Nightshades

tomisonbottom

There are references, but I do not think there are any double blind controlled studies. Norman F. Childers was an agricultural professor at Rutgers University and he wrote a book about nightshades and health at least as early as 1977. see The Nightshades and Health: Norman Franklin Childers, Gerald M. Russo: Amazon.com: Books

Linus Pauling was a 2 time Nobel prize winner and he got no respect from the medical/pharmaceutical industry because he wasn't a medical doctor. I suspect that similar logic can be used to explain why the medical profession has not embraced Childer's observations.

Nightshades are a real problem for me. My main symptom was morning stiffness in my fingers. It came about gradually when I was in my 50's. I initially thought it was just a normal part of aging. Giving up nightshades helped a lot. Potato starch is added to some prepared food and I have to read food labels to avoid it.

Solanine is a glycoalkaloid poison found in the nightshade family. It turns out that solanine is found to a lesser extent in other foods including blueberries and huckleberries. Eliminating blueberries as well as nightshades from my diet completely solved the morning stiffness in my fingers.

The main nightshades are shown in the cover of Childer's book see https://www.dirtdoctor.com/pics/content_img.1029.img.jpg

also, the website The Arthritis Nightshades Research Foundation has been established to research why and how usage of the Solanaceae is causing arthritis in humans, and the relation they may have to other serious problems such as: heart aliments, cancer, circulatory problems, stroke, fast aging, Alzheimer's, high blood pressure, crippling, and deterioration of major organs in the body."> <meta>

Did you eat peppers and tomatoes too? Or just potatoes and blueberry?

David PS

Did you eat peppers and tomatoes too? Or just potatoes and blueberry?
I no longer eat peppers and tomatoes. I did eat them until I was in my mid 50's. I try to practice total avoidance of all of the nightshades.

Last Saturday, I went to a summer barbecue picnic at a friends house and I ate a sausage (after beer). The sausage must have been seasoned with Paprika (a nightshade) because my fingers started tingling about four days later. The sensation is most intense in my pinkie finger (little finger) on my right hand. I am still waiting for things to get back to normal.

As a general rule, I do not eat foods or condiments that list 'spices' or 'natural seasonings' as an ingredient. I am embarrassed to admit that I am human and I make mistakes.

I gave up blueberries but I have resumed eating them without negative consequences. There may be some truth in the idea that 'you can't believe everything that you read on the internet'.

Josh

What is better in terms of toxins/lectins tc.. White potatoes or white rice?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
All nightshades are anywhere from agrivating to poisonous. Nightshades are among the top causes of inflammatory diseases.

Just because you don't immediately feel negative effects from well cooked potatoes, doesn't mean it's not there.

I think the tropical alternative, the white flesh sweet potato is a safer food.

I can't tolerate any sort of potatoes... They cause me terrible inflammation.

rei

Nightshades have developed potent toxins to protect themselves from us. In some cases like the tobacco this has literally made people obsessed with them and ensured their continual enslavement and ritual sacrifice.

Capsaicin is a close second. Many people become addicted to the heat of chilies.

Beefcake

Why would nightshades be mouldier than other vegetables? From what I understand tomatoes for example its the seeds and peels that has lectins in them. Lectins are made to keep bugs away and they are irritating for the gut. Research has shown to bing to your gut walls causing communication. Likely in a negative way increasing serotonin and inflammation. Potatoes also high in lectins that appear to be resistant to heat as you still have 40-50% of the lectins left after cooking them.

Purification and characterization of potato lectin. - PubMed - NCBI

Do dietary lectins cause disease? : The evidence is suggestive—and raises interesting possibilities for treatment 

Lectins, agglutinins, and their roles in autoimmune reactivities. - PubMed - NCBI

CLASH

@Beefcake
Tomatoes are lower in lectin than potato because they are a fruit and thus meant to be eaten. Unripe tomatoes, not meant to be eaten yet, have much higher concentrations of the toxic compounds. The skins and seeds of all fruits are higher in “antioxidants” which are all essentially pesticide.

Frankdee20

I think one issue with Nightshades, not mentioned here yet, can be the tendency to inhibit the breakdown of acetylcholine. I watched Nathan Hatch's video on curing alcoholism, and the implication of acetylcholine in driving addictive disorders.

achillea

The nightshades are at least moderate if not high in oxalates, Thus the stiffness in the morning and the odd maladies.

SOMO

Fun fact: Tomato Paste is made by removing the seeds and skins of tomatoes, i.e. the part that contains the supposed "toxins".

I pretty much only eat tomato paste or salsa. I generally don't eat tomato sauce or sliced tomatoes by themselves.

achillea

Not so fun fact: tomato paste is high in oxalate i.e. 10-15 mg per serving and is very high in salicylate

SOMO

Not so fun fact: tomato paste is high in oxalate i.e. 10-15 mg per serving and is very high in salicylate

10-15 mg is minute compared to the amounts found in spinach and chocolate, both of which RP recommends.

In the absence of kidney issues, why is Oxalate and issue?

And I haven’t seen any convincing salicylate is an issue for anyone except hypochondriacs who claim blueberries make them feel “weird”.

achillea

Listen to the video above.
It is a hidden issue that needs to be at least looked at.
Dr. Peat also recommends bamboo shoots which like chocolate and spinach is heavily laden with oxalates. Is he relying on the orange juice, citric acid, to mitigate the oxalate crystals forming? Maybe

ShotTrue

There are references, but I do not think there are any double blind controlled studies. Norman F. Childers was an agricultural professor at Rutgers University and he wrote a book about nightshades and health at least as early as 1977. see The Nightshades and Health: Norman Franklin Childers, Gerald M. Russo: Amazon.com: Books

Linus Pauling was a 2 time Nobel prize winner and he got no respect from the medical/pharmaceutical industry because he wasn't a medical doctor. I suspect that similar logic can be used to explain why the medical profession has not embraced Childer's observations.

Nightshades are a real problem for me. My main symptom was morning stiffness in my fingers. It came about gradually when I was in my 50's. I initially thought it was just a normal part of aging. Giving up nightshades helped a lot. Potato starch is added to some prepared food and I have to read food labels to avoid it.

Solanine is a glycoalkaloid poison found in the nightshade family. It turns out that solanine is found to a lesser extent in other foods including blueberries and huckleberries. Eliminating blueberries as well as nightshades from my diet completely solved the morning stiffness in my fingers.

The main nightshades are shown in the cover of Childer's book see https://www.dirtdoctor.com/pics/content_img.1029.img.jpg

also, the website The Arthritis Nightshades Research Foundation has been established to research why and how usage of the Solanaceae is causing arthritis in humans, and the relation they may have to other serious problems such as: heart aliments, cancer, circulatory problems, stroke, fast aging, Alzheimer's, high blood pressure, crippling, and deterioration of major organs in the body."> <meta>
Nice referencing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals