What Are Good Ways To Increase Insulin Sensitivity?

Elron

This is all I have at the moment:
  1. Exercise in general
  2. Niacinamide
  3. Emodin
  4. Chromium
Any other ways, feel free to comment below.

schultz

Avoid PUFA and eat frequently (keep cortisol and adrenaline down)

Build bigger muscles

Keep all fats low included saturated:

"Just about everything that goes wrong involves FFA increase. If they are totally saturated fatty acids, such as from coconut oil and butter, those are less harmful, but they still tend to shift the mitochondrial cellular metabolism away from using glucose and fructose and turning on various stress related things; By lowering the carbon dioxide production I think is the main mechanism."-RP

and lose all excess body fat:

@tyw said:

"An obese person would ideally try to become non-obese.

When one is obese, there is almost always going to be systemic insulin resistance. We should take "insulin resistance" to mean: Cells that are not eager to uptake more energy into the cell.

Firstly, in this state of energy-uptake-phobia, fructose is probably the one thing that has the lowest processing capacity. I discuss this here, in which fructose in the obese is much much more likely to lead to De-novo Lipogenesis than it is in the Lean -- Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

Excess glucose can do this too, but there is clearly a larger margin of error due to greater glucose storage capacity, and a faster rate of processing glucose.

But in any case, an obese person should probably try to normalise their body composition to a non-obese state. Doing so is by definition, "eating a high fat diet". ie: An obese man losing 2lbs of fat a week is "eating 2lbs of extra fat a week (from their own fat stores)".

The difference between actually eating that fat as dietary fat, and mobilising it from stores, is that the reduction of adipose stores also comes with systemic effects like improved insulin sensitivity, while eating dietary fat probably accentuates insulin resistance. (won't go into mechanics here, interested readers can search my other posts for details)

TBH, I am practically-minded when it comes to losing excess fat -- do so using whatever diet that is sustainable for a decent period of time. The benefits of fat loss outweigh any potential downsides of macronutrient composition.

I am biased to say that "low fat is better", but honestly, whatever works to get people back to a non-obese baseline is really what matters first, and then experimentation with macronutrient ratios can start.
"

Natural Bodybuilding Competition With RP's-style Diet

WestCoaster

- Fasting
- Zero or Low Carb (easiest and quickest way). This triggers physiological insulin resistance in the peripheral tissues making them (and those soley that can use glucose) hyper insulin sensitive when carbs are consumed. You'll experience a warm full feeling in the muscles with oodles of energy when carbs are consumed. Fitness models use this trick to do their photoshoots on the days of carb reloading
- Ceylon Cinnamon
- Good sleeping patterns (Without this, it won't matter what your doing, you'll remain insulin resistant)

Intermittent fasting is not really fasting. It's a reduced calorie diet/feeding "window" and it says nothing of what the person is eating. Only "dry" fasting and water-only fasting are true fasts but dry fasting is only done by weird hippies who lie about what they are really doing because it's impossible to do a dry fast for more than a few days. Water is needed for hydration and elimination of metabolic waste products through the kidneys. Intermittent fasting won't do anything for insulin resistance if one continues to eat high fat.

Energy usage of the body comes in 5 stages:
  1. Directly from the food in your stomach/GI.
  2. Glycogen from your liver.
  3. Glycogen from your muscles.
  4. Ketosis: from your adipose tissues (fat deposits).
  5. Starvation: from your vital organs and tissues.
We take 2-3 days to reach stage four and that’s when actual fasting begins. To reach stage five, it takes the typical person 40 days (depending on body reserves). And we would look anorexic from having lost our fats. There is a temporary loss of some protein before stage 4 begins. Water only fasting at stage 4 is a powerful way to restore insulin sensitivity but it most likely needs a few more days, about 10, which is really about 7 days from when stage 4 began.

"Fasting is a scientific method of ridding the system of diseased tissue, and morbid matter, and is invariably accompanied by beneficial results. Starving is the deprivation of the tissues from nutriment which they require, and is invariably accompanied by disastrous consequences. The whole secret is this: fasting commences with the omission of the first meal and ends with the return of natural hunger, while starvation only begins with the return of natural hunger and terminates in death. Where the one ends the other begins. Whereas the latter process wastes the healthy tissues, emaciates the body, and depletes the vitality; the former process merely expels corrupt matter and useless fatty tissue, thereby elevating the energy, and eventually restoring the organism that just balance we term health." -Hereward Carrington

Last edited:

fradon

1. Exercise in general
  2. Niacinamide
  3. Emodin
  4. Chromium

burn fat...low fat high carb/plant based diet

acoording to PEAT donating blood and loweing iron will increase insulin sensitivity

Peatfan19

1. Exercise in general
  2. Niacinamide
  3. Emodin
  4. Chromium

Apple cider vinegar.

Based on personal experience, I found ACV to be a powerful and effective remedy, while cinnamon is also effective, as pointed out above.

ACV has been shown to raise (post-pandrial) insulin sensitivity by 34%, and studies indicated that ACV possess physiological effects similar to diabetes drugs such as acarbose or metformin, likely via the acetic acid in ACV suppressing disaccharidase activity and raising glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle.

Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes ("Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes."

I believe part of the mechanism may also involve ACV's role in countering acidosis (via its alkalizing effect, e.g. ACV is one of the most effective remedies for heartburn), with acidosis known to be a cause of insulin resistance. See e.g. below:

Metabolic Acidosis-Induced Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Risk ("Metabolic Acidosis-Induced Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Risk.") ["Many recent epidemiological studies link metabolic acidosis indicators with insulin resistance and systemic hypertension. The strongly acidogenic diet consumed in developed countries produces a lifetime acidotic state, exacerbated by excess body weight and aging, which may result in insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes, contributing to cardiovascular risk, along with genetic causes, lack of physical exercise, and other factors."]

Of some interest, and purely based on personal experience, is the fact that I also found ACV to have a powerful (positive) impact on (male) libido. Not sure what the mechanism is, likely because of its impact on cholesterol, which is a precursor and building block of testosterone and other steroid hormones.

Make sure you get raw and unfiltered ACV, not the clear, amber-colored stuff you find in supermarkets. You can find the unfiltered variety in any good health food store.

Wagner83

Apple cider vinegar.

Based on personal experience, I found ACV to be a powerful and effective remedy, while cinnamon is also effective, as pointed out above.

ACV has been shown to raise (post-pandrial) insulin sensitivity by 34%, and studies indicated that ACV possess physiological effects similar to diabetes drugs such as acarbose or metformin, likely via the acetic acid in ACV suppressing disaccharidase activity and raising glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle.

Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes ("Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes."

I believe part of the mechanism may also involve ACV's role in countering acidosis (via its alkalizing effect, e.g. ACV is one of the most effective remedies for heartburn), with acidosis known to be a cause of insulin resistance. See e.g. below:

Metabolic Acidosis-Induced Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Risk ("Metabolic Acidosis-Induced Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Risk.") ["Many recent epidemiological studies link metabolic acidosis indicators with insulin resistance and systemic hypertension. The strongly acidogenic diet consumed in developed countries produces a lifetime acidotic state, exacerbated by excess body weight and aging, which may result in insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes, contributing to cardiovascular risk, along with genetic causes, lack of physical exercise, and other factors."]

Of some interest, and purely based on personal experience, is the fact that I also found ACV to have a powerful (positive) impact on (male) libido. Not sure what the mechanism is, likely because of its impact on cholesterol, which is a precursor and building block of testosterone and other steroid hormones.

Make sure you get raw and unfiltered ACV, not the clear, amber-colored stuff you find in supermarkets. You can find the unfiltered variety in any good health food store.
How much do you take for those effects? Do you ingest it with meals? As for the heartburn and alkalamazing effects, @Amazoniac may want to read about them.

cyclops

Energy usage of the body comes in 5 stages:
  1. Directly from the food in your stomach/GI.
  2. Glycogen from your liver.
  3. Glycogen from your muscles.
  4. Ketosis: from your adipose tissues (fat deposits).
  5. Starvation: from your vital organs and tissues.
We take 2-3 days to reach stage four and that’s when actual fasting begins.

It's been said that we're always burning fat to some degree...is this not true? How do people burn fat when not in ketosis?

Last edited:

Peatfan19

How much do you take for those effects? Do you ingest it with meals? As for the heartburn and alkalamazing effects, @Amazoniac may want to read about them.

1 tablespoon in a glass of water, before meals. As an added bonus it improves digestion and completely eliminated issues I had with bloating etc.

I also add ACV to my daily carrot salad.

Amazoniac

It can only counter acidosis if it's through some indirect means, for example improving digestion and so metabolism. Otherwise it increases acidity, unless it has been neutralized. But no one consumes in enough quantity to be concerning.