Aspirin Reduces Ammonia?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted some threads on sodium benzoate being sold as a drug in the USA for reducing ammonia. Ceylon cinnamon metabolized into sodium benzoate and has been shown in a number of animal studies to reduce ammonia concentrations in brain and plasma. The mechanism of action is bezoic acid forming a conjugate with glycine called hippuric acid, which is then excreted by the kidneys.
Well, it seems that aspirin is metabolized pretty similarly and forms a conjugate with glycine called salicyluric acid, and that is the primary method through which aspirin is metabolized and excreted from the body. Here is the Wikipedia page talking about both benzoic acid and aspirin conjugates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicyluric_acid

Does anybody have any information on aspirin potentially reducing ammonia?

Btw, I posted some studies months ago showing that a possible mechanism of aspirin causing gastric mucosal damage is precisely this "depletion" of glycine by aspirin as part of its metabolism / excretion. For this reason, some countries (Russia) cell a pill combining equal amounts aspirin and glycine (100mg/100mg) as a way of both preventing mucosal damage and also increasing aspirin bioavailability.
Anyways, just sharing an interesting find.

Parsifal

haidut said:
Btw, I posted some studies months ago showing that a possible mechanism of aspirin causing gastric mucosal damage is precisely this "depletion" of glycine by aspirin as part of its metabolism / excretion. For this reason, some countries (Russia) cell a pill combining equal amounts aspirin and glycine (100mg/100mg) as a way of both preventing mucosal damage and also increasing aspirin bioavailability.
Wow, didn't see this one! I may try aspirin again with glycine to see if it changes something (even low dose gives me tinnitus)! :hattip

Did you find something about aspirin and ammonia then?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 115521
haidut said:
Wow, didn't see this one! I may try aspirin again with glycine to see if it changes something (even low dose gives me tinnitus)! :hattip

Did you find something about aspirin and ammonia then?

Well, aspirin can reduce ammonia by the virtue of forming hippuric acid with glycine.

Last edited by a moderator:

magnesiumania

I have a defect in glycine metabolism unfortunatly. Its confirmed by repeatedly getting worse from both isolated glycine and fish~collagen. I dont if i eat something with glycine but i develop something like an optical circuit from my livet to my head. Ive been suspecting that i have elevated ammonia for a long time. Started aspirin today so lets see have we get along with it. Tnx for sharing haidut

magnesiumania

How much mg are we talking about? 500 mg daily?
Who, me?

Yesterday i took in total 1 gram, didnt notice much but i woke up a little more energized than usual. Today ive only had 500mg as i dont wanna loose my hair lol.....

@magnesiumania Sodium benzoate can detox ammonia but long term it depleats glycine.

Sherbert

Is that why the below study (incorrectly?) speculates that taking aspirin may help lead to hyper.. ammonia..? if there was enough glycine it wouldn't? or it wouldn't if there was sufficient vitamin k (and glycine?)?

"For example, salicylates, valproate,49 car- bamazepine, ribavirin, sulfadiazine, and pyrimethamine have been associated with causing hyperammonemia.11 Salicylates can impair mitochondrial function in the liver."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals