Simple, Easy And Free Way To Reduce Blue Light Exposure (and Increase Red)

tankasnowgod

This one is so easy, and yet, I completely overlooked it. Instead of having a blue background on your computer (as seems to be the default), simply change it to solid red (or, say, a closeup of a red flower or whatever, if you still want a picture). Do this for all your devices (even phone). I've done it for my home computers, and will do it at work this week.

The idea came from this blog post on Redlightman.com- 5 ways to minimise harmful blue light in your life - Red Light Man

Has anyone else tried this? I'm guessing orange, yellow, and even green would cut at least some blue light exposure.

On a side note, the color setup of this forum is pretty on point. Beige background probably cuts some blue light, but still offers great contrast with black. Red accents and hyperlinks, nice touch.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

lvysaur

I think the forum background is great, but only after putting it through f.lux

I put everything on max f.lux, I don't really care about the daylight rhythm thing.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Darkroom mode makes this look like the Evil Ray Peat Forum. I imagine Evil Ray has a Goatee. You know, so we could easily spot the difference.

Black Ops

Twilight isn't really effective as it applies a pink filter but the phone still emits most of the blue light

If you want the removal of blue light, you would need to be rooted and install either flux or cf lumen

Elias

I use the MacOS lion desktop. It is rich in red spectra. I also added red to my smartphone and tablet. The benefits I experience may be the combination of all these along with good nutrition.

frant26

For those with iPhones. I use the "Night Shift" feature to make the screen warmer, set from 10pm until 9:59pm (so it runs all day long)

tomisonbottom

For those with iPhones. I use the "Night Shift" feature to make the screen warmer, set from 10pm until 9:59pm (so it runs all day long)

I thought we only needed to avoid blue light at night, but I guess that's not the case? Is it harmful all the time?

milk_lover

I use f.lux on 1200K but I find myself disable it a lot to watch tv shows and youtube but when I read it's always on 1200k!

DawN

YESSS, this is the right forum for me. All here seem to like the evilizating touch which f.lux darkroom mode brings in!

milk_lover

YESSS, this is the right forum for me. All here seem to like the evilizating touch which f.lux darkroom mode brings in!
What about when you watch a movie or a youtube video? Can't imagine myself watch Fargo extremely well executed shots on dark mode..

Queequeg

good post. just converted everything over. Here is a nice collection of red nature pics for those who like an ever changing background. Just save them to a folder (DownThemAll makes this easy) and use personalization / desktop background to select that folder.
Red Nature Wallpaper

DawN

What about when you watch a movie or a youtube video? Can't imagine myself watch Fargo extremely well executed shots on dark mode..
Too bad I'm a TV-H8r in general - and if I watch a movie that is worth it (like Batman: The Dark Knight), I count it for an exception and just don't care. Really, it happens maybe once a month that I watch a movie...

BibleBeliever

I use f.lux on 1200K but I find myself disable it a lot to watch tv shows and youtube but when I read it's always on 1200k!

I have iris and f.lux. Is 1200k the best setting for red light? I am new to researching red light, plan to get some for winter and reading the threads to see what is the best to buy.

The iris has a health setting, but it sets it at 3400k, I think to emulate sunlight? Or is redlight better instead of imitation sunlight?

Found this one for the phone:
Twilight - Android Apps on Google Play

Can set to 1000k as always with redness to it.

Last edited:

Djukami

Using f.lux but having bulbs emiting blue light (they are standard bulbs so I guess they emit it) in the room completely makes the program useless, am I right?

Djukami

I have iris and f.lux. Is 1200k the best setting for red light? I am new to researching red light, plan to get some for winter and reading the threads to see what is the best to buy.

The iris has a health setting, but it sets it at 3400k, I think to emulate sunlight? Or is redlight better instead of imitation sunlight?

Found this one for the phone:
Twilight - Android Apps on Google Play

Can set to 1000k as always with redness to it.
As @Black Ops said
Twilight isn't really effective as it applies a pink filter but the phone still emits most of the blue light

If you want the removal of blue light, you would need to be rooted and install either flux or cf lumen
If you want to check if your program or even glasses is really blocking all the blue light, just check if the blue color is black. If it is completely black, it means it is blocking it. Twilight app doesn't do that...
My blue blocking glasses only remove the worst spectrum for our eyes (as they say) so I still see some blue, but flux makes the color blue completely black.

This is how I test it:
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/phobia/images/1/16/Blue.png/revision/latest?cb=20161109225351
How Effective is your Blue Light Filter - Test Your Glasses with this Graphic
Another Way to Test Your Blue Light Filtering Eyewear