Exercise / Sports And Evolution / Human Needs

Dobbler

Does anyone else ever wonder why do we people in general do exercise and sports? What is it that makes people for example go to the gym or running and train till complete exhaustion, and next day do it again? Some people do sports twice daily, for fun and their own pleasure. But why? Endorphin addiction? Or is it because evolution has created us to be constantly moving and nowadays we sit around much more than our ancestors, who had to hunt and be constantly on the move.
I personally used to be like that few years back when i was much healthier. But now im battling with many health issues i dont have to desire to go running or to gym everyday like i used to. I hear on bus when couple of youngters talk so passionate about their yesterdays ice hockey trainings and i wonder, what makes it so funny? I was able to see it when i was younger but now its much harder. Hard to explain but i hope you guys get the question. :D

After exercising, we feel at ease and clear and eventually happy too. So, I guess exercising regularly is a good idea. And everyone I know is following a regular fitness program me. I think you should also make your mind for regular exercise regime. Start with small exercise first that just make you happy and then increasing the time.

Tenacity

I don't think I'd exercise at all if I didn't think there were benefits. I think any drive to exercise is cognitive rather than instinctual, from my own experience.

dfspcc20

The body (and the brain) need movement, especially enjoyable movement. This is obvious you've ever observed young children.

Somehow our culture turned that need into the concept of "exercise" - the repetitive, "punish yourself" types of movement most people think of with that term.

I like this quote from the "I Choose Ice Cream" FB page.

Thomas Hanna coined the term, "sensory-motor amnesia." The general concept is that if we fail to move any part of our body regularly, the nervous system gradually removes conscious control of that motion from our body. This is when the "startle reflex" kicks in. Also known as the "flinch response", "red light reflex", or "going fetal." "It's a protective mechanism hard-wired into the human nervous system, designed to protect and guard against injury from an IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL THREAT. Unfortunately, the nervous system often fails to differentiate everyday stressors from a physical threat. As a result, many people walk around "armored" all day." - Scott Sonnon

The antidote to this is to move daily and efficiently. The startle reflex is an enemy of efficiency. Over time, bad posture turns into poor movement skill. We can also remove the startle reflex by feeling less threatened. Both food and movement, particularly, play come in handy for this.

Exercise has become another way to signal one's wealth, health or vitality to others. Not good or bad, but can be either depending on one's goals.

The body (and the brain) need movement, especially enjoyable movement. This is obvious you've ever observed young children.

Somehow our culture turned that need into the concept of "exercise" - the repetitive, "punish yourself" types of movement most people think of with that term.

I like this quote from the "I Choose Ice Cream" FB page.

what is good movement?

I like watching videos of kickboxing and judo and capoera. I will often practice those movements when bored and they feel good.

I also think parkour and gymnastics feels good.

Cardio sucks. If you're gonna run at least do it somewhere interesting. I pity people who punish themselves by going on the treadmill for an hour.

I "crave" for exercise the better i feel, so i think its a good thing for me!

I get this too on occasion, usually when I'm feeling really, really good. And the endorphin rush can be incredible. It seems to also work as an anti-depressant for some.

dfspcc20

what is good movement?

I like watching videos of kickboxing and judo and capoera. I will often practice those movements when bored and they feel good.

I also think parkour and gymnastics feels good.

Cardio sucks. If you're gonna run at least do it somewhere interesting. I pity people who punish themselves by going on the treadmill for an hour.

I'm definitely not an expert or anything on this, but my thoughts are:
- needs to be something you get enjoyment out of.
- should *not* be exhausting (i.e. you can do it while breathing through your nose). If the activity does involve bursts of exhaustive movement, it should be something you can regain control of your breath within 1-3 breaths.
- the things you listed are fine, as long as they meet the 1st two criteria.
- you should aim to move all your joints and muscles every day, with some weight bearing activity at least on the major joints.

I personally like playing with my kids at the playground (you don't see too many grown adults doing the monkey bars), walks in interesting environments, batting cages, and the "gentle" yoga and pilates classes they offer at the local YMCA. And some weight lifting, though it's hard for me to get enjoyment out of spending much of my free time indoors in an artificially lit gym - maybe if I could find something outdoors, like Muscle Beach...

I also feel bad for the "joggers" as well, especially since most have terrible running form and treadmills present problems of their own. I did run track in high school, so I occasionally do get a desire to go for runs, but it definitely has to be outdoors for me.

I'm definitely not an expert or anything on this, but my thouhhts are:
- needs to be something you get enjoyment out of.
- should *not* be exhausting (i.e. you can do it while breathing through your nose). If the activity does involve bursts of exhaustive movement, it should be something you can regain control of your breath within 1-3 breaths.
- the things you listed are fine, as long as they meet the 1st two criteria.
- you should aim to move all your joints and muscles every day, with some weight bearing activity at least on the major joints.

I personally like playing with my kids at the playground (you don't see too many grown adults doing the monkey bars), walks in interesting environments, batting cages, and the "gentle" yoga and pilates classes they offer at the local YMCA. And some weight lifting, though it's hard for me to get enjoyment out of spending much of my free time indoors in an artificially lit gym - maybe if I could find something outdoors, like Muscle Beach...

I also feel bad for the "joggers" as well, especially since most have terrible running form and treadmills present problems of their own. I did run track in high school, so I occasionally do get a desire to go for runs, but it definitely has to be outdoors for me.

jogging on concrete ruins your knees and ages your face due to the repeated shocks. I like to go running in the woods.

I like playing on the playground too. I also like climbing trees, climbing boulders, hopping across rocks in a river, exploring old buildings, etc.

**** this capitalized monetized system we live in where one has to pay for the ******* privilege of enjoying their own body.

Queequeg

I think people playing sports and exercising is a perfectly natural response to the modern world and its sedentary lifestyle as mentioned above.
What puzzles me is the the hours and hours of time spent watching, reading, and discussing other adults playing playground games. What's really ridiculous is how personally invested in the outcome of their "home" team people have become as if they have anything to do with it.

dfspcc20

I think people playing sports and exercising is a perfectly natural response to the modern world and its sedentary lifestyle as mentioned above.
What puzzles me is the the hours and hours of time spent watching, reading, and discussing other adults playing playground games. What's really ridiculous is how personally invested in the outcome of their "home" team people have become as if they have anything to do with it.

Spectator sports: where you get to pay money to watch other people have fun.