Serotonin Reduction

Aidin91

Hi
I want to know how to decrease serotonin levels(I already tried gelatin which didn't help me much)?
is there any relation between high serotonin and fibromylagia (stiff neck and headache)?
Thanks a lot

DaveFoster

Hi
I want to know how to decrease serotonin levels(I already tried gelatin which didn't help me much)?
is there any relation between high serotonin and fibromylagia (stiff neck and headache)?
Thanks a lot
Definitely; high stress levels can trigger fibromyalgia.

Anti-serotonin cyproheptadine, ketanserin, ritanserin, mianserin, and mirtazapine and also drugs of the anti-histamine class should be helpful. There's usually overlap.

L

lollipop

Lysine is a strong anti-serotonin substance that might be easier to purchase than the substances Dave recommended.

Edit: BTW...Aspirin is as well isn't it @DaveFoster?

DaveFoster

Lysine is a strong anti-serotonin substance that might be easier to purchase than the substances Dave recommended.

Edit: BTW...Aspirin is as well isn't it @DaveFoster?
@Aidin91

Yes it does.

Acetaminophen raises serotonin/adrenaline, aspirin lowers it

Also, aspirin is an NSAID and can relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia, which are largely caused by estrogen (as alluded to in a higher prevalence of fibro among women.) Ray recommends aspirin, dyphenhydramine (Benadryl), and cyproheptadine (Periactin) for fibromyalgia.

Mufasa

Worth a shot to lower serotonin:

- carrot
- bamboo shoot
- mushrooms
- bacteriophages
- lysine
- theanine
- cypro
- metergoline
- antibiotics ( i would be very cautious, even ray peat acknowledged the downsides lately )
- variety in life, change your environment, do something out of the usual

raypeatclips

Worth a shot to lower serotonin:

- carrot
- bamboo shoot
- mushrooms
- bacteriophages
- lysine
- theanine
- cypro
- metergoline
- antibiotics ( i would be very cautious, even ray peat acknowledged the downsides lately )
- variety in life, change your environment, do something out of the usual

Could you point me to what he said about antibiotics?

Mufasa

I think in an email he said that bacteriophages may be superior to antibiotics, because bacteria cant get resistant to bacteriophages as is the case with antibiotics.

Personally, I feel like bacteriophages are better because they target more the biofilms, and the "sticky" bacterias which the immune system usually has problems coping with.

Rock_V

My best advice to you, would be base your diet around foods which are easy to digest for you. Given that the majority of serotonin is made in the gut, eating things which irritate the lining of the intestine will likely cause you issues. Ancient Medical Systems like Ayurveda and Chinese Medicine have recognised over thousands of years that foods which are hard to break down can make you feel sluggish, tired and foggy, which is why they don't recommend eating much raw food.

Also try picking up a new hobby, learning something new, meeting some new people; essentially breaking your routine and at the same time avoiding stress.

The sun also seems to help just about everything, so I would imagine getting sun exposure would also help you.

Birdie

I've found that Ray Peat's comments on anything have helped. I read his newsletters and articles and let the info settle into my brain. I find any article of his will give insight.

Some of his recommendations include adding: sugar, salt, naltrexone, penicillin, raw carrot, light, cooked mushrooms, milk, coffee, pregnenolone.
Lower serotonin is a big goal in the Peat world. It's central along with lowering estrogen... All works together.

I've just added back glycine. I do use some lysine too. I can't use gelatin because of the high amount of arginine in it. But if you can use it, it will work along with the other suggestions of his.

If you go to his website and put fibromyalgia into the search box, you'll get something to start.

Birdie

Estrogen increases serotonin.

"Because some estrogen is secreted In the bile, adequate fiber in the diet (oats, potato. or raw carrots, for example) and regular bowel function help to prevent the build-up of estrogen, which inhibits the thyroid.
(Estrogen which has been excreted in the bile can be reabsorbed from the intestIne if there is slow transit time and too little fiber.)

A deficiency of B vitamins or protein is also known to prevent the liver from excreting estrogen.
One of the ways in which starvatIon inhibits thyroid function is by damaging the liver function.

Vegetarians are sometimes dangerously deficient in protein, and in that state the body is very resistant to thyroid hormone. Elevated serum calcium is probably one of the factors in creating a slate of thyroid-resistance during stress.”

Intestinal Serotonin and Bone Loss – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

sele

I think in an email he said that bacteriophages may be superior to antibiotics, because bacteria cant get resistant to bacteriophages as is the case with antibiotics.

Personally, I feel like bacteriophages are better because they target more the biofilms, and the "sticky" bacterias which the immune system usually has problems coping with.
Are these available in the market.
Pharma drugs?

Birdie

Are these available in the market.
Pharma drugs?
Ray mentioned two. One by Life Extension called Bacteriophages I think. The other is called Floraphage. I chose the second after checking the excipients.

LUH 3417

@Aidin91

Yes it does.

Acetaminophen raises serotonin/adrenaline, aspirin lowers it

Also, aspirin is an NSAID and can relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia, which are largely caused by estrogen (as alluded to in a higher prevalence of fibro among women.) Ray recommends aspirin, dyphenhydramine (Benadryl), and cyproheptadine (Periactin) for fibromyalgia.
I'm a bit concerned about Benadryl. I've been using it to sleep and found a study about its link to dementia.

Strong Anticholinergics and Incident Dementia

DaveFoster

Birdie

I don't remember at the moment but Ray has good things to say about Benadryl.
However, not for me. Tried it several times. Then forgot my side effects and took it again.
My usual story!
Anyway, in my case it seems to cause rapid heart beat. I gave it several tries for that to be sure it was related.
Also dries up my eyes too much. It could have contributed to a case of blepharitis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals