Sugar Coated - Another Horrible Documentary Made By Noobs

Another sad documentary. They claim heart disease, type two diabetes, obesity, and cancer are all primarily caused by "sugar." They are wrong. They are noobs.

Noob - Newbie, novice, amateur.

Heart disease is primarily caused by oils used in cooking and as added condiments, which people consume in massive amounts, and that fact is completely ignored by this film. Caldwell Esselstyn has data proving that oil causes HD. Cooking/condiment oil breakdown products - acrolein, malondialdehyde, hydroxynonenal, crotonaldehyde, lipid peroxides, isoprostanes, prostaglandins, neuroprostanes, eicosanoids, leuktotrienes all cause HD, as well as too many sulfur containing amino acids and excess fowl/fish fat.

Type two diabetes is caused by the spillover effect from too much adipose tissue, free fatty acids in the blood and intramyocellular lipids in the muscle tissue which slow glucose metabolism, which is caused by having excess adipose tissue from fat intake, not sugar, (a lean person can eat saturated fat to a point without it causing FFA and intramyocellular lipid problems, its harder for an obese person though, "Just about everything that goes wrong involves FFA increase. If they are totally saturated fatty acids, such as from coconut oil and butter, those are less harmful, but they still tend to shift the mitochondrial cellular metabolism away from using glucose and fructose and turning on various stress related things; By lowering the carbon dioxide production I think is the main mechanism." - Ray Peat) and obese people who lose the enough adipose tissue cure their T2D. Cancer is a completley different discussion and shouldn't be lumped in with diabetes and heart disease which are caused by dietary excess, but dietary wise sugar does not cause cancer formation and growth.

High fructose corn syrup is not the best refined sugar to use but it isn't the main cause of problems. People who drink soda, which is one area this film focuses on, do not just drink HFCS soda as their only calorie source. They completely ignore all of the other things obese/sick people consume alongside the soda and that is why they are wrong.

Saying "sugar" causes type two diabetes is like saying gasoline causes your car to breakdown, it's not the gas, it's your engine. They completely ignore the importance of glucose/glycogen. They completely ignore the fact that the human brain burns a metric F ton of glucose daily as well as red blood cells. It is laughable that they think that obesity is caused by the sugar consumption alone and that the fat intake has nothing to do with the increase in adipose tissue.

Humans crave sweet for a biological reason. When we crave sweet, it indicates a need for simple sugars from ripe, sweet, fruit and fructose. Trying to suppress your natural desire to eat sweet fruit leads to problems. If fresh fruit is not around, sugar cane, maple syrup, honey, etc. can be used to satisfy a sweet craving but ultimately fruit is the best. Sugar cane can be used to make homemade condiments/deserts and as long as they are made without oil there is no basis to condemn desert and people can eat it often without fear.

Modern flour is not the best version of flour but traditional stoneground/sprouted flour used in context is not harmful. Just like HFCS soda, flour is consumed alongside other things that cause problems.

The "fruit Was Never This Sweet" Myth

sc.jpg

Sugar Coated Documentary

Last edited:

Makrosky

West, you mention cooking oils. What do you mean exactly? Like a PUFA oil becomes worse if cooked than ingested raw??

DaveFoster

131091292545.jpg

...don't you know that PUFA is the real enemy." (Ray Peat on the left, Mark Sisson on the right.)

Philomath

He looks good for 523 years old! Btw, each of those medals is for dealing with that annoying woman caller on the Herb Doctors show

Ella

Forum Supporter
and obese people who lose the enough adipose tissue cure their T2D. Cancer is a completley different discussion and shouldn't be lumped in with diabetes and heart disease which are caused by dietary excess, but dietary wise sugar does not cause cancer formation and growth.

Aren't they all metabolic diseases?

I am contemplating doing a fast to fast track getting rid of dietary excesses stored in my adipose tissues. Should I do Jason Fung version or Furham/Neil Barnard water fast. Would the water fast release FFAs plus all those stored environmental toxins into the system and overburden my liver, pancreas and every other organ including my brain?

This scares the ***t out me. Doing it slowly - losing weight will just kill my beta cells and poison my thyroid. Will I survive and come out the other end with a better me or will I damage myself further? What can be taken to adsorb those FFAs and take them out safely? There has got to be an easier and safer way of doing this.

Milena

Aren't they all metabolic diseases?

I am contemplating doing a fast to fast track getting rid of dietary excesses stored in my adipose tissues. Should I do Jason Fung version or Furham/Neil Barnard water fast. Would the water fast release FFAs plus all those stored environmental toxins into the system and overburden my liver, pancreas and every other organ including my brain?

This scares the ***t out me. Doing it slowly - losing weight will just kill my beta cells and poison my thyroid. Will I survive and come out the other end with a better me or will I damage myself further? What can be taken to adsorb those FFAs and take them out safely? There has got to be an easier and safer way of doing this.

Have you read the threads that talk about scallops (low fat and contain glycine and taurine) as enhancing Peat-style weight-loss. I fancied fresh seafood this weekend and bought two large shell-on wild prawns and 3 wild scallops without the foot. As they are expensive, I planned eating 1 per day for aa week but scoffed the scallops (lightly fried with a 1/4 teaspoon CO) that night and the prawns the next (grilled and eaten with shells). I weighed myself this morning and found a 2lb loss. I'm going to repeat this exercise again a few times but taurine might be the key for me (fingers crossed n=1 YMMV) :salute

I am low-fat (skimmed milk, OJ, wild shrimp (like popcorn shrimp) and a dash of salt and sugar with a few, now tapering, supplements. I keep up with 1 kelp tablet daily for iodine) I plan to add some saturated fat, CO, for a week and then go low-fat again.

Before I found this site, I tried Jason Fung and also did a 5 day fast. I couldn't keep to Fung as nothing happened to my fat% or weight. I did immediately start craving pizza (and I rarely ever eat that). I thought a water fast would be the answer. Not for me either. I had no problem not eating for 5 days but the scales didn't budge. Refeeding tapers are a bit challenging too. A lot of diarrhoea and upset digestion, too.
Neither made me feel like continuing. (YMMV, again)

BTW - I tried both of these with a hypo-thyroid status according to this site (although not my doctor's opinion) . I have recently recovered about 1F degree temperature although still low it is now in the 36C region mostly.
A few years ago I went raw fruit/vegan and although my weight didn't increase, I didn't lose the promised weight eating 3000 cals a day. Hard to get protein (50g is good) and calcium. I think this was a factor but it was great for my skin.

Last edited: