase in GABA restraining some stress process.

Alcohol is not an aromatase inhibitor, in fact it activates it quite potently and inhibits liver function so estrogen excretion is also hindered and you end up with estrogen overload. Just Google "estrogen alcoholism".
As far as why it makes you feel good, it can lower both cortisol and adrenaline in the short run and also promote GABA signalling, which calms people down. However, if you are used to treating yourself with vodka, stopping it suddenly can bring about "withdrawal" symptoms. The night sweats and waking up are a classic sign of that. The direct mechanism is probably still the adrenalin/cortisol/serotonin but if those were high and alcohol was helping, stopping the alcohol can cause a rebound of these. Usually, an anti-serotonin chemical can bring these symptoms under control and pregnenolone reduces both the cravings for alcohol and the side effects of it. I posted a few studies on alcohol cravings being driven by CRH/cortisol/stress and pregnenolone lowers these very potently.

Ok, so I did some research and I'm thinking that it's not withdrawal but it is probably the rebound effect. I was never a heavy drinker nor did binge drink, usually just on weekends I'd have a few drinks and I didn't stop abruptly, I just cut back the amount of drinks and frequency, so I'm not sure this could be withdrawal. I've only started self-treating this issue with vodka the last couple days because I really need some sleep.

But, what learned last night might be a clue to both the night sweats and a mysterious illness I have. It's an autoimmune disease but I don't know what; my doc says fibromyalgia, my gastro doc says celiac, and from what I've read it might some connective tissue disease. The main symptom is intense flesh pain that feels like bruises all over my body, it happens when I eat grains, dairy, some food additives, and, additionally, last night I ate potatoes and eggs and got the pain too so now that's another food(s) added to my illegal list. Here's the thing... Drinking vodka made the pain go away!!! This is the one and only thing that has ever helped a flare up of this pain!!! I've tried asprin, supplements, foods, essential oils, nothing else has ever made any reduction in the pain. I've had this illness for almost 20yrs and had to avoid foods or deal with the pain if I accidentally ate one of the above listed foods. All this time I've avoided alcohol during a flare up thinking the best thing to do is just rest and eat easy to digest foods. I realize that alcohol is not the answer so I have to figure out how to best balance my neurotransmitters in a similar way as vodka does.

I'm hoping the pregnenalone will help. @haidut Can you tell me what dosage of your PanSterone I should use?
I am 38yr old female, 103lb, 5'
Also, do you know if it has side effects that would worsen my already chronic constipation issue, GERD, shingles, gastritis (i don't currently have flare ups of the last 2 things but I am prone to them), Raynaud's, SIBO, or migraines?

And anyone have any other suggestions to do in addition to the PanSterone?

Tim Lundeen

https://www.amazon.com/While-Scienc...92370747&sr=8-1&keywords=while+science+sleepsRay Peat says that night sweats are caused by estrogen being in the right range so that rising cortisol triggers vasodilation and high skin temps (along with slightly reduced body temps). See Hot flashes, energy, and aging

So when you have lower estrogen and it is balanced by enough testosterone/progesterone/VitE, then the normal rise in cortisol during the night doesn't trigger vasodilation. As estrogen rises and/or is not balanced, then you enter a range where night sweats are triggered. When estrogen rises some more, you stop having night sweats.

I've seen this for myself. When I started taking Vit E/A/D/K2, low-dose Progest-E, and I started waking up with night sweats. Increasing Vit E (IdeaLabs TocoVit), slightly increasing Progest-E, starting RP's protocols, and increasing Ca+Mg have definitely reduced my estrogen and increased thyroid, and are helping, so I seem to be on the right track...

Autoimmune illness can be a sign of high estrogen and low thyroid/generative energy. See Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

Alcohol is funny stuff, and you have to look at the interaction of ethanol and methanol to understand how it works. Alcoholic beverages are primarily ethanol, but contain some methanol. You also get methanol from bacterial breakdown of pectin, so orange juice or apple juice that sits will have methanol (and your gut bacteria will convert higher-pectin foods to some methanol.)

Ethanol is highly toxic, and our blood vessels have high concentrations of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) to detoxify it by converting it to acetaldehyde before it moves into the tissues. Methanol is even more toxic; ADH converts methanol to formaldehyde, which causes massive inflammation. However, ADH has an extremely high affinity for ethanol, and in the presence of mixed ethanol/methanol it will primarily clear ethanol, allowing methanol to clear passively (sweat and urine) so it doesn't cause damage. (Ethanol is specific for methanol toxicity, and people who drink wood alcohol by mistake are given ethanol until methanol levels drop to safe levels.)

The interaction between ethanol and methanol is the reason that small amounts of ethanol are protective: 1 drink/day for a man, or 1/2 for a woman, keeps ethanol levels high enough to allow methanol to be leave without converting to formaldehyde. Higher levels of ethanol increase the toxicity from ethanol, so are not as good. Also, when you have more than 2 drinks for a man or 1 for a woman, your body will upregulate ADH to clear the ethanol more quickly and reduce ethanol toxicity. But binge drinking (e.g. sometimes having more than 2 drinks) is the worst of all worlds: it upregulates ADH and on other days when you have less/nothing to drink, any ethanol is cleared very quickly giving methanol less time to clear, and then methanol is very quickly converted to formaldehyde. So more drinks is less healthy, and binge drinking (e.g. more than 2 drinks episodically for a man) is the worst.

The other issue with alcohol is that it is almost always contaminated by mycotoxins and various chemicals. The only alcohol I can drink is Square One's organic vodka: anything else gives me severe inflammation.

So when you drink before you go to bed, you are increasing inflammation, increasing estrogen, and this probably drops you out of the "night sweat" estrogen zone.

Re alcohol, a great book is Woodrow Monte's While Science Sleeps: Amazon.com: While Science Sleeps eBook: Woodrow C. Monte: Kindle Store

Form

I used 1800 with pineapple juice and aloe vera...and every other night I add glutamine...it works wonders

OP
Zpol

Zpol

So when you have lower estrogen and it is balanced by enough testosterone/progesterone/VitE, then the normal rise in cortisol during the night doesn't trigger vasodilation. As estrogen rises and/or is not balanced, then you enter a range where night sweats are triggered. When estrogen rises some more, you stop having night sweats.

I've seen this for myself. When I started taking Vit E/A/D/K2, low-dose Progest-E, and I started waking up with night sweats. Increasing Vit E (IdeaLabs TocoVit), slightly increasing Progest-E, starting RP's protocols, and increasing Ca+Mg have definitely reduced my estrogen and increased thyroid, and are helping, so I seem to be on the right track...

Thank you @Tim Lundeen for this reply. The 'zones' of estrogen is definitely not something I had considered! But makes sense.
I'm not sure I understand how taking Vit E/A/D/K2, low-dose Progest-E put you in the night sweats 'zone' when you weren't in it before. But I do understand RP's protocols, and increasing Ca+Mg have helped. I take a large amount of magnesium but no calcium since I'm intolerant to egg shell and all dairy. I did recently find a calcium supplement that I'm hoping I can tolerate called 'Dr. Christoper's Calcium (extract)', it has no dangerous excipients so fingers crossed it will help.
I just looked up the book you mentioned, looks like a good read! thanks!

Autoimmune illness can be a sign of high estrogen and low thyroid/generative energy. See Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

I do understand this is likely the cause of my autoimmunity... just hope I can correct it with my limited diet. I cannot follow RP's diet advice due to dairy and eggs causing severe pain.

I used 1800 with pineapple juice and aloe vera...and every other night I add glutamine...it works wonders

I'm a little worried about glutamine causing worsening of bacteria overgrowth.

It's very scary to be in this much pain and unable to sleep so I thank you for your input!
It's all pieces to the puzzle.

Tim Lundeen

@Zpol Re calcium, there is also a bone calcium you could try, see Free-Range Pasture-Fed Bone Marrow and Cartilage, 3.5oz

Re protein, are you using 100% grass-fed organ meat and muscle meat (you can buy this online from Slanker's), and adding gelatin to balance the muscle meat? You could also try soy-free/pastured/organic eggs, quality does make a big difference...

Re my estrogen, it was too high so I was sleeping through the night; but lowing it via RP's protocols brought it down to where it triggered night-time hot flashes; lowering it some more (or just giving my body time to adjust, or adding a couple of Tsps of honey before bed) seems to have done the trick -- the last couple of nights I've slept a restful 7 hours, hopefully it continues.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Thanks for the tips! @Tim Lundeen
I had been eating local free range but I think they supplement with feed, especially in winter (I live in mid west Wisconsin). I guess I'll call around. It's scary to have such intense pain from foods, and I don't know if the flare ups are causing irreparable damage so I'm quite afraid of eggs at this point.

Same with gelatin causing shingles... Having shingles is nightmare. So I'm quite freaked out by anything with a higher ratio of arginine to lysine, gelatin and bone broth are highest on that list. I would think the chicken bone marrow and cartilage would fall in that category. Also, the organ meats give terrible heartburn symptoms, and they too can cause viral flare ups due to the high iron.

I'm sure it might like I'm just being a big winer and complainer but these symptoms are real and very scary.
The way only way I've been able to maintain the ability to work and have a life is by strict avoidance of foods that directly cause symptoms (that I find from food journaling).

Thank you for clarifying your estrogen issue, I get it now!

The help I've got from people on this site has been extremely helpful though.

Tim Lundeen

@Zpol re arginine/lysine you could try adding lysine to gelatin, I've used Bulk Supplements L-Lysine and didn't have any issues (250mg lysine to 1T gelatin should give you overall a little more lysine than arginine).

Commercial chickens are very high flouride, stock made from chicken is off the charts (we get chicken parts from Slanker's and that seems to be ok for us).

You are not a "winer and complainer" -- it's not easy recovering your health!

OP
Zpol

Zpol

@Zpol re arginine/lysine you could try adding lysine to gelatin, I've used Bulk Supplements L-Lysine and didn't have any issues (250mg lysine to 1T gelatin should give you overall a little more lysine than arginine).

This could work. I think I'll give it a try.

Also, this Slanker's seems like a reputable company. I'll see about ordering from them. I'm in Wisconsin so it might be pricey for shipping.

it's not easy recovering your health!

That's for sure!

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok, so I did some research and I'm thinking that it's not withdrawal but it is probably the rebound effect. I was never a heavy drinker nor did binge drink, usually just on weekends I'd have a few drinks and I didn't stop abruptly, I just cut back the amount of drinks and frequency, so I'm not sure this could be withdrawal. I've only started self-treating this issue with vodka the last couple days because I really need some sleep.

But, what learned last night might be a clue to both the night sweats and a mysterious illness I have. It's an autoimmune disease but I don't know what; my doc says fibromyalgia, my gastro doc says celiac, and from what I've read it might some connective tissue disease. The main symptom is intense flesh pain that feels like bruises all over my body, it happens when I eat grains, dairy, some food additives, and, additionally, last night I ate potatoes and eggs and got the pain too so now that's another food(s) added to my illegal list. Here's the thing... Drinking vodka made the pain go away!!! This is the one and only thing that has ever helped a flare up of this pain!!! I've tried asprin, supplements, foods, essential oils, nothing else has ever made any reduction in the pain. I've had this illness for almost 20yrs and had to avoid foods or deal with the pain if I accidentally ate one of the above listed foods. All this time I've avoided alcohol during a flare up thinking the best thing to do is just rest and eat easy to digest foods. I realize that alcohol is not the answer so I have to figure out how to best balance my neurotransmitters in a similar way as vodka does.

I'm hoping the pregnenalone will help. @haidut Can you tell me what dosage of your PanSterone I should use?
I am 38yr old female, 103lb, 5'
Also, do you know if it has side effects that would worsen my already chronic constipation issue, GERD, shingles, gastritis (i don't currently have flare ups of the last 2 things but I am prone to them), Raynaud's, SIBO, or migraines?

And anyone have any other suggestions to do in addition to the PanSterone?

The studies on pregnenolone decreasing alcohol cravings used higher doses - 8mg/kg - 10mg/kg. But it was to cure rats heavily "addicted" to alcohol. Pansterone may also help. I would use 1-3 doses daily (4 - 12 drops). I think most people find even a single dose to be enough and if effects are felt I would keep at a single dose and not use more unless needed.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

The studies on pregnenolone decreasing alcohol cravings used higher doses - 8mg/kg - 10mg/kg. But it was to cure rats heavily "addicted" to alcohol. Pansterone may also help. I would use 1-3 doses daily (4 - 12 drops). I think most people find even a single dose to be enough and if effects are felt I would keep at a single dose and not use more unless needed.

Thanks @Haduit!
I'm not really craving alcohol per se, not like I crave sugar for example, so I'll just have to experiment and see.

@natedawggh figured this out. alcohol is anticholinergic
The Cure for Alcoholism

This is quite an interesting article! I'm going to have revisit it later tonight when I have some time to really absorb it. Thanks!