"Safe Pan" For Eggs

L

lollipop

This is true of all pans. They must be adequately preheated. And fat added to an already hot pan.

With eggs this fast cooking lowers harmful oxidation of cholesterol.
Interesting @Jc42 and @ecstatichamster - great info to have. Did not know about the oxidation of cholesterol. Boy do I appreciate this forum and everyone's contributions! I am learning sooooo much. Thank you everyone and @charlie for efforts and contributions ❤

managing

Bialetti. coated in a composite granite. very nonstick, very resistant, and appears to be very inert . . .

800mRepeats

burtlancast

I believe Vision is now made from soda lime glass, a much more fragile glass than the original borosilicate one.

managing

Is this the "granito" pan? (I couldn't find a "granite.")
Per the description on Amazon Amazon.com: Bialetti 10-Piece Granito Cookware Set Gray: Kitchen & Dining
  • Dishwasher Safe: No
  • Warranty: Lifetime Limited
  • Oven Safe: Yes, 400F
  • PFOA Free: Yes
  • PTFE Free: No
  • Metal Utensil Safe: Yes
  • Induction Capable: No
PTFE is Teflon. :(
This is interesting. PTFE is very susceptible to abrasion and is never metal utensil safe. It also doesn't bond well and the finish is clearly some kind of granite composite, but PTFE couldn't be a bonding agent. I put in a question to bialetti asking for clarification. I am wondering if the PTFE is in the handle. I don't generally use pans in the oven unless they are well-seasoned SS. But if its in the handle, I definitely wouldn't. Thanks for pointing this out,as I would never have suspected it at all given the above reasons.

x-ray peat

ugh, so I thought ScanPan was the answer to the age old problem of how to fry an egg, but then I found this
Teflon ScanpanCookware.com
SCANPAN does not use DuPonts TEFLON product, but rather relies upon their own research and development team in Denmark to develop their own PTFE-based coatings as used on the SCANPAN product.

aguilaroja

This is not best non stick variant but very safe pan.
Six years, no scratch.
Zepter says that chromium is concentrated at the surface. This may bear watching as the pan surfaces wears with use. Zepter uses 18/10 stainless steel, which is usually not the magnetizable, low nickel material.

http://www.zepter.com/MainMenu/Products/HomeArt/MasterpieceCookware/Frying-Pans-(v2).aspx
“URA Technology is a chemical procedure that enhances the concentration of chrome (Cr) on the surface of the bottom of the pan. As you know stainless steel AISI 304 is made up of steel and a large percentage of (Cr) chrome and Nickel (Ni). Exactly 18% Chrome and 10% Nickel, (In fact its definition is stainless steel 18/10). With URA Technology the Cr content in the first 0.5-1 micron of the surface is nearly doubled, which creates the non-stick ability.”

Bone Density: First Do No Harm
“28. Med Hypotheses 1995 Sep;45(3):241-6. Anabolic effects of insulin on bone suggest a role for chromium picolinate in preservation of bone density. McCarty MF. “Physiological levels of insulin reduce the ability of PTH to activate protein kinase C in osteoblasts, suggesting that insulin may be a physiological antagonist of bone resorption. In addition, insulin is known to promote collagen production by osteoblasts.” [I think chromium is too toxic to use as a supplement.]

Iron's Dangers
“Q: How do I know which stainless steels are safe? 
“There are two main types of stainless steel, magnetic and nonmagnetic. The nonmagnetic form has a very high nickel content, and nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic. It is much more toxic than iron or aluminum. You can use a little "refrigerator magnet" to test your pans. The magnet will stick firmly to the safer type of pan.”

x-ray peat

I'm starting to feel like Glum from the old Gullivers Travels cartoon. I just bought a vintage Visions Glass pan off of ebay but then found this post:
https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/skinny-safe-cookware/

"Someone asked about the Visions glass Cookware. We have a large amount of the original brown glass version from the 1970s. It was recommended to us as the least toxic cookware. We have used it for quite a few years, including to make a lot of bone broth that we cooked for 2-3 days.
About a year ago, two in our family (the two who ate the most from the glass pots) came up with heavy metal poisoning from nickel. One of the two was quite sick. A lot of tests were done on our water and other things in our environment to find the source but nothing came up as an obvious source for numbers so high. (Son had 17 times normal nickel levels). We decided to test the Visions cookware. We used a place called Chem-Tech Labs in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. We submitted samples of our tap water and the same tap water that we boiled for varying lengths of time in three of our Visions pots and pans. In all cases, the water boiled in the Visions cookware had higher nickel than the original tap water. This includes one sample boiled only a couple minutes.
We were told to find a toxicologist to help us interpret what the health effects could be from the elevated nickel in the water from the Visions cookware. We didn’t do so as we had already spent a lot on the tests. Instead, we stopped using the Visions cookware one year ago. Detox began in earnest after that and one person in the family was pretty sick for months as the nickel got out. Slowly, the family members have gotten better."

ugghh

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cooking on a stick is looking better and better. :eggface:

squanch

I'm starting to feel like Glum from the old Gullivers Travels cartoon. I just bought a vintage Visions Glass pan off of ebay but then found this post:
https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/skinny-safe-cookware/

"Someone asked about the Visions glass Cookware. We have a large amount of the original brown glass version from the 1970s. It was recommended to us as the least toxic cookware. We have used it for quite a few years, including to make a lot of bone broth that we cooked for 2-3 days.
About a year ago, two in our family (the two who ate the most from the glass pots) came up with heavy metal poisoning from nickel. One of the two was quite sick. A lot of tests were done on our water and other things in our environment to find the source but nothing came up as an obvious source for numbers so high. (Son had 17 times normal nickel levels). We decided to test the Visions cookware. We used a place called Chem-Tech Labs in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. We submitted samples of our tap water and the same tap water that we boiled for varying lengths of time in three of our Visions pots and pans. In all cases, the water boiled in the Visions cookware had higher nickel than the original tap water. This includes one sample boiled only a couple minutes.
We were told to find a toxicologist to help us interpret what the health effects could be from the elevated nickel in the water from the Visions cookware. We didn’t do so as we had already spent a lot on the tests. Instead, we stopped using the Visions cookware one year ago. Detox began in earnest after that and one person in the family was pretty sick for months as the nickel got out. Slowly, the family members have gotten better."

ugghh

Standard 18/10 stainless steel is 10 % nickel.

There is no nickel in borosilicate glass and it's extremely heat and chemical resistant. The vision cookware (the one made in France) is literally sold in shops specifically for people with nickel allergy. I really don't see how anything could leach here at all.