Gastroparesis POTS CFS And Mirtazapine

SB4

Hey guys,

I have been struggling with the above for around 5yrs now and have tried almost everything but have been getting worse. I got really bad recently and was prescribed Mirtazapine, this has helped my POTS noticably and my Apiatiate /gastroparesis is also quite/ improved (though still present). I am wondering if you can help me to determine why?

I know it blocks the Glyciine part of the alpha 2 adrenergic receptor. This would lead to more nor-epinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin however less would be getting activated in the brain, right?

So this would mean more serotonin in the gut which could help with motility.

Also since I think I have big problems with excess adrenaline (hyperadrenegic pots) blocking a2 receptor could also potentially help calm my brain down and put it in a rest and digest state (I am also taking propanolol)?

Anything I am missing here? Any other theories?

Thanks, Sean.

DaveFoster

Mirtazapine would results in lower gut serotonin; it's very constipating. Mirtazapine seems appropriate for your situation of runaway adrenaline. Have you seen this thread?: Long-term Mirtazapine Administration Permanently Lowers Adrenaline

Personal experience states that it doesn't really matter if it downregulates the receptors; the benefits are mainly present with the drug in your system (mainly anti-serotonin, anti-histamine, anti-cortisol.) Mirtazapine administration has been shown to lower cortisol significantly.

Effects of mirtazapine on growth hormone, prolactin, and cortisol secretion in healthy male subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Antidepressant treatment with mirtazapine, but not venlafaxine, lowers cortisol concentrations in saliva: a randomised open trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Influence of mirtazapine on salivary cortisol in depressed patients. - PubMed - NCBI

Endocrinological effects of mirtazapine in healthy volunteers. - PubMed - NCBI

Influence of mirtazapine on urinary free cortisol excretion in depressed patients. - PubMed - NCBI

InChristAlone

Drugs will only take away symptoms they will not heal you but while using the drug I suggest neural retraining for the CFS and POTS which are a result of overproducing adrenaline in response to fear and negative thoughts from the amygdala.

OP
SB4

SB4

Mirtazapine would results in lower gut serotonin; it's very constipating. Mirtazapine seems appropriate for your situation of runaway adrenaline. Have you seen this thread?: Long-term Mirtazapine Administration Permanently Lowers Adrenaline

Personal experience states that it doesn't really matter if it downregulates the receptors; the benefits are mainly present with the drug in your system (mainly anti-serotonin, anti-histamine, anti-cortisol.) Mirtazapine administration has been shown to lower cortisol significantly.

Effects of mirtazapine on growth hormone, prolactin, and cortisol secretion in healthy male subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Antidepressant treatment with mirtazapine, but not venlafaxine, lowers cortisol concentrations in saliva: a randomised open trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Influence of mirtazapine on salivary cortisol in depressed patients. - PubMed - NCBI

Endocrinological effects of mirtazapine in healthy volunteers. - PubMed - NCBI

Influence of mirtazapine on urinary free cortisol excretion in depressed patients. - PubMed - NCBI
thanks man, great post!

OP
SB4

SB4

Drugs will only take away symptoms they will not heal you but while using the drug I suggest neural retraining for the CFS and POTS which are a result of overproducing adrenaline in response to fear and negative thoughts from the amygdala.
I agree about drugs however im in a bad position so i need anything to reduce suffering.
As for amygdala, that only helps slightly , I personally think antibodies are the problem

GAF

Are you bloated and overweight? If so, that is the likely cause of the gastroparesis.

OP
SB4

SB4

Are you bloated and overweight? If so, that is the likely cause of the gastroparesis.
Constantly bloated although that is the result of paresis not cause, not overweight. I'm fairly sure it's antibodies

RatRancher

Have you looked at a possible hiatal Hernia?
The symptoms for POTS and HH appear to be very similar.
I am going through similar issues now and am looking for help.
From what I have gathered POTS can be helped with increased salt,hydration and strengh training of leg muscles.
HH requires physical manipulation to relocate the bulge/fundus of the stomach.
Gastroparesis may be from an inflamed illioceal (sp) valve. The one from the stomach to the small intestine.
Please keep me informed.
R2

Stilgar

I'd agree with RatRancher that salt and hydration status make a huge difference. Mirtazapine will go some way to blocking the stress cascade of high serotonin, cortisol and adrenaline, but it will likely not address the underlying issues. My parents have a cat that was on deaths door, had stopped eating completely and lost considerable weight, and mirtazapine completely reversed that state. Importantly it allowed her to eat again, and that's where the real work is.

Diet is essential and should give you satisfying resolution of symptoms eventually. I'd experiment and try to identify meals that alleviate symptoms or digest ok. I'd look into meal composition and try to see if endotoxin could be a problem. In my own experience a lot of dizziness, adrenaline and blood pressure issues arose for me when I had extreme gut distress, low appetite, low blood sugar and gastroparesis. It is a viscious and horrible thing to escape from. Sometimes the most surprising meals made my gut problems SO much better- macaroni cheese, lasagne, fish and buttery potatoes, that kind of thing. Heavy on the fat in a moreish and wholesome kind of way.

Butter, coconut oil, cream, nice home cooked meals that get you excited (think comforting, salty and delicious things with balance macros), carrots and cascara are a good start. And consider laying off milk and oj for a while to get your gut straight if you are a bit attached to that way of eating and it isn't working.

CRS

Hey guys,

I have been struggling with the above for around 5yrs now and have tried almost everything but have been getting worse. I got really bad recently and was prescribed Mirtazapine, this has helped my POTS noticably and my Apiatiate /gastroparesis is also quite/ improved (though still present). I am wondering if you can help me to determine why?

I know it blocks the Glyciine part of the alpha 2 adrenergic receptor. This would lead to more nor-epinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin however less would be getting activated in the brain, right?

So this would mean more serotonin in the gut which could help with motility.

Also since I think I have big problems with excess adrenaline (hyperadrenegic pots) blocking a2 receptor could also potentially help calm my brain down and put it in a rest and digest state (I am also taking propanolol)?

Anything I am missing here? Any other theories?

Thanks, Sean.
It's called Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome! My son had POTS and tummy trouble.... It's called MALS for short! It's a ligament that you can go in for surgery for and they release the ligament from squeezing the blood flow from the heart and it corrects tummy gastoporesis or however you spell it. You find a vascular surgeon who can do a sonogram on the area and tell you the blow flow.... We went to Dr. Suleman in Dallas, tx. and went to Dr. Kane at Children's in Washington DC because he was under 18. Cured headaches too.