Corn Chips :)

messtafarian

Remember Doc Peat saying that he knew someone who went on a weight loss diet of basically only corn chips fried in coconut oil?

This is one brand. I've been picking them up at my local grocery store:

http://www.el-milagro.com/products_2.html#

I've been buying the *tostada shells* because I looked at them a couple days ago and the ingredients were: Masa Harina, Coconut Oil, Salt, and trace of Calcium Hydroxide (lime). The couple of places I looked online listed corn oil as the frying fat, but on my package from my store, clear as day it's coconut oil.

If you want to experiment with this wonderfood and don't want to fry your own chips from masa harina, this is one option :)

OP
M

messtafarian

These are at a local food chain in the Chicago area called Jewel. El Milagro is a local manufacturer, I think in Pilsen.

Asimov

http://www.honestchips.com/

Here's one for straight potato chips fried in coconut oil. I think the ingredients are "potatoes, coconut oil, sea salt". I actually met the owner. He's a chemist who fully understands the idea of saturated fats being more stable than PUFA and started the company because he refuses to eat PUFA.

He's trying to get national distribution, next year he swore he would have corn chips as well. Crossing my fingers for a great entrepreneur with a solid understanding of biology.

barefooter

messtafarian said:
This is one brand. I've been picking them up at my local grocery store:

http://www.el-milagro.com/products_2.html#

Woh, corn chips made with good ingredients! I wish I could get those around here in Seattle. I haven't been able to find anything. It's hard enough just finding tortillas with half masa harina, half ground corn, it's impossible to find them fried in coco oil.
Asimov said:
http://www.honestchips.com/

Here's one for straight potato chips fried in coconut oil. I think the ingredients are "potatoes, coconut oil, sea salt". I actually met the owner. He's a chemist who fully understands the idea of saturated fats being more stable than PUFA and started the company because he refuses to eat PUFA.

He's trying to get national distribution, next year he swore he would have corn chips as well. Crossing my fingers for a great entrepreneur with a solid understanding of biology.

I've eaten these many times, and they're super good. When I was living in Bellingham, I got a local health food store to cary them.

HDD

Jenn said:
Azure Standard carries a frozen, non filler corn tortilla. If you cut them into quarters or strips, they are very easy to make into tortilla chips using your own coconut oil.

Thanks, Jenn! Is this the same company that sells chicken necks?

NathanK

Here's another brand of corn chips and tortillas recently introduced to my local HEB supermarket (Texas) that I'm pretty excited about: HOLA NOLA! We hand make fresh tortillas & tortilla chips in Louisiana

Chips Ingredients: Ground corn, Coconut Oil, Sea Salt, Trace of Lime. 5/6 grams of fat are saturated. Non-GMO with no preservatives. Not organic, but that likely keeps their cost within PUFA loving competitor price range. I paid $2.49 for a 12oz bag (typical size) with a 50 cent store promotional display coupon.

RP: "...We have already seen how money and propaganda from the soy oil industry eliminated long-established products from the U.S. market. I saw people lose weight stably when they had the habit of eating large amounts of tortilla chips fried in coconut oil, but those chips disappeared when their producers were pressured into switching to other oils, in spite of the short shelf life that resulted in the need to add large amounts of preservatives. Oreo cookies, Ritz crackers, potato chip producers, and movie theater popcorn makers have experienced similar pressures."

(@Dan Wich I noticed your tortilla recommendations are a little bare. These and the El Milagro mentioned up top may be worthy nonorganic additions :))

NathanK

@Dan Wich I have been looking around and having a hard time verifying El Milagro is made with coconut oil as OP said. I know they sell them in Texas so I'll see if I can find them the next time I'm at the store to verify

NathanK

Checked out El Milagro corn chips, tostadas, and tortillas in my local HEB. No sign of coconut oil in any of their products.

HDD

I recently found baked tostadas made by Charras. The ingredients are: white corn flour, iodized salt, and calcium hydroxide. The salt is 60 mg sodium per tostada so I don't think the amount of iodine would be a concern? Anyone have any thoughts on these ingredients?

Nikki

Jackson's Honest coconut oil tortilla chips in both yellow and blue corn. Only $3.50-4.oo on amazon and in whole foods (I use amazon visa to get 5% off)