Ritanserin - Serotonin Antagonist For R&D Use Only

Rad

I couldn't get on with this. I started on one drop in the morning but slept fitfully and was extremely tired the next day. My guts felt like I was experiencing anxiety or the beginnings of diarrhea but bowel movements were fine.

I kept at one drop for 4 days but had to call it a day. I guess I could have tried a much wider dosing but cfs and all, I don't always think clearly.

I have reacted badly to an ssri when I was younger. I was given prozac but hated it. I can't remember what all the symptoms were (definite detaching from reality - well even more than usual) but I went to the doctor and he switched me onto the lowest possible dose, using the liquid form. It was still too much and I had to stop. The effects lingered and I started hearing the voices of my friends talking about me being my back when they weren't.

My experience of 5htp is that if I took it for more than a day I would go in the exact same direction. I've never taken it more than once in a row because of its immediate side effects.

I can certainly get a sense that serotonin has been an inhibiting factor in my life, from what I hear Ray say about it. I am amazed what I put up with in my life without making any movements to escape. Whilst any number of things could be going on, I wonder whether my sensitivity to the action of ritanserin is a result of a life lived with high serotonin, for want of a more exact or specific term. I don't want to be a masochist but I am interested if this sensitivity could be pushed through.

BobbyDukes

I couldn't get on with this. I started on one drop in the morning but slept fitfully and was extremely tired the next day. My guts felt like I was experiencing anxiety or the beginnings of diarrhea but bowel movements were fine.

I kept at one drop for 4 days but had to call it a day. I guess I could have tried a much wider dosing but cfs and all, I don't always think clearly.

I have reacted badly to an ssri when I was younger. I was given prozac but hated it. I can't remember what all the symptoms were (definite detaching from reality - well even more than usual) but I went to the doctor and he switched me onto the lowest possible dose, using the liquid form. It was still too much and I had to stop. The effects lingered and I started hearing the voices of my friends talking about me being my back when they weren't.

My experience of 5htp is that if I took it for more than a day I would go in the exact same direction. I've never taken it more than once in a row because of its immediate side effects.

I can certainly get a sense that serotonin has been an inhibiting factor in my life, from what I hear Ray say about it. I am amazed what I put up with in my life without making any movements to escape. Whilst any number of things could be going on, I wonder whether my sensitivity to the action of ritanserin is a result of a life lived with high serotonin, for want of a more exact or specific term. I don't want to be a masochist but I am interested if this sensitivity could be pushed through.

I wonder this, too. People I know who have been on whopping doses of SSRIs long term (decades) admit that they feel absolutely nothing from the drug in comparison to how it used to effect them (yet the drug still subtly controls their symptoms). Your body will always fight to restore homeostasis with the introduction of that foreign chemical, no matter what condition you unfortunately suffer from (at baseline).

Serotonin antagonists make me feel extremely melancholic. To the point where I can't last longer than a few days. But the constipation usually gets me first before the melancholy starts to really grate on me. You could argue that lack of thyroid function was the cause of this, but my thyroid has always measured ok during these experimentations (also, pulse/temps were good).

But long term, I wonder what happens? Serotonin receptors probably become more responsive.

I think it would actually improve mood long term (ritanserin) in my case, anyway.

Maybe I might experiment again with ritanserin one day.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

bruschi11

@haidut Thank you. Think you're going to really help me get my life back FARRR sooner than later. I can't wait for it.

Regina

Hi Rad,
"I started hearing the voices of my friends talking about me being my back when they weren't." This is an interesting symptom. I am sorry to learn you experienced this.
Recently, I lost a friend/teacher who was/is experiencing a kind of intense paranoia. I guess it's high serotonin in conjunction with all the stress chemicals of exhaustion. Her suspicions about being talked about when she's not there to see it (control it), eventually made me run away from it. The change in her role from peer and friend to teacher made it not possible for me to try to talk with her about the worsening conditions. I really loved her and had enormous respect for her teaching and accomplishments, but she would subject me to 'isolated dress-downs' as soon as I would show up for class. I'd come early to warm up and maybe chew the fat with her like ole times. I'd open the door with a big smile and she'd glare and say "We need to talk." And take me out back and accuse me of weird betrayals and lies. I didn't even know what she was talking about. I would just wait it out and say "I'm so sorry you feel that way. Let's go back inside." Incredibly, she would respond with, "I better not learn you're lying to me."
Obviously, I moved on to a different place to train.
Interestingly, I am the only one to leave. It was like stepping out of an MRI. Very stressful environment and similarly, I am amazed at how much people are putting up with and just staying in the situation. I've definitely been that way myself in the past and thinking I had to just stay and take it. But now, more and more, I am seeing most people around me stay and tolerate terrible tyranny as if it isn't even happening.
Even if I say to someone (in the aikido dojo dressing room) suffering from, say, chronic knee injury, ANYTHING at all about maybe trying vitamin K2. The room goes quiet and people look up with a unified front of scolding faces. The inevitable question is, "Are you a Doctor?" I do understand the subtle clues of no unsolicited advice; it's not that. I mean, there is no way to connect and talk freely. There's a fear of authority. No one is chill. There is the learned happy face but not the deep optimism of any inquiry whatsoever.
I hope you can resolve the serotonin. You're probably in a lot better shape than most just by the fact that you investigate and take an interest.

I've commented on this before but would like to add another comment.

I recently took the ritanserin again after not taking it for some time. I have to say this stuff creates an awesome night sleep for me. I can literally feel how it affects the slow wave sleep. I feel much more refreshed. I plan to use it 4 times a month - once a week at 4 drops to have those 4 solid nights of sleep. Would love to do it more but my mood just takes too big of a hit. Later down the road I will try less drops multiple times a week to see effect.

I plan to take a dose again tomorrow night and it's one of the things I've been looking forward to all week haha, am such a geek :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've commented on this before but would like to add another comment.

I recently took the ritanserin again after not taking it for some time. I have to say this stuff creates an awesome night sleep for me. I can literally feel how it affects the slow wave sleep. I feel much more refreshed. I plan to use it 4 times a month - once a week at 4 drops to have those 4 solid nights of sleep. Would love to do it more but my mood just takes too big of a hit. Later down the road I will try less drops multiple times a week to see effect.

I plan to take a dose again tomorrow night and it's one of the things I've been looking forward to all week haha, am such a geek :)

Lol, thanks for this feedback! Do you feel depressed or simply tired if using too often?

Area-1255

It's odd, me on the other hand I get a powerful mood boosting effect from the Ritanserin. I find even trivial things more funny, and I feel less mentally cluttered. I think the dopamine-reuptake-inhibiting effects must be there, because it does feel similar to Catuaba and Amineptine (DRI's) with an extra kick. Also, my rat's friend with OCD, the one with gray/silver fur, tends to improve in OCD, specifically compulsions with Ritanserin, whereas with Metergoline he gets worse, my guess is thats because Ritanserin is a 1D-antagonist, whereas Metergoline is a 1D-agonist. Aside from that difference, they are both remarkably similar in terms of their breadth of serotonin antagonist activities.

passivity

So I suffer from agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Which one would suit me the best, ritanserin or mianserin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So I suffer from agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Which one would suit me the best, ritanserin or mianserin?

Can you please not ask questions here related to human usage, and especially human conditions?! This is an R&D chemical, not for human use. Mianserin and ritanserin have similar profile but I cannot compare them as mianserin has adrenergic and anti-histamine effects, which ritanserin has very little of or none at all.

passivity

Can you please not ask questions here related to human usage, and especially human conditions?! This is an R&D chemical, not for human use. Mianserin and ritanserin have similar profile but I cannot compare them as mianserin has adrenergic and anti-histamine effects, which ritanserin has very little of or none at all.
ok sorry!

thanks for the info!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Will this be available again at some point?

I am trying to find a reason to keep selling it as it seems to not offer much that metergoline by itself or cypro + lisuride cannot also do. And ritanserin has fluoride in the molecule, which Peat spoke against when asked.

Aflac

You posted a study earlier in the thread showing that ritanserin had *significantly* increased slow wave sleep, by like *90 to 120 minutes*. If I read that correctly in the study, that is profound.

My rat has very disturbed sleeping patterns/impaired sleep homeostasis such as: lack of adequate sleep pressure in general and lack of sleep pressure following deprivation, awakenings, short sleep, unrefreshing quality (could be due to lack of sufficient rebound increase in SWS, which itself could be due to my lack of sleep pressure).

My rat will be undergoing a sleep study in less than a month. If I should find that my rat's disturbed sleep shows evidence of reduced SWS, I was really looking forward to treating him with this chemical.

These health problems have really broken my rat's spirit. If I can fix my rat's sleep I think his soul may once again shine. But I don't know. Basically I had my hopes (for my rat) set on this stuff; pending his sleep study.

Would it be possible to get this before you discontinue? Maybe it's worth keeping around if it has such profound effects on SWS.

Do any of your other products have the same documented powerful effects on SWS?

A dose-response study examining the effects of ritanserin on human slow wave sleep. - Idzikowski - 2012 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

thank you

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You posted a study earlier in the thread showing that ritanserin had *significantly* increased slow wave sleep, by like *90 to 120 minutes*. If I read that correctly in the study, that is profound.

My rat has very disturbed sleeping patterns/impaired sleep homeostasis such as: lack of adequate sleep pressure in general and lack of sleep pressure following deprivation, awakenings, short sleep, unrefreshing quality (could be due to lack of sufficient rebound increase in SWS, which itself could be due to my lack of sleep pressure).

My rat will be undergoing a sleep study in less than a month. If I should find that my rat's disturbed sleep shows evidence of reduced SWS, I was really looking forward to treating him with this chemical.

These health problems have really broken my rat's spirit. If I can fix my rat's sleep I think his soul may once again shine. But I don't know. Basically I had my hopes (for my rat) set on this stuff; pending his sleep study.

Would it be possible to get this before you discontinue? Maybe it's worth keeping around if it has such profound effects on SWS.

Do any of your other products have the same documented powerful effects on SWS?

A dose-response study examining the effects of ritanserin on human slow wave sleep. - Idzikowski - 2012 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

thank you

Cyproheptadine and metergoline should have the same effects. In fact, I think cyproheptadine is already known to do that.
Suppression by cyproheptadine of human growth hormone and cortisol secretion during sleep.
"...The intravenous infusion of cyproheptadine increased slow wave sleep, although the time from sleep onset to the first occurrence of slow wave sleep was not affected. In contrast, rapid eye movement sleep was significantly decreased by cyproheptadine. These results suggest that cyproheptadine inhibits growth hormone and ACTH secretion during sleep in man, possibly by antagonizing serotoninergic mechanisms although other actions of the drug are not ruled out."

Aflac

-as you said you were looking for a reason to keep this around. From what I found Ritanserin does seem to be superior to Cypro and certainly to Metergoline in the SWS department. So I think you should keep it around. Obviously I'm really making a case here lol. I have no idea if my rat will even respond to it; but the studies show such a powerful effect on SWS
------------------------------------------
Cypro seems to work to increase SWS in normal healthy subjects BUT NOT in subjects with issues such as depression, and I was not able to find a study that showed by HOW MUCH, while there are several studies showing the profound (even doubling SWS time) increases with Ritanserin. Metergoline was shown NOT to increase SWS.

Ritanserin seemed to help even the people WITH a brain abnormality such as depression. I would think most on this site are not considered normal health controls, as normal healthy people don't buy and use research chemicals for their rats.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"The 5-HT2 receptor antagonist cyproheptadine significantly increased slow wave sleep in 12 healthy control subjects but not in 12 patients with a history of major depression, maintained on tricyclic antidepressant treatment"
Slow wave sleep and 5-HT2 receptor sensitivity during maintenance tricyclic antidepressant treatment. - PubMed - NCBI
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ritanserin, a selective and potent serotonin-2 antagonist, is effective in the treatment of a variety of syndromes related to anxiety and depression, including dysthymic disorder. In animals and healthy volunteers, ritanserin specifically increases slow-wave sleep and the hypothesis arises that this effect on sleep may contribute to its therapeutic properties. Therefore, we studied the effects of ritanserin on sleep in a group of dysthymic patients (DSM-III). Polygraphic recording as well as subjective evaluations of the quality of sleep were performed before and at the end of a 4-week period of double-blind medication with either ritanserin (10 mg o.d. in the morning) or placebo. At baseline, patients showed at fragmented and superficial sleep, with low amounts of slow wave sleep. Ritanserin significantly increased Slow Wave Sleep and changed the frequency and distribution of some stage transitions during the night. No other sleep parameters were modified by ritanserin treatment.
Effects of ritanserin on sleep disturbances of dysthymic patients. - PubMed - NCBI
---------------------------------------------------------------------
A previous study has shown that acute administration of the 5-HT2 receptor antagonist ritanserin doubles Slow Wave Sleep (SWS) and increases the prolactin (PRL) response to l-tryptophan (LTP).....The results suggest that ritanserin causes a sustained effect on the 5-HT mechanisms mediating SWS and on platelet 5-HT2 receptors
The effects of chronic ritanserin treatment on sleep and the neuroendocrine response to l-tryptophan
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here results again showed Ritanserin to increase SWS stage 3 in depressed patients BUT even Ritanserin could not increase stage 4 in these patient......
"This study explored the effects of a single dose or ritanserin (5 mg) on sleep electroencephalography in 18 major depressed patients and in 10 control subjects. Ritanserin affected SWS differently in the two groups. Although stage 3 increased significantly in the groups, in contrast to controls, there was no significant effect of ritanserin on stage 4 in depressed patients.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-27_16-32-30.png
    upload_2017-3-27_16-32-30.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 11

yerrag

@haidut Is this out of stock as the icon "Add to Bag" can't be found?