Serotonin Reduction

Birdie

Emily Cahill

Everything points to decreasing seratonin, but I take an anti depressant SSRI for bi polar. Could that cause issues or not? Is my seratonin level already low and the medication brings it to a normal level?
I have all the general hypothyroid issues. Currently treating but wondering if the medication will be making it all pointless.

JDreamer

Estrogen increases serotonin.

"Because some estrogen is secreted In the bile, adequate fiber in the diet (oats, potato. or raw carrots, for example) and regular bowel function help to prevent the build-up of estrogen, which inhibits the thyroid.
(Estrogen which has been excreted in the bile can be reabsorbed from the intestIne if there is slow transit time and too little fiber.)

A deficiency of B vitamins or protein is also known to prevent the liver from excreting estrogen.
One of the ways in which starvatIon inhibits thyroid function is by damaging the liver function.

Vegetarians are sometimes dangerously deficient in protein, and in that state the body is very resistant to thyroid hormone. Elevated serum calcium is probably one of the factors in creating a slate of thyroid-resistance during stress.”

Intestinal Serotonin and Bone Loss – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Found your comments interesting for the simple fact that a general practitioner diagnosed me with Gilbert's Syndrome 10+ years ago.

Gilbert's syndrome

Perhaps this condition of mine isn't as "harmless" as most available literature makes it out to be.

Any thoughts on this? At the moment I'm actively trying to reduce estrogen/cortisol/prolactin and resolve years worth of constipation and poor bowel movement in hopes that it also helps resolve hair loss.

What's also interesting to me is that a congested liver often leads to gallbladder attacks. As a kid on up until my early teens, I used to suffer from painful cramps to the point where I couldn't even straighten out and walk. I would often find myself on a bed in the nurse's office rolling in agony for an hour or so until the pain subsided.

Last edited:
What suggest for Low Histamine level with High serotonin and low dopamine ?

Blake

Hello, I got mild case of serotonin syndrome three weeks ago. I eat carrots through out the day and take BCAA with my meals. I also take Great Lakes gelatin when I eat meat meals. My symptoms seem to die down besides light chills and shivering? How long does this last and what helps to cope with ?
Thanks Blake