Anyone Help With My Labs?

mangoes

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Well, I've gotten bloods done and I was wondering if I could get some knowledgable opinions. I'd be really grateful. The above range ALT and albumin makes me think that my liver is congested possibly slightly fatty, is that right? The doctor said it was "nothing to worry about" even though previous tests showed within range levels. I'm gonna try high dose k2, taurine & glycine and possibly caffeine. I was diagnosed with a b12 and folate deficiency before & it looks like I'm borderline folate deficient again. I had an abdominal scan before which showed terminal ileitis and lymphadenopathy, followed up by a colonoscopy which showed nothing wrong, but another scan after showed the same inflammation. I believe it could be something like SIBO, but then wouldn't I have had high folate and b12? I'm sure I read the bacteria synthesises these vitamins somewhere. Whereas I seem to be low a lot. I know it doesn't have all Peaty tests like cortisol and a full thyroid panel is important but I'm gonna be ordering it privately as the doctor said she couldn't order any of the other tests I need. I'd like to know what you all think of the other tests within range, if there's anything I'm missing standing out to you re: kidney tests, prolactin, etc.

Age 23, male. Symptoms include digestive problems, laryngopharyngeal reflux (different to normal GERD) some neurological symptoms like a full body tremor, weak muscles, terrible skin condition and acne, poor circulation cold limbs frequently, cold intolerance. Abdominal fat and gynecomastia with really thin arms and no muscle mass. Typical high cortisol, estrogen, serotonin etc. Thanks a lot :)

PakPik

Hi Jonoh :)

There's the possibility, besides bacterial, of having a fungal, viral, protozoan or nematode overgrowth in the small intestine. So it can be SIBO, SIFO, SIVO, SIPO, SINO ;) This can potentiate inflammation, which can generate nutrient malabsorption, or even the bugs themselves can eat up your nutrients. Also, problems like gastritis can generate folate and B12 deficiency.

How is your vitamin A intake? this is a crucial nutrient for intestinal defenses.

Do you avoid industrial gums such as carrageenan, or other toxic additives? Carrageenan for example is used in the labs to induce all sorts of colitis and even colon cancer in animals.

A very severed gut can definitely contribute or even cause vascular problems, and vice versa: keeping the gut healthy can do wonders for a not so healthy vascular system. Same thing for neurological problems, they can be exacerbated by bad gut issues. The main mediators of gut inflammation are serotonin, nitric oxide, cortisol, tumor necrosis factor, and antagonizing these may allow the tissue to heal.

Peat likes Albumin to ideally be on the top of range, so in that sense, your albumin seems good to me. I'd worry if it got higher, though.

Your cold limbs and some of your other issues suggest compromised metabolism. Having gut issues is definitely a drag on metabolism, as this tends to lead to liver shut down. With shut down of liver, usage of sugar suffers, therefore the conversion of T4 to T3 is impaired, the detox of estrogen and other substances is impaired as well. As a result of this stress cortisol raises, which furthers shuts down thyroid/metabolism.

If you'd like to, you can share with us what your typical diet looks like, how many calories on average, and people may give you some advice.

OP
M

mangoes

Thanks for the very informative reply @PakPik I'm very grateful. Wow I didn't even realise it could have been so many other types of infection. How would I go about figuring out which one it is for the right treatment?

I do take Haidut's estroban pretty much daily, which includes some vitamin A. Maybe I'll purchase his pure vitamin A and see how that goes, or try some liver. I do now avoid carrageenan and other junk as much as possible. I don't really count calories or use cronometer or anything to track, I just eat when I'm hungry and until I'm satiated. Maybe I should start. On a daily basis I drink plenty of milk and water, I can't drink OJ because it badly exacerbates the LPR, I've recently started the carrot salad daily, for breakfast I'll usually eat some fruit, grapes, apples, bananas, papaya, maybe with an egg or something else starchy. I do find sometimes my appetite in the morning isn't that great or I'd rather just not eat for some reason (sign of a low metabolism?). For lunch usually some kind of protein (chicken, lamb whatever) more fruit, sometimes some rice and then for dinner some more protein usually with a serving of well cooked veg and rice. If I want I'll snack with fruit in between. I will belch/bloat after every meal or whatever i eat/drink. Unsure whether it's the inflammation/infection, or the LPR causing it.

Your explanation of everything including the vascular problems makes a lot of sense. It would seem my first priority is healing the gut and liver. I've tried bone broth and gelatin before but it made me nauseous until I actually vomitted. Ive tried different sources of bones and they had the same effect, for some reason I can't stomach bone broth at the moment. Are there any other Peaty approaches for healing the gut other than the carrot salad and bamboo shoots? I'm gonna try giving up all starch for a while, but I find it hard to be satiated unless there's some protein instead. I will admit I've been toying with the idea of an elimination type gaps diet where I just eat soups and stuff for a while, combined with some (probably herbal) antibiotic in a bid to clear out the bad bugs and give my stomach a chance to heal itself. I know low carb is directly against Peat's ideas, but if it's just for a temporary period is it so bad? How else can I fix my microbiota balance if the foods I'm supposed to be eating are just worsening it?

PakPik

I'd like to share what I've learned so far from research and experience. Keep in mind I'm not a medical doctor

It seems that's a very low calorie diet, especially for an adult man. It actually would be useful to track and know the calories/nutrients of a typical day, and you can plan and decide based on that. Do you get enough salt?

Vitamin A seems to be also insufficient. Estroban has a modest amount of vitamin A, so I'd suggest you find the way to correct the deficiency. Liver or vit A supplement like you said, or maybe both? since you have absorption problems, a topical supplement would bypass digestion and offer security.

Carrageenan is very ubiqutous, and it also can be liste das its code "E407". Regarding carrot salad and gelatin, there's no need to push them if you feel they harm your situation. You can try them in the future and see how it goes.

Seems that you eat way too little in the morning; it guarantees a crash because the morning hours should contain ample nutrition and energy, in sync with the cyrcadian rhythm. If you don't provide this, the body will just keep the stress hormones that arose during the sleep time. Now, I understand that your appetite would be affected by bad gut issues, so my recommendation would be to find the foods that upsets you the least and eat enough of it in your mornings. Peat doesn't recommend starches for cases of severe gut issues; for a long time. If starch harms you could try switching to simple carbs.

From your explanation, it seems that you're perpetually inflammed in your gut (bloating can be a consequence since inflammed tissue tends to swell), and therefore virtually every food item will cause further upset. It's a catch 22 situation. Not eating is bad for you, and eating makes your symptoms worsen. I have been in exactly the same situation, and this is how I have analysed it:

1) Inflammation is both a cause and a consequence of the gut disorder, whatever it is. Therefore inflammation has to be quenched down in such a way that will support you out of the vicious circle of gut damage.
2) When the cases of tissue damage are too advanced, food and lifestyle typically won't be enough to correct the problem (although they are fundamental and there're exceptions). So, a person should design a safe supplements/drugs program where antagonizes or lowers key inflammatory mediators like serotonin, nitric oxide, fatty acid mediators (i.e prostaglandins and leukotrienes), some cytokines (incl. Tumor Necrosis Factor, Interleukin-6), etc. This will help avoid further damage or even recover.
3) If gut inflammation/infection has been ongoing, never improving and ever worsening, I'd strongly consider the person has been dealing with immunodeficiency. In particular, the small intestine should be near sterile, things don't normally just grow there.
Immunodeficiency can be caused by:
  • infections and infectious material (many viruses, especial bacteria like lyme or mycoplasma, many helminths, bacterial antigens like endotoxin, some probiotics, mold excess, fungal antigens like aflatoxin, etc)
  • nutritional/energy deficiencies (hypoglycemia/impaired sugar use, calorie deficiency, protein deficiency, vitamin A-C-D-E-B6-B12-Folate, selenium, zinc, copper, tryptophan, iron deficiencies)
  • nutritional excesses (Iron excess can contribute to thymic atrophy and infection proliferation; Polyunsaturated fatty acids excess; Omega-3 is even more immunosuppressive than Omega-6)
  • hormonal imbalance (particularly low thyroid function, corticosteroids excess, estrogen excess)
  • lifestyle problems (emotional problems, bad sleep hygiene, lack of rest, stress, not enough good light exposure)
  • early life problems "imprinting" (prenatal stress, premature birth, lack of breast feeding, legume formula)
  • medical interventions (ionizing radiation, chemotherapy, vaccines -even in official literature they are contraindicated for people with immunodeficiency, and they worsen it-)
  • excess inflammatory mediators (specifically things like chronic excess of Prostaglandin E, histamine, Tumor Necrosis Factor [TNF], and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor [VEGF]. They are highly important immunosuppressive agents.)
  • heritable and non-heritable genetic problems affecting the immune system (the non-heritable A.K.A epigenetic ones can be the result of excess DNA methylation)
  • environmental toxins (such as carrageenan, dioxins, pesticides, chlorinated hydrocarbons, nitric oxide -smog and medications-, xenoestrogens, heavy metals, nuclear radiation, etc)
  • tryptophan depletion through degradation by the kynurenine pathway and some of the resulting kynurenines (virus, all kinds of parasites, cancer, pro-inflammatory cytokines especially Interferon-gamma, can upregulate this pathway)
  • oxidative stress and cellular respiration derangement (it can cause and be caused by nearly all of the above, establishing a vicious circle of immunodeficiency).
So the idea is, based on all this factors, check to see what has been likely out of control, and see what one could do about them. There are lots of possible interventions. When this things are addressed healing is very possible. A big one is the PUFA issue, if a person gets to change the fatty acid profile toward a low PUFA one, the rest of items will be way easier to control. And as for supplements, for example niacinamide lowers inflammatory cytokines, nitric oxide, supports mitochondrial respiration, downregulates the kyneurine pathway, decreases free fatty acids and therefore fatty acid mediators, helps reduce methylation, repairs DNA, inhibits viral replication, weakens fungus, strengthens vascularity, etc. Anti serotonin agents are almost a must for gut inflammation, and cyproheptadine is a very popular around here and typically safe (it also is antihistamine).

This is good overview about the nutritional factors of immunity. Immunity | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University . A good quote:

"Impaired immune responses induced by malnutrition can increase one’s susceptibility to infection and illness. Infection and illness can, in turn, exacerbate states of malnutrition, for example, by reducing nutrient intake through diminished appetite, impairing nutrient absorption, increasing nutrient losses, or altering the body’s metabolism such that nutrient requirements are increased (19). Thus, states of malnutrition and infection can aggravate each other and lead to a vicious cycle (14)."

Finally, from what I've learned so far and from the experience of many people, GAPS diet is an unhealthy diet. First of all, it promotes thyrotoxic immunotoxic PUFAs. Second, if you don't consume enough carbs, cortisol will be powerfully increased and thyroid function will collapse. Cortisol feels good in the beginning, but it generates immunosuppresion and tissue damage. Lots of people (incl. myself) found this types of diet to worsen infections, they get out of control and more aggressive as the person gets weaker and weaker. Regarding microbiota, it will reflect the health status of the person, the more intestinal hazards and inflammation, the more the bacteria express aggressive phenotypes. It's almost impossible to change microbiota artificially.

I didn't talk about addressing infections, but this post is already long, so maybe I will in a future one :) I hope you get to figure out a good plan, and whatever you choose to do I recommend go easy, safe and slow.

Last edited: