Vitamin E Can Deplete Iron Stores?

J

j.

According to a website, although they mention it as a bad thing...

Vitamin E dosed at between 600mg – 1000mg can deplete iron stores in people susceptible to low iron.

Link

That page is about how Vitamins E and B6 can lower prolactin. It's very detailed, almost as if it were written by a Peatarian. The website is about body building.

OP
J

j.

The website made me think that maybe investigating the effect of vitamin E on prolactin may be a way to figure out the right dose of supplementation (not by a person probably, a study should be made). They speculate that excessive vitamin E could bring prolactin back up.

Vinero

Interesting. I doubt that vitamin E in itself will cause prolactin to become high, it's probably the other junk in most vitamin E supplements like soy that makes prolactin go up again.

burtlancast

Vit E and iron antagonise each other.

When taken at the same time, the iron will destroy the Vit E ( as wrote the Shute brothers).

jaakkima

Do we know if this is true? I have heard some say E only protects from toxic effects of iron, but heard a few say that it "depletes" iron stores. I haven't found any reference though. It didn't look like that was backed up in the article from a glance at the refs...

burtlancast

I don't see how Vit E could deplete iron stores unless it helped to actively remove it from the body.
I would rather believe foods low in iron (milk) achieve this depletion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals