Interview With Ray Peat On Government, Libertarianism, And Social Class

Ahanu

Actually, expresso has less caffeine as the coffee is very dark roast which burns most of the caffeine and Ray like his coffee at 45 C I read somewhere as then much of the nutrients are still intact.
I found this quote from peat but i dont know:
"The antioxidants in very fresh coffee might have some special value, but I think instant coffee is on average just as good as brewed coffee. The high temperature of espresso gets the most caffeine, lower temperature processes get the minerals and vitamins (mostly niacin) and aroma, but a little less of the caffeine"

thomas00

Gulf war one was absolutely essential

When Saddam was threatening to invade Kuwait, the US State department and US officials at the UN were publicly declaring that the US had no obligation to defend Kuwait. This is on the public record, undeniable fact.

This sent a clear message to Saddam that he could invade and face no repercussions. Obviously that wasn't the case.

Why did the US say one thing and do the other? Why didn't they just threaten to unleash hell if Saddam crossed the border instead of saying the very opposite? It would have stopped a war from ever happening, or at the very least had a greater chance of stopping it than giving Saddam the green light.

The answer is obvious when we take into our account the value of oil and what it represents to any nation wishing to dominate the world. Without a genuine security threat, the US could not have had the opportunity to position itself as Kuwait's bodyguard. Britain and the US have always done this in the middle East to get oil- they make regimes dependent on them for their survival in order to get preferential oil deals and permission to put their armies on their turf.

Heres some more gems about that seemingly justified war:

"The administration leaked reports that tens of thousands of Iraqi troops were massing on the border of Saudi Arabia in preparation for an invasion of the world's major oil fields. The globe's industrial economies would be held hostage if Iraq succeeded. The reality was different. Two Soviet satellite photos obtained by the St. Petersburg Times raised questions about such a buildup of Iraqi troops. Neither the CIA nor the Pentagon's Defense Intelligence Agency viewed an Iraqi attack on Saudi Arabia as probable.

Americans were riveted by a 15-year-old Kuwaiti so-called refugee's eyewitness accounts of Iraqi soldiers yanking newborn babies out of hospital incubators in Kuwait, leaving them on a cold floor to die.

The public didn't know that the eyewitness was the daughter of Kuwait's ambassador to the United States, and that her congressional testimony was reportedly arranged by public relations firm Hill & Knowlton and paid for by Kuwait as part of its campaign to bring the United States into war.

To this day, most people regard Operation Desert Storm as remarkably clean, marked by the expert use of precision weapons to minimize "collateral damage." While American TV repeatedly broadcast pictures of cruise missiles homing in on their targets, the Pentagon quietly went about a campaign of carpet bombing. Of the 142,000 tons of bombs dropped on Iraq and Kuwait in 43 days, only about 8% were of the "smart" variety.

The indiscriminate targeting of Iraq's civilian infrastructure left the country in ruins. A United Nations mission in March 1991 described the allied bombing of Iraq as "near apocalyptic" and said it threatened to reduce "a rather highly urbanized and mechanized society ... to a preindustrial age." Officially, the U.S. military listed only 79 American soldiers killed in action, plus 59 members of allied forces.

A subsequent demographic study by the U.S. Census Bureau concluded that Iraq probably suffered 145,000 dead -- 40,000 military and 5,000 civilian deaths during the war and 100,000 postwar deaths because of violence and health conditions. The war also produced more than 5 million refugees. Subsequent sanctions were estimated to have killed more than half a million Iraqi children, according to the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization and other international bodies."

The Lies We Are Told About Iraq

gulf war 2 was called for

The distinct lack of nuclear weapons we were told would imminently be sent our way, disagrees with this sentiment.

Iraq is no better off today without Saddam. Torture is still rife. Islamic radicalism is worse than before. Security is worse than before.

And the US is certainly not at less risk of attack than it was prior to 2003. If anything the opposite is true:

Iraq 101: The Iraq Effect - The War in Iraq and Its Impact on the War on Terrorism - Pg. 1

Last edited:

thomas00

America functions as the only self-experiment in democracy and freedom

The US has supported more nutcase dictators and crushed more democratic movements than any other nation in history.

The Sandinistas, Noriega, General Zia, military rule in South Korea, the Shah, Pinochet, the toppling of Allende...the list of thuggery is endless.

There is no evidence the US uses its military might to spread democracy and freedom around the world. It's fantasy and propaganda fed to the American public.

Kyle M

The equation of democracy and freedom baffles me. Being ruled by a king isn't freedom, being ruled by a king and his aristocracy isn't freedom, being ruled by a dictatorial government made up of thousands of people isn't freedom, but being ruled by representatives voted on by a simple majority of the people in a given bordered nation, that's freedom. You're absolutely free to be forced to do or have done to you whatever that majority wants, up to and including murder.

AJC

The US has supported more nutcase dictators and crushed more democratic movements than any other nation in history.

The Sandinistas, Noriega, General Zia, military rule in South Korea, the Shah, Pinochet, the toppling of Allende...the list of thuggery is endless.

There is no evidence the US uses its military might to spread democracy and freedom around the world. It's fantasy and propaganda fed to the American public.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but I just wanted to draw attention to a point I see made very often, and one that I think gets a bit misconstrued.

"America: 1776-circa 1913" probably functioned as one of the only self-experiments in liberty in history, at least in recent times.

However, "America: WWI to the Present Day" has supported the nutcase dictators you referred to, and largely abused power, limited freedom, and bred corruption.

Really, in examining some of the history of the early 20th century, as well as the huge shift in public policy that took place around that time and still continues today, it really seems to me that these behaved as two different countries, at least as far as the leadership is concerned-- the first one founded on sacred ideals and the second one having been seized covertly from within by globalists that seek world chaos and power. ("Creature from Jekyll Island" or "Tragedy and Hope" for references)

I think using the word "America" to cover all of these occurrences does a disservice to the original intention and spirit of the country. I think it misses the point of the problem, which is not "America" in the sense of its citizens and original precepts (think Constitution/Bill of Rights), but is the usurpation of these original principles by the few to gain greater power, which has really created the modern mess you referred to.

So, if I was to rephrase the sentence you wrote in something that is more in-line with what I said above, I would have said something like:
"The top power class of the Unitied States has supported more nutcase dictators and crushed more democratic movements than any other nation in history, and has conned the rest of the Government and the majority of the American people into going along with it. Or if not done overtly , they've done it secretly without room for intervention. All of this is drastically opposed the spirit of the American founders, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution."

Ok, thanks for allowing me that little tirade. :ghost:

thomas00

I agree with you that it's unfair to blame the entire citizenry of the US for the actions of it's military and government. It's quite obvious that what large parts of the American public believe their government is doing and what it is actually doing are world's apart and that's entirely attributable to the dominant forces in the culture (media, education, government) which deal in a combination of propaganda, misdirection, imposed ignorance and obedience training.

Drareg

I've never seen this. All I've seen was about two posts from nice, sweet people who asked about a "Peat" inspired vegan diet. I've never seen "mania." You exaggerate.

People are allowed to perceive and discuss Peat in any way they want to, as allowed under this forums rules. Stop trying to control people. No one is "projecting" anything. They are exploring ideas.

Have you ever read this quote:?

"Since the contextuality of communication is always in the foreground when I talk or write, you know that someone is confusing me with an authority when they talk about my ‘protocol’ for something. Context is everything, and it’s individual and empirical.” -RP

People have been getting mad at me for years now when I post a Peat quote that they don't like. It makes me laugh. They didn't do enough research. I like Peat more for his anti-authoritarianism (minus any leftist type) and more for his views on hormones than trivial dietary matters.

You tend to see what you project.
Your quote below,you see what you done there right,when you use the word stop in my direction.
"People are allowed to perceive and discuss Peat in any way they want to, as allowed under this forums rules. Stop trying to control people. No one is "projecting" anything. They are exploring ideas."

You post strawman arguments relentlessly and your post here is no different.

Atman

Has anyone archived the interview? The link doesn't work anymore.
Should have copy pasted the actual text instead of the link.

Thank you, very interesting. I rarely agree with Dr. Peat on these kinds of issues but he is incredibly well read and has a coherent viewpoint which is kind of rare today. I always learn something.