High temperature - what does it mean?

Wonderland

Hi everyone. I have been reading through this forum for several weeks now but this is my first post. I have been reading at raypeat.com and find the information fascinating and I've started making changes to my lifestyle according to this new found information.
I was wondering if anybody here can give me an insight to my question about my body temperature (taken under the tongue). My temperature is never below 99F and sometimes it goes as high as 100.6F. My pulse is between 60 and 70 beats per minute. I've been to the doctor and he did some blood work and urine tests. My vit. D level was low and C-reactive protein was hight, but everything else was within the normal ranges. I have daily digestive issues (bloating, constipation, cramps). Have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound but doctor tells me everything is OK except for inflammation in the lining of my stomach. My digestive issues improved somewhat after I eliminated gluten from my diet but still not completely normal. Mentally/emotionally I struggle daily. I have had depression for as long as I can remember. Have tried different medications for it over the years (Lithium, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Xanax) but stopped 6 years ago and haven't taken any since. I still feel low level of depression daily which periodically gets worse and I get feelings of hopelessness. I get angry very easily and find difficult to keep it under control. If my kids weren't around I would start throwing and breaking things and screaming. I don't sleep well at all and sometimes get feelings of panic in during the night. I know you are not my doctors, you don't know me personally and I am not expecting a medical diagnosis. I am just trying to get some insight whether any of this is connected and has a common cause. Daily high temperatures between 99.5 and 100.6, inflammation, digestive problems, depression, anger, insomnia.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Nicholas

yes, digestive inflammation is commonly connected to anger and depression (really both the same thing). On a broad level, insomnia is related to not being able to store glycogen in the liver. Storing glycogen in the liver, on a broad level, is remedied by eating enough per meal and eating enough meals per day....in effect, retraining the body to slowly abandon inflammation and emergency. On this journey, once the liver and muscles are storing glycogen better, one may not have to eat as much or as frequently.

Digestive inflammation, if looking for therapeutic tools, can be helped by jello consistency cartilage broth (or supplemental glycine), a grated raw carrot salad w/coconut oil&vinegar, bamboo shoots, etc.......but on a broad level, discovering other foods that you cannot digest well at this time is also crucial. Starches work better for some if eaten in small quantities and with fruit. Digestive irritants can be things as seemingly harmless as honey or things more apparent like potatoes. On an even broader level, nutrient deficiencies can make it difficult for healing to kick in....as well as having irregular feeding patterns, fasting, no consistency, etc.....all of these can affect the environment of the gut. The easiest and most simplified avenue into healing is simply endeavoring to regulate blood sugar (i.e. manipulating all the above variables to create stable temp. and pulse readings throughout the day whether they are optimal numbers or not). A lot more could be said on this topic, but i will stop there. Often times, the healing process can take a few years with improvements coming on immediately when you begin to embrace the process of regulating blood sugar and bringing consistency/awareness into one's life. But health is also a daily process no matter how functional someone is.

FredSonoma

Nicholas said:
post 105903 yes, digestive inflammation is commonly connected to anger and depression (really both the same thing). On a broad level, insomnia is related to not being able to store glycogen in the liver. Storing glycogen in the liver, on a broad level, is remedied by eating enough per meal and eating enough meals per day....in effect, retraining the body to slowly abandon inflammation and emergency. On this journey, once the liver and muscles are storing glycogen better, one may not have to eat as much or as frequently.

Digestive inflammation, if looking for therapeutic tools, can be helped by jello consistency cartilage broth (or supplemental glycine), a grated raw carrot salad w/coconut oil&vinegar, bamboo shoots, etc.......but on a broad level, discovering other foods that you cannot digest well at this time is also crucial. Starches work better for some if eaten in small quantities and with fruit. Digestive irritants can be things as seemingly harmless as honey or things more apparent like potatoes. On an even broader level, nutrient deficiencies can make it difficult for healing to kick in....as well as having irregular feeding patterns, fasting, no consistency, etc.....all of these can affect the environment of the gut. The easiest and most simplified avenue into healing is simply endeavoring to regulate blood sugar (i.e. manipulating all the above variables to create stable temp. and pulse readings throughout the day whether they are optimal numbers or not). A lot more could be said on this topic, but i will stop there. Often times, the healing process can take a few years with improvements coming on immediately when you begin to embrace the process of regulating blood sugar and bringing consistency/awareness into one's life. But health is also a daily process no matter how functional someone is.

Nicholas, is the core of regulating blood sugar to be taking in sugar as often as possible / needed? Is there a case where I could be taking in too much sugar total / at one time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

FredSonoma said:
post 105906
Nicholas said:
post 105903 yes, digestive inflammation is commonly connected to anger and depression (really both the same thing). On a broad level, insomnia is related to not being able to store glycogen in the liver. Storing glycogen in the liver, on a broad level, is remedied by eating enough per meal and eating enough meals per day....in effect, retraining the body to slowly abandon inflammation and emergency. On this journey, once the liver and muscles are storing glycogen better, one may not have to eat as much or as frequently.

Nicholas, is the core of regulating blood sugar to be taking in sugar as often as possible / needed? Is there a case where I could be taking in too much sugar total / at one time?

regulating blood sugar, when it comes to macronutrients, is equally dependant on fat as it is to protein as it is to carbs. I think there's a belief out there that sugar ad libitum is not a problem and can be healing....but i think this only applies to very specific situations under very specific care. Regulating blood sugar is primarily about person-specific macro ratios *per meal*, meal frequency, calories per meal, and consistency. (nutrient density/balancing, eating digestible foods, etc. is a given around here) All healing and further experimentation springs forth from that foundation.
I look at regulating blood sugar as the work involved in creating oxidative metabolism. It's the creation of that environment where the cells can finally relax and feel confident to move on from the battlefront and back to what they're designed to do. Once oxidative metabolism is reached, you would still be making the same efforts at regulating blood sugar, though - the variables just may all be different (i.e. like maybe needing to eat less frequently or being able to digest more foods).

Nicholas

also, Peat understands and teaches that carbs, protein, and fats all have specific ways of lowering physiological stress. Carbs may be the primary fuel, as far as we understand at this point....but carbs are still equal to protein and to fats in the way they're all needed in reducing stress and inflammation vie blood sugar regulation. The trick is tapping into the ratio that your body is currently needing.

goodandevil

How long has your temps been this high? Do you have any goiter? You might look into tianeptine.

OP
W

Wonderland

goodandevil said:
post 105911 How long has your temps been this high? Do you have any goiter? You might look into tianeptine.
My temps have been this high for at least 2 years and I don't have goiter. I had made a decision to not any take any medicine for the depression because after a while they always made me feel very indifferent but weren't addressing the root cause of why I feel the way I feel. Thank you for the suggestion of tianeptine. I will look into it although I don't think it is available in the US.

goodandevil

Wonderland said:
post 105929
goodandevil said:
post 105911 How long has your temps been this high? Do you have any goiter? You might look into tianeptine.
My temps have been this high for at least 2 years and I don't have goiter. I had made a decision to not any take any medicine for the depression because after a while they always made me feel very indifferent but weren't addressing the root cause of why I feel the way I feel. Thank you for the suggestion of tianeptine. I will look into it although I don't think it is available in the US.
Yeah tianeptine lowers serotonin which is what we're all after here. Heard ray mention it as the only antidepressant that works. It may be habit forming .. but im not sure. Other2ise you may want to get checked for SIBO.

Joocy_J

lol at your doctor saying everything is normal, did you see the blood-work yourself? If not, how do you know it is "normal"? Don't trust anybody besides yourself....

Every human interaction is transactional by nature, don't assume your doctor is above this just because he is a "professional"...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

tara

:welcome Wonderland

Joocy_J said:
post 106133 lol at your doctor saying everything is normal, did you see the blood-work yourself? If not, how do you know it is "normal"?
:1

Trying to remember if it was Reams or Buteyko that said you generally had to be down to about 30% of health before the medical system would acknowledge/diagnose anything wrong.

Is your temp similarly high at waking, before rising? Does it go up or down an hour after breakfast?

tara

Want to tell us roughly what and how much you are eating?
Do you get hangry? I've not been pulled to violence and physical destruction, but I've noticed my temper is more likely to away from me if have not eaten enough recently.

I guess you've got that Peat recommends eating as little PUFA as practical.

Many 'gluten-free' products contain gums that can be hard on the guts.
Some people find gelatinous broths or gelatine or collagen hydrolysate helpful for recovering gut lining.
Have you had a go, even for just a week, of replacing grains, legumes, gums with easier to digest foods?
Hopefully others may have more advice about healing the stomach inflammation.

How is your breathing - relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic? I think high adrenaline, anger and other distressing emotional/physiological reactions can sometimes involve increased hyperventilation. There are ways to retrain such habits. Good nutrition helps support this.

There are several threads on what has helped people with sleep. For me, two of the simplest most helpful things are:
- eat enough sugar, including through the day, at supper, and in the night if I wake up.
- practice slow/reduced breathing

If you haven't yet, you could look up threads here on ways to reduce serotonin.

tara

Wonderland said:
post 106518 such as THS being on the higher end of the normal
Depending on country, the 'normal' TSH range can go from about 0.4 to over 5. Peat says few if any people are really healthy with TSH over 2, and under 1 is probably better. This could be important.

Wonderland said:
post 106518 I have been eating a diet is by most standards considered healthy but I see that it is high in PUFA's (nuts, seeds, salmon, sardines, whole grains). I'll be making changes to that and will minimize PIUFA's as much as possible. I'll start reading food labels better and avoiding things with gums, pectin, carrageenan etc... I always ate fruit (mostly apples) but I'll start adding grapes, mangoes, maybe bananas.
This could make a difference.
Some people have trouble with large quantities of bananas (serotonin) and mangoes - see how you go with them. I eat them, but not lots all the time.

Wonderland said:
post 106518 I always tried to limit sugar as much as possible and I need to rethink that.
I did that for a long time too. Reading Peat on sugar was a surprise and a relief. You don't have to suddenly force in huge amounts of refined sugar. Best to get most of it from foods that also have all the minerals etc to help with using the sugar well, eg fruit and milk. You could try adding honey or refined sucrose to things to taste and see where that gets you. Gradual change makes it easier to correct if you find something not working well.

It's easy to get slumps between 3 meals a day - snacks or more smaller meals may help.

Wonderland said:
post 106518 I very rarely have good thoughts going through my head. Most of time I have very unpleasant thoughts and feelings (not being loved by my family, something terrible happening to me, feeling worthless and rejected). My mood alternates between sad and angry but I can force myself to look happy when I'm around other people. There is no good reason in my life at the moment why I should be feeling this way. I am in a fairly good marriage and my kids are not any kind of trouble makers but I have to really force myself to laugh and smile when I'm with them as I don't want to affect them badly.

I'll bet there are some real reasons in there too - some of it might be about you and your health state, but there may well be real things in your life that could use improvements too. A marriage in which you can't tell you are loved does not sound like a good one in my books. I hope you and your husband getting out and enjoying each others company together without the kids etc regularly. This seems to be commonly neglected once kids are around, and often seems to lead to dissatisfaction. I don't mean to turn this into a marriage counselling thread, and I have no claim to expertise, nor do I think you need to tell any more about it here. Just can't resist putting this in. Some of us tend to assume the problem is with us when really it's something about the situations we in or the way we are being treated that is getting us down. Hope you are getting to do some things you enjoy regularly.

OP
W

Wonderland

tara said:
post 106530
Wonderland said:
post 106518
I'll bet there are some real reasons in there too - some of it might be about you and your health state, but there may well be real things in your life that could use improvements too. A marriage in which you can't tell you are loved does not sound like a good one in my books. I hope you and your husband getting out and enjoying each others company together without the kids etc regularly. This seems to be commonly neglected once kids are around, and often seems to lead to dissatisfaction. I don't mean to turn this into a marriage counselling thread, and I have no claim to expertise, nor do I think you need to tell any more about it here. Just can't resist putting this in. Some of us tend to assume the problem is with us when really it's something about the situations we in or the way we are being treated that is getting us down. Hope you are getting to do some things you enjoy regularly.

The problems here run much deeper and I don't know that I'll be able to resolve them in my lifetime. I don't know if there is any genetic component to depression, anger and anxiety but my parents were very angry people and I don't think I ever saw either one of them smile. My father used to take a handful of valium with a bottle of wine routinely and he often made treats of suicide. My mother would get so angry sometimes and she would slam her head against a wall. Sometimes she would pin me to the wall holding a knife to my throat. They both died relatively young. So I really have a tough time accepting love from people (husband, kids, brother, aunts, cousins, friends). Have I inherited something from my parents that makes me more prone do depression, anxiety and anger or did I learn it from them just by being close to them? Or maybe my situation is unique and has nothing to do with them? I have spent many years in therapy and worked through a lot of issues but this underlying feeling of worthlessness is always with me. Is this something that can to a certain degree be corrected with changes in diet?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wonderland said:
post 106572 Have I inherited something from my parents that makes me more prone do depression, anxiety and anger or did I learn it from them just by being close to them?
Yes, you inherited their metabolism.

Wonderland said:
post 106572 Is this something that can to a certain degree be corrected with changes in diet?
Yes, raise your metabolism and lower the stress hormones that kept your family angry. Start supplying the right fuel and possibly apply some tools to help bring estrogen, adrenaline and serotonin down.

:hattip

Last edited:
OP
W

Wonderland

Charlie said:
post 106574
Wonderland said:
post 106572 Have I inherited something from my parents that makes me more prone do depression, anxiety and anger or did I learn it from them just by being close to them?
Yes, you inherited their metabolism.

Wonderland said:
post 106572 Is this something that can to a certain degree be corrected with changes in diet?
Yes, raise your metabolism and lower the stress hormones that kept your family angry. Start supplying the right fuel and possibly apply some tools to help bring estrogen, adrenaline and serotonin down.

:hattip
Thank you. When I stop thinking about metabolism as merely the digestion of food this is starting to make a lot more sense.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wonderland said:
post 106593 Thank you. When I stop thinking about metabolism as merely the digestion of food this is starting to make a lot more sense.
You can look at metabolism as energy, the higher the metabolism the more high quality energy can be made without having to use the stress response system to achieve this. More high quality energy leads into regenerative energy.

merriam-webster.com said:
regenerate
adjective re·gen·er·ate \-rət\
Definition of REGENERATE
1: formed or created again
2: spiritually reborn or converted
3: restored to a better, higher, or more worthy state

biology
: to grow again after being lost, damaged, etc.
: to give new life to (something)

Full Definition of REGENERATE
intransitive verb
1: to become formed again
2: to become regenerate : reform
3: to undergo regeneration

transitive verb
a : to subject to spiritual regeneration
b : to change radically and for the better
a : to generate or produce anew; especially : to replace (a body part) by a new growth of tissue
b : to produce again chemically sometimes in a physically changed form

3: to restore to original strength or properties
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regenerate

Last edited:

tara

What Charlie said. :)

Sounds like you had a very rough time growing up. Not surprising it had its effects. Thanks goodness it's over.

My guess is that for many of us there is a combination of physical stresses and social/emotional stresses that may reinforce each others effects. Worth tackling it from both ends maybe.

So I'd also make it a priority to do things you enjoy regularly, as much as you can. Like 5 times a day. Include trying some new things that you think might be fun/interesting. Hopefully that will help get your attention more into your current good life and out of the not-so-much fun of your childhood. If you do most of them with your husband or whole family, it may also have the added benefit of making you feel better about them. :) If the counselling is helping you in your present life, that's great. If it's not, then might be worth considering another approach.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals