Fasting Before Blood Tests - Necessary?

Dhair

Is fasting before a blood test absolutely necessary?
I know it could absolutely show inaccuracy for blood glucose, but my test doesn't call for that.
It seems like eating something like Greek yogurt or milk wouldnt have too much of an effect.
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to go 8 hours without consuming any calories.
Any suggestions?

Xisca

There is no answer, it depends on the test, and so just ask your doctor or the lab!
They will tell you.
Or calculate the hour of the test, and eat later the night before...

Makrosky

Is fasting before a blood test absolutely necessary?
I know it could absolutely show inaccuracy for blood glucose, but my test doesn't call for that.
It seems like eating something like Greek yogurt or milk wouldnt have too much of an effect.
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to go 8 hours without consuming any calories.
Any suggestions?
Yeah man ask your doc.

OP
D

Dhair

There is no answer, it depends on the test, and so just ask your doctor or the lab!
They will tell you.
Or calculate the hour of the test, and eat later the night before...
Lipid or glucose tests require 8 hours. I haven't eaten fat for more than hours so i didnt think it would make a difference for the lipid test and a glucose test wasn't ordered. That's why Im asking. It seems that it wouldn't make a difference if I haven't eaten anything containing fat for 8 hours. I've only consumed Greek yogurt, OJ and coke.