Getting Tinned/canned Oysters And Mussels In Non-PUFA Oil?

barbwirehouse

Anybody manage to find mussels or oysters tinned in an oil that isn't PUFA? All I can find is crap like sunflower and cottonseed. :cry:

jyb

Fresh from your local fishmonger? I can see other problems than pufa, such as source of the food and cooking methods. It's not surprising you can hardly find them canned. It would cost a huge lot for a canned product, definitely not something that a grocery shopper would pay for. Its more like something you'd get at a restaurant for the sea taste, and canning defeats this purpose.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

jyb said:
Fresh from your local fishmonger? I can see other problems than pufa, such as source of the food and cooking methods. It's not surprising you can hardly find them canned. It would cost a huge lot for a canned product, definitely not something that a grocery shopper would pay for. Its more like something you'd get at a restaurant for the sea taste, and canning defeats this purpose.

Yea, looks like I'm going to have get some fresh ones. :roll:

Birdie

Just checked Amazon and no cloverleaf oysters there. I'm not in Canada.
Seems there have been a lot of contamination problems with the fresh ones here.
Can't remember what brand we've used, but the bumblebee packed in water sound good.

Birdie

Crown Prince has smoked oysters with garlic and butter. I made them into a soup with mushrooms.

Inaut

For Canadians: Costco carries pacific (farmed) oysters in brine in the fresh fish section. Not from China and pretty affordable. Something to look for if you can't find the good canned oysters.

Birdie

For Canadians: Costco carries pacific (farmed) oysters in brine in the fresh fish section. Not from China and pretty affordable. Something to look for if you can't find the good canned oysters.
I wonder if they are in the US fresh fish section. I don't remember one in the US but it's been a while. I remember the Canada Costco had different stuff in general.

Jsaute21

Anybody manage to find mussels or oysters tinned in an oil that isn't PUFA? All I can find is crap like sunflower and cottonseed. :cry:
There are good ingredients at Trader Joe's etc. I had a terrible experience getting sick off them and can't eat canned oysters ever again though.