Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

Mittir

You need to have a good supply of glycogen( liver storage of sugar)
to be able to sleep through the night without raising cortisol. You do no want to use
fat or muscle tissue as energy source. It is very important that
you eat some sugar with fat to replenish your glycogen storage before bed.
Milk with some sugar and ice cream are good mix of fat and sugar.
OJ is fine too. It is ok to eat gelatin before bed since it does not
contain tryptophan.Gelatin is a great sleeping aid.
Salt helps with sleep and regulating blood sugar.
Adding salt to OJ or milk is helpful.
I think you need to read RP materials in more detail .
Here is a link to all his audio interviews
http://eastwesthealing.com/ray-peat/
Here is link to all his articles. Try reading his articles on " sugar". His views on sugar
is very unique and foundation of his recommendation.
http://raypeat.com/articles/

jjones

Great information. Thanks! I was wondering about bedtime and read some about ice cream. Any guidelines on how much to have? A serving size is 1/2 c ice cream or 1c milk, is that adequate for the night? How close to sleep should you eat it? I've been having some like 8:30 for 10pm bedtime.

I don't get that many carbs in the day, should snacks always contain P,F,C? Can you have a serving of fruit by itself? My gelatin is on the way so I think that will be good at bedtime, too. Is 2T ok?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I like to have my bedtime snack a few minutes before I hit the sack. The closer to bedtime the better. :2cents

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I like to have my bedtime snack a few minutes before I hit the sack. The closer to bedtime the better. :2cents
Yeah, me too. I normally had a small glass of milk with sugar before bed. It's harder for me to limit myself to couple TB of haagen dazs. :roll: I sleep really good when I do the milk and sugar before bed.

jjones

So is lunch more protein/fat than carbs/fruit or is it always more carb to about equal protein to fat? I'm having a hard time getting the portions or ratios info down. Just starting back into fruit and sugar, it all seems like a lot to me and I still worry a bit about my blood sugars running rampant from it all. So I know the amounts in relation to each other are important. Is about 185grams of carb a day and 80 protein divided out between meals and snacks about right? What about fat grams per day?

When do you eat the raw carrot salad, by itself or with a meal?

Does the bedtime snack count in the days totals or is it not all that strict? Why add sugar to the milk when it has higher sugar to begin with and in balance? Just curious.

Also, does anyone here take their blood sugar on this program to see that there aren't high levels all day? Has anyone had success with improving thyroid function to the point of going off thyroid meds eventually? I guess, how do you know when the body/metabolism has healed? I am on thyroid meds and my temps/bp/pulse are good in the day...because I take the right amount of medication. If i were to lessen or stop the meds, of course, all 'hypo' breaks loose! If there is a forum area for this info let me know. Thank you!

Mittir

Best is to eat carrot salad in the afternoon separate from meal.
In each meal you need to have at least equal amount of protein and carb, preferably more carb.
Eating protein without carb will lower blood sugar and that will increase cortisol.
I add 2 TBS of sugar to a glass of milk before bed ,because it helps me with sleep.
You may not need any sugar at all. It is different for different people.
But, hypothyroid people usually have problem storing sugar in liver.
RP also suggest that you take some part of your thyroid med before bed.
TSH goes up during sleep. You can search the forum for related threads.
You will get a better idea about blood sugar if you read his articles on
diabetes and sugar.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/sugar-issues.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

jyb

On a side note...why isn't Coca-Cola a good growth medium for bacteria? It has water and sugar. Yet, I believe one can leave an opened bottle at room temperature up to several days. Is it due to the pH (as long as there is still some CO2 left)?

Gelatin sweets are also interesting. It's gelatin, water and sugar (I believe the water content is still there). Is it due to water molecules being trapped and unusable by bacteria? PS. Haribo gummy bears have remarkably low gelatin content...it's 6.9g per 100g.

4peatssake

jyb said:
On a side note...why isn't Coca-Cola a good growth medium for bacteria? It has water and sugar. Yet, I believe one can leave an opened bottle at room temperature up to several days. Is it due to the pH (as long as there is still some CO2 left)?

Gelatin sweets are also interesting. It's gelatin, water and sugar (I believe the water content is still there). Is it due to water molecules being trapped and unusable by bacteria? PS. Haribo gummy bears have remarkably low gelatin content...it's 6.9g per 100g.
hmmm interesting. No way I'll give up my Mexican coke! ;) I can't leave one opened for several days without it going flat though, and warm. Very not good. :sick:

As for the gummy bears, I don't have a good feeling about any of the store bought ones and my favorite homemade gummies are made with coffee and sweetened condensed milk. If I'm making fruit based ones I use OJ and lemon juice so pretty safe and no other poopy ingredients, just sugar, gelatin and fruit juice.

jjones

Question: What's the general thoughts on organic plain greek yogurt, either homemade or brands using grass fed milk? At about 24grams of protein per cup with carbs/fat, add some fruit, some raw honey, can that be a good breakfast with coffee, maybe 4oz oj? I'm not getting eggs that are clear of grains, they are non-gmo, but have organic corn/soy feed. They are locally pature-raised, but everyone supplements with grains. So, I don't like to eat eggs everyday. Because I'm recently switched to milk, sugar and fruit...I don't have a repetoire of choices. I'm going day by day on what should I eat? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but it seems like I'm high in fats and low in protein. I'd like some suggestions from you veterans on meal options. Thanks.

Mittir

Greek yogurt with fruits or honey is a very good meal.
Calcium content of greek yogurt and cottage cheese is quite low
compared to milk. You have to make sure you get around 1200 mg of calcium.
You can eat up to 50 percent of your protein in gelatin form. Gelatin is really a super food.
It is a very pro thyroid protein. I feel good benefit just from 1-2 TBS.
Gelatin should be totally dissolved in water. For some, gelatin can cause digestive problem.
Great lake's Hydrolysated gelatin is easier to digest. It is better to start slow.
You need a good source of Vitamin A to make good hormones like progesterone, DHEA.
Egg yolk is a good source but best source is Liver. For a hypothyroid person liver is always sluggish.
You need all the liver nutrient to energize your liver. Chicken liver has milder taste but low in copper.
Just soaking in milk over night removes most of the bad taste. I eat beef liver mostly.
I make 10 small pieces and fried those in butter. I only eat one small piece with each meal for
few days.

jjones

Thanks, those are great suggestions. I just got my "green" gelatin today. I only had the orange one, which I'm used to, but could use to drink it in juice or cold things so I can have it more easily. I've never had a problem with it. I will try the liver in milk. I don't really like the taste, but I can handle it in small doses. Do you reheat it or cook it as you go?

Btw, are yellow and/or purple onions allowed? I would cook them. Also wondered about garlic, cooked and raw. I put garlic in almost everything one way or another. Are powered spices ok, like onion and garlic powder? Are the green spices not ok, like oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves? What about cooking with fresh?

Dutchie

Mittir said:
Greek yogurt with fruits or honey is a very good meal.
Calcium content of greek yogurt and cottage cheese is quite low
compared to milk. You have to make sure you get around 1200 mg of calcium.
You can eat up to 50 percent of your protein in gelatin form. Gelatin is really a super food.
It is a very pro thyroid protein. I feel good benefit just from 1-2 TBS.
Gelatin should be totally dissolved in water. For some, gelatin can cause digestive problem.
Great lake's Hydrolysated gelatin is easier to digest. It is better to start slow.
You need a good source of Vitamin A to make good hormones like progesterone, DHEA.
Egg yolk is a good source but best source is Liver. For a hypothyroid person liver is always sluggish.
You need all the liver nutrient to energize your liver. Chicken liver has milder taste but low in copper.
Just soaking in milk over night removes most of the bad taste. I eat beef liver mostly.
I make 10 small pieces and fried those in butter. I only eat one small piece with each meal for
few days.

Is Cottage Cheese really lower in calcium? What if you make your own 'cottage cheese' from heating up some milk and then pouring in some lemon juice to make the milk solids subtract? Does that process somehow lower calciumcontent?

Mittir

@jjones
I reheat the liver for few seconds in microwave. Sometimes i just eat without reheating.
I think it is better to cook as you go if you can afford the inconvenience.
RP did mention in an interview that for hypothyroid people cooked onion and garlic
can be problematic, causing gall bladder spasm. So it depends on individual.
Garlic and onion both are rich source of soluble fiber.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwesthe ... -endotoxin

I am not sure about his views on green spices. But he thinks black pepper is unhealthy.
You can check list of goitrogenic greens and spices.. I think in small amount spices can not be a problem

@Dutchie
Most calcium are lost with whey in homemade or store brought cottage cheese unless they add extra calcium.
Always check the nutrition description.

Birdie

Des Esseintes said:
Read mangos are from the same family as poison.

As far as I've seen, Ray doesn't recommend mangos. I recall his talking about "mango poisoning" which he experienced once when he overdid it.
Narouz has mentioned mangos are in the same family as poison ivy. (I think that's what you meant to say.)

From Danny Roddy, a quote from Peat:

"Bananas and jack-fruit are strong allergens, possibly because of their cultivation methods. Mangos, apples, and pears are allergenic to some people."

Mittir

Here is an interesting article on mango allergy.

Contact Dermatitis. 2005 Jan;52(1):3-5.
Exploring the mango-poison ivy connection: the riddle of discriminative plant dermatitis.
Hershko K, Weinberg I, Ingber A.
Department of Dermatology, Hadassah University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91120, Israel.
Abstract

A relationship between sensitivity to poison oak or poison ivy and mango dermatitis has been suggested by previous publications. The observation that acute allergic contact dermatitis can arise on first exposure to mango in patients who have been sensitized beforehand by contact with other urushiol-containing plants has been documented previously. We report 17 American patients employed in mango picking at a summer camp in Israel, who developed a rash of varying severity. All patients were either in contact with poison ivy/oak in the past or lived in areas where these plants are endemic. None recalled previous contact with mango. In contrast, none of their Israeli companions who had never been exposed to poison ivy/oak developed mango dermatitis. These observations suggest that individuals with known history of poison ivy/oak allergy, or those residing in area where these plants are common, may develop allergic contact dermatitis from mango on first exposure. We hypothesize that previous oral exposure to urushiol in the local Israeli population might establish immune tolerance to these plants.

Birdie

Googling calcium I find:

1 cup milk 300mg
1 cup cottage cheese 130mg
1 cup yogurt 450mg

I would imagine the cottage cheese is less Ca per cup since there is more air between curds.

Mittir

Birdie said:
Googling calcium I find:

1 cup milk 300mg
1 cup cottage cheese 130mg
1 cup yogurt 450mg

I would imagine the cottage cheese is less Ca per cup since there is more air between curds.

Nutritionally Cottage Cheese is lot like strained yogurt, where liquid whey part is removed.
Lot of calcium is lost with the liquid. Calcium content of yogurt looks bit high, they probably
have made yogurt with reduced milk, that would increase concentration of calcium.
13 grams protein per 8 oz has 480 mg. But one cup of whole milk has 8 grams of protein and
275 mg of calcium. I used nutritiondata.com .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals