Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study also says that taurine significantly increased lifespan and should be effective against androgenic allopecia as well. Oh, and taurine was more effective than finasteride. Not bad for a humble amino acid :cool:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23392889

"... Although astressin-B and finasteride are two prominent drugs to treat alopecia, the data in this study suggest that taurine may work better than the two anti-alopecia agents against hair loss caused particularly by stresses. These results strongly implicate that taurine might alleviate the chemical stress to help hair root cells to sustain their integrity. "

"... Considering hair loss causes adolescent to suffer devastating emotional stress, the significance of safe, effective anti-alopecia agent cannot be overstated. Development of screening systems for anti-alopecia agents is very important. This study used C. elegans to evaluate astressin-B, finasteride, and taurine in terms of anti-stress potential. All of them helped with restoring the affected vital signs in C. elegans which was subjected to ER stress. Among the three agents, taurine exerts better results and may be used as an anti-alopecia agent especially against the one caused by stress."

Gl;itch.e

Taurine was the only supplement where I noticed any hair re-growth. It was marginal but noticeable. I don't know if it would continue if I used taurine long term instead of in short bursts here and there (almost a pun?)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gl;itch.e said:
post 106232 Taurine was the only supplement where I noticed any hair re-growth. It was marginal but noticeable. I don't know if it would continue if I used taurine long term instead of in short bursts here and there (almost a pun?)

Topical may work even better than oral. Effective concentrations in the study were 0.01%, so similar to topical caffeine shown effective at 0.01% and even 0.001%.
RedBull on the scalp anyone?

Gl;itch.e

haidut said:
post 106239
Gl;itch.e said:
post 106232 Taurine was the only supplement where I noticed any hair re-growth. It was marginal but noticeable. I don't know if it would continue if I used taurine long term instead of in short bursts here and there (almost a pun?)

Topical may work even better than oral. Effective concentrations in the study were 0.01%, so similar to topical caffeine shown effective at 0.01% and even 0.001%.
Dissolved in alcohol or would water be just as good since we are talking such a small amount?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gl;itch.e said:
post 106249
haidut said:
post 106239
Gl;itch.e said:

Dissolved in alcohol or would water be just as good since we are talking such a small amount?

I think taurine dissolves better in water than ethanol but either one should work.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

superhuman

what doses are we talking about for us that use taurine powder orally?

ravster02

haidut said:
post 106228 The study also says that taurine significantly increased lifespan and should be effective against androgenic allopecia as well. Oh, and taurine was more effective than finasteride. Not bad for a humble amino acid :cool:

Excellent find.

I don't see any human dose recommendations from either of the two studies.

I remember seeing 5g mentioned in a similar thread recently. would that suffice?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ravster02 said:
post 106261
haidut said:
post 106228 The study also says that taurine significantly increased lifespan and should be effective against androgenic allopecia as well. Oh, and taurine was more effective than finasteride. Not bad for a humble amino acid :cool:

Excellent find.

I don't see any human dose recommendations from either of the two studies.

I remember seeing 5g mentioned in a similar thread recently. would that suffice?

The second study uses 1mM concentration, which is achievable with 5g oral taurine daily. The first one is concentration percentage, so it's more suited for topical application.

Sheik

Haidut, how do you think this relates to the supposed pro-hair effects of PGE2? Considering that taurine, according to a quick Google search, seems to inhibit PGE2.

I'm not well versed on the science, and I don't know how interested you are in the issue of hair loss... Did you happen to see this blog I linked a few weeks ago?
http://swisstemples.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... gress.html

Nicholas

"Another type of amino acid, taurine, is structurally similar to glycine (and to beta amino propanoic acid, and to GABA), and it can be thought of as antiestrogenic in this context." - RP

"Since glycine is non-toxic (if the kidneys are working, since any amino acid will contribute to the production of ammonia)" - RP

"The capillaries are among the first tissues to be damaged by stress." - RP

It's nice to know that Taurine & Glycine have many similar properties....they seem like very complimentary amino acids - especially for hair. I do wonder, however, about taking care to avoid ammonia production at a high taurine dose for someone with compromised kidneys. But maybe i'm missing something. In my experience, Taurine has definitely given me thicker hair. (at a 500mg/dose)

Philomath

haidut said:
post 106239
Gl;itch.e said:

Topical may work even better than oral. Effective concentrations in the stu
haidut said:
post 106239
Gl;itch.e said:

Maybe not Red Bull but how about a Red Star Energy patch - caffeine, Taurine, Green Tea extract, B vitamins and Glucuronolactone? Www.redstarenergy.biz

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sheik said:
post 106279 Haidut, how do you think this relates to the supposed pro-hair effects of PGE2? Considering that taurine, according to a quick Google search, seems to inhibit PGE2.

I'm not well versed on the science, and I don't know how interested you are in the issue of hair loss... Did you happen to see this blog I linked a few weeks ago?
http://swisstemples.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... gress.html

I was never convinced that the prostaglandins are helpful for hair growth. It is a biomarker of damage. The original claim that PGE2 is needed for stomach mucosal health were recently debunked as it turned out that the people taking aspirin and getting GI damage were either infected with H. pylori or were taking coated aspirin, which reaches the small intestine and does damage there. Non-infected people taking regular aspirin had PGE2 levels close to zero and still perfectly healthy stomachs.
Anyways, back to the hair. I am not aware of any mechanism by which a prostaglandin will spur hair growth. Actually, there is one possibility and that is through injury. Ray said that people losing hair got regrowth when they injured their scalp somehow. PGE2 is released during injury but it is not the causative factor for hair growth. So, some people probably saw that PGE2 is associated with hair growth and decided that it is good for hair but in reality it is there by accident.

NathanK

Taurine is truly an amazing amino. Nice find. I wonder if there is any correlation with its ability to more than double testosterone in male mice.

I also wonder if this elucidates downstream conversion/enzyme issues that taurine supplementation appears to remedy. Or possibly if there is a form of blockade preventing taurine synthesis. My best guess is methionine might be "hoarded" in the brain for methylation due to some dysregulation--maybe B6?

johnwester130

I disagree taurine regrows hair, although it is incredibly pro metabolic and anti stress hormones .
It has been mentioned on hair loss forums for years too.

This is the pgd2 man, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5H01HGaVI,

but many people don't like him and say his hair loss ideas may not be true.

Although ,if we said pgd2 is caused by PUFA, then it would obviously correlate to peat's work.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
NathanK said:
post 106454 Taurine is truly an amazing amino. Nice find. I wonder if there is any correlation with its ability to more than double testosterone in male mice.

I also wonder if this elucidates downstream conversion/enzyme issues that taurine supplementation appears to remedy. Or possibly if there is a form of blockade preventing taurine synthesis. My best guess is methionine might be "hoarded" in the brain for methylation due to some dysregulation--maybe B6?

Yes, taurine specifically enhances activity of 3b-HSD and 17a-HSD, which are crucial for synthesis of all steroids downstream of pregnenolone. These enzymes are downregulated by hypothyrodism, and aging among other causes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25957528
"...In males, the decline of androgen synthesis, spermatogenesis and sexual function are the main phenotypes of aging, which may be attributed to testicular dysfunction. Taurine can act as an antioxidant, a testosterone secretion stimulator, a sperm membrane stabilizer and motility factor, and an anti-apoptotic agent. Recent observational studies suggested that taurine may play an important role in spermatogenesis, but to date whether taurine has anti-aging effects on testes remains unknown. We found that in aged rats testicular SDH and G6PDH activities, marker enzymes of testes, serum testosterone, testicular 3β-HSD and 17β-HSD mRNA expression levels were significantly increased by taurine treatment. Taurine administration also markedly raised the sperm count, viability and motility, decreased the sperm abnormality. Our data suggested that taurine can postpone testicular function deterioration in aged rats. Importantly, we observed obvious elevation of testicular antioxidant enzymes (SOD, GSH, GSH-Px) activities, and remarkable reduction of ROS and MDA by taurine administration, indicating taurine can decrease testicular oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in aged rats. Finally, we found taurine effectively reduced testicular DNA fragmentation, increased testicular Bcl-2 protein expression, and decreased cytochrome c, Bax, Fas, FasL and caspase-3 expression, suggesting taurine can prohibit aged testicular apoptosis by mitochondrial dependent and independent signal pathway. In summary, our results indicated that taurine can suppress testicular function deterioration by increasing antioxidant ability and inhibiting apoptosis. "

NathanK

haidut said:
post 106504
NathanK said:
post 106454 Taurine is truly an amazing amino. Nice find. I wonder if there is any correlation with its ability to more than double testosterone in male mice.

Yes, taurine specifically enhances activity of 3b-HSD and 17a-HSD, which are crucial for synthesis of all steroids downstream of pregnenolone. These enzymes are downregulated by hypothyrodism, and aging among other causes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25957528
"...In males, the decline of androgen synthesis, spermatogenesis and sexual function are the main phenotypes of aging, which may be attributed to testicular dysfunction. Taurine can act as an antioxidant, a testosterone secretion stimulator, a sperm membrane stabilizer and motility factor, and an anti-apoptotic agent. Recent observational studies suggested that taurine may play an important role in spermatogenesis, but to date whether taurine has anti-aging effects on testes remains unknown. We found that in aged rats testicular SDH and G6PDH activities, marker enzymes of testes, serum testosterone, testicular 3β-HSD and 17β-HSD mRNA expression levels were significantly increased by taurine treatment. Taurine administration also markedly raised the sperm count, viability and motility, decreased the sperm abnormality. Our data suggested that taurine can postpone testicular function deterioration in aged rats. Importantly, we observed obvious elevation of testicular antioxidant enzymes (SOD, GSH, GSH-Px) activities, and remarkable reduction of ROS and MDA by taurine administration, indicating taurine can decrease testicular oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in aged rats. Finally, we found taurine effectively reduced testicular DNA fragmentation, increased testicular Bcl-2 protein expression, and decreased cytochrome c, Bax, Fas, FasL and caspase-3 expression, suggesting taurine can prohibit aged testicular apoptosis by mitochondrial dependent and independent signal pathway. In summary, our results indicated that taurine can suppress testicular function deterioration by increasing antioxidant ability and inhibiting apoptosis. "
That's excellent. It's possible that people could really be "taurine deficient" if they are also hypothyroid. I still wonder what the taurine limiting factors may be outside of thyroid. Personally, it's probably been the single most significant supplement that I have ever taken with many positive effects. I try to cycle it 2 months on and one off as I think I recall Dr. Andro a while back saying that we can saturate tissues at 5g/day in a matter of ~6 weeks. I know I hit that saturation point when my stools get very dark considering taurine is a main constituent of bile.

milk

Can confirm

I've been taking taurine at varying doses for a few months now. I was taking around 2g throughout the day, eventually lowering the dose to 1g and then stopping for a while.

It seems that whenever I'm taking 2g or more a day my shedding stops completely. But when I stopped taking it or took a lower dose, the shedding returned.

My hair looks better at the higher dose too. Less oily and sticky.

I wish I could just take taurine continuously for the rest of my life. It really does the trick.

Ella

Forum Supporter
milk said:
post 106513 I've been taking taurine at varying doses for a few months now. I was taking around 2g throughout the day, eventually lowering the dose to 1g and then stopping for a while.

It seems that whenever I'm taking 2g or more a day my shedding stops completely. But when I stopped taking it or took a lower dose, the shedding returned.

It should be easy to get the required amount of taurine from foods. Peat is right on the ball regarding dairy being the preferred protein.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2010 ... urine.html

I'm going to have me a big mug of chocolate milk. :dancingsmileyman

Lin

When you take taurine, are you taking it on an empty stomach, away from other amino acids or foods. Or do you just dump the powder into a smoothie, or sprinkle on ice cream?