How Do You Fix Cushing Like Symptoms In A Dog?

My dog is a female, 7 years old.

Always very, very nervous.

Was diagnosed with low platelets and ultrasound found small liver, abnormally small.

She's low in potassium and otherwise behaving fine, but drinking a lot of water. And has very high ALP and pretty high ALT.

We're giving her T3, T4, pregnenolone, progest-E and sugar, D3, K2, taurine, salt.

They say this is Cushings-like.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Regina

Was diagnosed with low platelets and ultrasound found small liver, abnormally small.

She's low in potassium and otherwise behaving fine, but drinking a lot of water. And has very high ALP and pretty high ALT.

We're giving her T3, T4, pregnenolone, progest-E and sugar, D3, K2, taurine, salt.

what about adding aspirin?

OP
ecstatichamster
I was wondering about aspirin, @Regina. She has low platelets, is aspirin still advised? It's not dangerously low but it is like 40,000. At 20,000 spontaneous bleeding starts...

haidut

Forum Supporter

Cyproheptadine is approved for treating Cushinf disease in many animals such as horses, cats, rabbits, and I think even dogs. I don't know what the dose would be but you can Google for "cyproheptadine Cushing dog" and quite a few results pop up.

DrJ

Calcium! If high ALP means high alkaline phosphatase, I was able to bring my almost 10yr old dog from a crazy 347u/L to a center-of-normal 98u/L in four months through diet. He was peeing a lot then, too. He basically gets 200g cottage cheese every meal with a little hard dog food to keep him regular (it's the Trader Joe's Holistic). I would definitely be careful with the high-meat dog foods, b/c my dog was on some fancy grain free (so high meat) hard dog food before this all started.

He also gets 0.1g aspirin 2X day, 0.2g taurine 2X day, and 2-2.5g glycine 2X day. To counter the aspirin he gets a 25mg chewable Vitamin K tablet from VetOne. For reference, my dog is about 31.5lb (came down from about 35lb on diet). Vet says this is his healthy weight and she was super impressed with his alkaline phosphatase coming down so much.

A few times a week he gets about a Tbsp of fructose powder or honey, and a little coconut oil.

OP
ecstatichamster
Dog bounced back. Seems perfectly normal now. Not even drinking excessively. Back on meat, bones, t3 and t4, progesterone, K2 and vitamin D3.

Giving her 4mg cyproheptadine now also for allergies

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm so thrilled to find this thread. My 10 year old boxer started acting strange last night and this morning began urinating and drinking water excessively. I got her into the vet and her urine tested as very, very dilute- almost like water. The vet is sending off blood work and the results should be back Tuesday. He said that he suspects it's most likely Cushing's. In the meantime I'm going to go ahead with some of the suggestions in this thread.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I forgot to mention that the urination is so bad she is now wearing a diaper and has completely filled two XL dog diapers since noon despite going outside every hour. I'll let you all know if she gets better. She just had 1mg cyproheptadine, 2 drops progesterone (simply progesterone), and liver is on the way.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
IMG_0606.JPG

Regina

Good luck with her Blossom. She looks great. I wonder if an ABX like macrolide might help along with electrolytes, the T3 and progesterone.
I don't know. I just keep rotating things with my dog.
Tonight, he got a plate of ice cream.
But K2, pau d'arco, pregnenolone, charcoal, coconut oil are standard.
Thinking good thoughts......

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Good luck with her Blossom. She looks great. I wonder if an ABX like macrolide might help along with electrolytes, the T3 and progesterone.
I don't know. I just keep rotating things with my dog.
Tonight, he got a plate of ice cream.
But K2, pau d'arco, pregnenolone, charcoal, coconut oil are standard.
Thinking good thoughts......
Thanks Regina. She loves coconut oil. I have pegnenolone and charcoal on hand so I might try those tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply.
I fed her well salted liver, put gelatin and a little salt in her drinking water and gave her another dose of cyproheptadine. I just changed her diaper so that makes 4 that she has used in about 10 hours. I also gave her 3 more drops of progesterone. She seems calmer now and is currently in bed. She seems happy.

noordinary

@Blossom poor dog...
First thing I do every time my dog gets sick (like throwing up continuously or diarrhea or anything suspicious really) i unfreeze and give him Green Tripe.
9 out of 10 that one thing clears up any symptoms, works like magic.
I purchase a lot at a time and keep to in the freezer: http://www.greentripe.com/products.html
They may have it in the frozen section at Petco, i think someone at the dog park once mentioned it.
As for the food, when the dog is seek i make slightly warm mixture of: milk (raw whole because i can get it in WA) + honey (2 tbsp or more) + egg yolks, that usually helps too.
As well as bone broth with salt.
Honey is always a saver too: sometimes i'd give him pure honey alone, and always apply to any wounds.
I hope your girl will get better!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have some lapodin so I might try that as well.

@Regina, the vet gave her the dog equivalent of augmentin because she has borderline red cells in her urine. There was some previous discussion on the forum that it might raise NO. She's had one dose because husband wanted her to take it.

I just noticed a hemorrhage in her eye. Gave her some vitamin k.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom poor dog...
First thing I do every time my dog gets sick (like throwing up continuously or diarrhea or anything suspicious really) i unfreeze and give him Green Tripe.
9 out of 10 that one thing clears up any symptoms, works like magic.
I purchase a lot at a time and keep to in the freezer: GreenTripe.com's Products Page
They may have it in the frozen section at Petco, i think someone at the dog park once mentioned it.
As for the food, when the dog is seek i make slightly warm mixture of: milk (raw whole because i can get it in WA) + honey (2 tbsp or more) + egg yolks, that usually helps too.
As well as bone broth with salt.
Honey is always a saver too: sometimes i'd give him pure honey alone, and always apply to any wounds.
I hope your girl will get better!
Thanks for the great ideas noordinary! And the well wishes of course.

noordinary

Blossom

Forum Supporter
And liver! raw or frozen
She had a liver feast tonight! If nothing else she loved it.
She just soaked through her 5th diaper, two thick blankets and my pants leg. I think she is sicker than the vet or any of us realized. Hopefully she pulls through in the next few days.

noordinary

She had a liver feast tonight! If nothing else she loved it.
She just soaked through her 5th diaper, two thick blankets and my pants leg. I think she is sicker than the vet or any of us realized. Hopefully she pulls through in the next few days.
Hopefully your girl pulls through! 3D65F75E-9A4B-4D6C-B85B-1B4BE079939E.jpeg
Main sending you best wishes

Lilly

Good luck to your dog Blossom, hope everything turns out well.

Try taking her off the dog food and cook for her. Dog foods in general , even the most expensive ones, are irritating to the gut and not suitable for the prolonged use. I cook for my dog and it is not difficult nor expensive as it sounds. Chicken with carrots, rice and some veggies ( usually parsley) is the staple food. Also liver, eggs , cheese , fruit .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals