Pure Synergy Greens

redlight

Would this supplement be of any benefit?
"Synergized Algae
Fresh freeze-dried, cold-dried or Refractance Window dried Pure Spirulina Crystals*, Pure Klamath Crystals*, Pure Chlorella, Dunaliella*, Kelp*, Wakame*, Kombu*, Bladderwrack*, Dulse*, Laver*. 3.40 g ‡
Synergized Phytonutrients & Enzymes
Fresh freeze-dried enzymatically active Sprouts of Millet*, Quinoa*, Broccoli*, Apple Fruit*; fresh freeze-dried Blueberry*, Raspberry*, Green Papaya Fruit*; natural plant Enzymes (Amylase, Cellulase, Lipase, Protease). 2.87 g ‡
Synergized Tonic Herbal Extracts & Asian Mushrooms
Reishi*, Shiitake*, Maitake*, Agaricus*, Cordyceps*. Tonic Herbal Extract*: Astragalus Root*, Eleuthero Root*, Lycium (Goji) Berry*, Angelica sinensis Root*, Schizandra Berry*, Bai-Zhu Atractylodes Rhizome*, Fo-Ti Root*, Paeonia lactiflora Root*, Rehmannia Root*, Codonopsis Root*, Licorice Root*, Jujube Fruit*, Poria*, Ginger Rhizome*, Tangerine Peel*, Polygala Root*, Ligusticum Wallichii Rhizome*. 2.61 g ‡
Synergized Green Juices
Fresh freeze-dried or CO2-dried: juice concentrates of Wheat Grass*, Barley Grass*, Oat Grass*, Alfalfa Grass*; Spinach Leaf*, Parsley Leaf*, Kale Leaf*, Collard Leaf*. 1.72 g ‡
Synergized Western Herbs
Fresh freeze-dried Nettle Leaf*, Red Clover Flower*, Skullcap Flower* and Leaf*, Burdock Root*, Ginkgo Leaf*, Yellow Dock Root*, Dandelion Leaf*; Rose Hips Fruit*. 1.15 g ‡
Synergized Natural Antioxidants
Rosemary Leaf*, Clove Bud*, Sage Leaf*, Natural Vitamin E (Sunflower). 2 mg ‡
* Organically grown, processed and certified.
** Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
‡ Daily Value not established."

The Synergy Company, Pure Synergy, The Original Organic Superfood, Powder, 12.5 oz (354 g)

Greg says

there are just way too many ingredients in my opinion. too much information coming in. it may have beneficial ingredients but perhaps half a dozen of them are allergens to your body. i can see just by having a quick glance that i personally would have a bad reaction to the cordyceps and gingko.

i used to use this a lot, and similar expensive superfood supplements and felt great, but i think it was a mixture of placebo, elevated stress hormones and perhaps a little benefit from certain herbs. but i reckon many ingredients are oestrogenic and counter productive to *optimal cellular respiration.

*a better way of saying 'Peat friendly'.

...but if if makes you feel good, then it is 'redlight friendly', but maybe not 'Peat friendly'. It's not about the ingredients, its about how those ingredients work for you.

Elephanto

Licorice and red clover are among the most estrogenic substances found in nature. The product is faulty in other ways but that alone should discourage you from using it.

johnwester130

Would this supplement be of any benefit?
"Synergized Algae
Fresh freeze-dried, cold-dried or Refractance Window dried Pure Spirulina Crystals*, Pure Klamath Crystals*, Pure Chlorella, Dunaliella*, Kelp*, Wakame*, Kombu*, Bladderwrack*, Dulse*, Laver*. 3.40 g ‡
Synergized Phytonutrients & Enzymes
Fresh freeze-dried enzymatically active Sprouts of Millet*, Quinoa*, Broccoli*, Apple Fruit*; fresh freeze-dried Blueberry*, Raspberry*, Green Papaya Fruit*; natural plant Enzymes (Amylase, Cellulase, Lipase, Protease). 2.87 g ‡
Synergized Tonic Herbal Extracts & Asian Mushrooms
Reishi*, Shiitake*, Maitake*, Agaricus*, Cordyceps*. Tonic Herbal Extract*: Astragalus Root*, Eleuthero Root*, Lycium (Goji) Berry*, Angelica sinensis Root*, Schizandra Berry*, Bai-Zhu Atractylodes Rhizome*, Fo-Ti Root*, Paeonia lactiflora Root*, Rehmannia Root*, Codonopsis Root*, Licorice Root*, Jujube Fruit*, Poria*, Ginger Rhizome*, Tangerine Peel*, Polygala Root*, Ligusticum Wallichii Rhizome*. 2.61 g ‡
Synergized Green Juices
Fresh freeze-dried or CO2-dried: juice concentrates of Wheat Grass*, Barley Grass*, Oat Grass*, Alfalfa Grass*; Spinach Leaf*, Parsley Leaf*, Kale Leaf*, Collard Leaf*. 1.72 g ‡
Synergized Western Herbs
Fresh freeze-dried Nettle Leaf*, Red Clover Flower*, Skullcap Flower* and Leaf*, Burdock Root*, Ginkgo Leaf*, Yellow Dock Root*, Dandelion Leaf*; Rose Hips Fruit*. 1.15 g ‡
Synergized Natural Antioxidants
Rosemary Leaf*, Clove Bud*, Sage Leaf*, Natural Vitamin E (Sunflower). 2 mg ‡
* Organically grown, processed and certified.
** Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
‡ Daily Value not established."

The Synergy Company, Pure Synergy, The Original Organic Superfood, Powder, 12.5 oz (354 g)

One potato, literally has more nutrition in it than 100 grams of spirulina or whatever.

Because they measure it by dry weight, this confuses things.

The supplement is completely useless

JohnA

i used to use this a lot, and similar expensive superfood supplements and felt great, but i think it was a mixture of placebo, elevated stress hormones and perhaps a little benefit from certain herbs. but i reckon many ingredients are oestrogenic and counter productive to *optimal cellular respiration.

I agree with these sentiments, but I still take a similar product, Athletic Greens, when I've been drinking excessively, not sleeping enough, or exercising much more than usual. I think that there are real phytochemical nutrients that Peat followers can lack because of our general avoidance of greens (due to their potential to harm the thyroid). My immune system feels stronger when I use these products.*

On the plus side, these whole food supplements can fix nutritional deficiencies. On the downside, they can introduce new allergenic, oestrogenic or otherwise toxic ingredients. I argue that fixing deficiencies is more beneficial than introducing new (natural) food toxins is harmful. The efficacy of any substance is dose dependent and should follow the law of diminishing returns (the first unit provides more benefit than subsequent units). If you're extremely deficient in chlorophyll, for example, introducing chlorophyll should quickly improve the functioning of systems that use that nutrient. I think that benefit outweighs the chance that some of these substances will radically increase my current toxin load. Using made up numbers, let's say a green supp boosts chlorophyll from 1 to 5 (400% increase), while increasing my estrogen from 5 to 6 (20% increase). The 400% increase of positive substances should outweigh the 20% increase in negative substances.

Of course, there's a chance that this supp is actually increasing my estrogen from 5 to 20 and wrecking my thyroid. But I take Estroban and eat a high calorie, Peaty diet, and haven't noticed any negative thyroid effects since adding in the green supp.

* My anthropological theory is that our ancestors didn't eat raw greens, but got phytochemicals indirectly by eating the stomachs of animals, especially ruminants. These meals included plant matter that was in the process of being digested. Ruminants are much better than humans at digesting greens and are able to neutralize some of the plant's harmful defense systems. The "mineral broth" solutions suggested by Ray Peat and Kate Deering should have a similar effect, but I don't get a sense that making mineral broths is that popular.
Neandertals ate stomach goop, and you can too

Back
Top Bottom