Cyproheptadine - Alternatives

heiler

what do you think about quetiapine? it seems to have lower affinity for the H1 receptor than cypro

tyler

@DaveFoster Is the weight gain a direct effect of cypro's stimulation of appetite, leading to higher-than-normal food intake? Or is there more going on (when taking cypro) that leads to weight gain?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster Is the weight gain a direct effect of cypro's stimulation of appetite, leading to higher-than-normal food intake? Or is there more going on (when taking cypro) that leads to weight gain?
Cyproheptadine antagonizes H1, which increases food intake:

The role of hypothalamic H1 receptor antagonism in antipsychotic-induced weight gain. - PubMed - NCBI

It also acts as a partial agonist of 5HT1a IIRC, similar to other anti-serotonin drugs. This also stimulates appetite and increases dopamine:

Mirtazapine increases dopamine release in prefrontal cortex by 5-HT1A receptor activation. - PubMed - NCBI

5-HT1A Receptor Agonists May Treat Malaria

tyler

Cyproheptadine antagonizes H1, which increases food intake:

The role of hypothalamic H1 receptor antagonism in antipsychotic-induced weight gain. - PubMed - NCBI

It also acts as a partial agonist of 5HT1a IIRC, similar to other anti-serotonin drugs. This also stimulates appetite and increases dopamine:

Mirtazapine increases dopamine release in prefrontal cortex by 5-HT1A receptor activation. - PubMed - NCBI

5-HT1A Receptor Agonists May Treat Malaria
Thank you, very helpful. I have just begun taking 4mg per day and am having an incredible response. I'll keep an eye on my appetite.

rw39

Thank you, very helpful. I have just begun taking 4mg per day and am having an incredible response. I'll keep an eye on my appetite.
can you elaborate on the response you are having?

tyler

can you elaborate on the response you are having?
Sure thing.
Most notably deep sleep and mental ease. It seems to promote a very calm and quiet mind- a natural gravitation towards being present. I have always had obsessive, addictive, and neurotic tendencies and it seems to make it incredible easy to separate myself from those impulses. And less impulses/anxiety in general.
Libido bump, not that I needed that one..
It also has decreased the swelling of my nasal passages and makes nose breathing easy and natural. Skin flushing also reduced.

rw39

Sure thing.
Most notably deep sleep and mental ease. It seems to promote a very calm and quiet mind- a natural gravitation towards being present. I have always had obsessive, addictive, and neurotic tendencies and it seems to make it incredible easy to separate myself from those impulses. And less impulses/anxiety in general.
It also has decreased the swelling of my nasal passages and makes nose breathing easy and natural. Skin flushing also reduced.
that all sounds great. do you get dryness with it? I have dry eyes and generally benadryl makes it worse. I hope cypro wont.

tyler

that all sounds great. do you get dryness with it? I have dry eyes and generally benadryl makes it worse. I hope cypro wont.
I haven't experienced this. I would definitely recommend it if you suffer from any serotonin or histamine issues.

Regina

Sure thing.
Hi tyler,
what time do you dose the cyproheptadine?
Thx! Regina

tyler

Hi tyler,
what time do you dose the cyproheptadine?
Thx! Regina
Hey regina! Still fiddling with dosage.
I've been taking 1mg with breakfast, 1mg with lunch, then 2mg with dinner. Tomorrow I'm lowering my bfast/lunch dose to .5mg to see if i can achieve the same effect with a smaller dose.

Regina

Hey regina! Still fiddling with dosage.
I've been taking 1mg with breakfast, 1mg with lunch, then 2mg with dinner. Tomorrow I'm lowering my bfast/lunch dose to .5mg to see if i can achieve the same effect with a smaller dose.
Cool. Thx

Waynish

Any idea where to buy cyproheptadine with an enteric coating? I've been using haidut's topical for a while, but have not managed to get much to the area of my gut that I'm trying to treat. I'd like to try with an enteric coating for this reason - because I believe it will be most effective inside the damaged part of the small intestine.

milk_lover

Reducing starch in my diet has reduced my need to pop anti-serotonin substances like crypo.

Birdie

Reducing starch in my diet has reduced my need to pop anti-serotonin substances like crypo.
Thanks. This is helpful. I'm thinking of putting my husband on cypro. Can't seem to get him to reduce starch more than I have already and that isn't enough. But I can keep it in mind for me. Reducing starch seemed easy 5 years ago, but now it's not appealing. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the reminder. Easy to get off course.

Husband having nosebleeds. It's humid right now, so cn't blame it on dryness. He uses vitamin K. Well, anyway.
I seem to recall that @Mittir said good starting point is 1mg for cypro. Can't seem to find all that good advice by searching, so will just go by my notes and start him at 1mg twice a day. Then, will move up slowly to I'm not sure what.

Correction: My notes say that Mitter's recommended starting dose is .25 mg once a day.

Last edited:

heiler

cypro 4mg is sold here in brazil to make kids fat

cobavital_30_comprimidos_1.jpg

I've tried 2mg one night and slept for two days.. it had almost zero effect thereafter...

My "goal" with it was to sleep better only.. but I think its sedating effect (by inverse agonizing H1 receptors) are ridiculously fast lived

dand

I thin there is something going on with cypro that leads to weight gain beyond it increasing appetite. It doesn't noticeably change my appetite, but I gain weight when I take it a lot. My activity level is high no matter what so I don't think that's it either. I wonder if it could have something to do with cypros effect on the liver ? Anecdotally, both myself and another friend stopped cypro temporarily or at least reduced the amount we were taking dramatically and each lost ten pounds. I am giving metergoline a try w/ some lisuride and love them both thus far.

InChristAlone

I thin there is something going on with cypro that leads to weight gain beyond it increasing appetite. It doesn't noticeably change my appetite, but I gain weight when I take it a lot. My activity level is high no matter what so I don't think that's it either. I wonder if it could have something to do with cypros effect on the liver ? Anecdotally, both myself and another friend stopped cypro temporarily or at least reduced the amount we were taking dramatically and each lost ten pounds. I am giving metergoline a try w/ some lisuride and love them both thus far.
I was on 0.5 mg for 1.5 years and I did gain weight during that time, but I haven't lost a lb since being off for a few months. I think for some the weight gain is needed. It was for me.

dand

I was on 0.5 mg for 1.5 years and I did gain weight during that time, but I haven't lost a lb since being off for a few months. I think for some the weight gain is needed. It was for me.

For sure. I think some of the weight gain is definitely needed and is muscle mass. I’m quite stout to begin with though. I got all the way up to 235 pounds. I am heavily muscled anyways and some of this was fat gain.