Zinc And Silicon Metabolism In Highly Trained Athletes During Heavy Exercise

paymanz

[Zinc and silicon metabolism in highly trained athletes during heavy exercise]. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Trained male athletes were under study. It was found that under the effect of physical stress during the contest in ski race (30 and 50 km) the increase of the zink and silicon levels in the blood plasma correlated with their decrease in the blood cells. A positive zink and silicon equilibrium was observed in the athletes on the day of rest before the contest. Excretion of zinc and especially of silicon through the kidneys and intestine drastically grew on the day of the contest. On the day of rest following the high muscular stress the loss of trace elements appreciably lowered, however, it was higher than that before the contest. The authors recommend the following doses of the trace elements for highly trained athletes: zink--20-25 mg/day, silicon--30-35 mg/day.

OP
P

paymanz

anyone can help please emailing and asking ray in regard of his opinion on silicon's nutritional value/essentiality?
i didnt find any email address of him.

Parsifal

anyone can help please emailing and asking ray in regard of his opinion on silicon's nutritional value/essentiality?
i didnt find any email address of him.
Didn't some people here say that silicon/silica are useless?

Lin

I see you were able to email him, and posted it in the email depository....

Peat said:

I don’t think silicon is safe, or has value as a nutrient.

OP
P

paymanz

@Parsifal @Lin @Such_Saturation
yeah i asked him and he said its useless.
maybe next time i send him some reference about studies reported silicon as essential nutrient and ask him what he thinks.i hope he answer.
there is numerous studies showing skeletal deformities and weakness in silicon free animals.it makes hyaluronic acid more stable for example, increases ceruloplasmin ....

Parsifal

@Parsifal @Lin @Such_Saturation
yeah i asked him and he said its useless.
maybe next time i send him some reference about studies reported silicon as essential nutrient and ask him what he thinks.i hope he answer.
there is numerous studies showing skeletal deformities and weakness in silicon free animals.it makes hyaluronic acid more stable for example, increases ceruloplasmin ....
Thanks! Don't forget to post his on the forum please :).

SILICON AND BONE HEALTH

Some extracts on the need for silicon and how it's metabolized in the human:

Dietary intake of Si is between 20-50 mg Si/day for most Western populations (30-33); ≥ 2-fold higher than typical intake of iron and zinc. Higher intakes (140-204 mg/day) have been reported in China and India where plant-based foods may form a more predominant part of the diet (34, 35).

Silicon absorbed across the intestinal mucosa reaches the blood circulation, but it is not known whether any absorbed silica is retained by the mucosal cells, as occurs with some metal cations, although this is likely to be small. In blood, Si elutes with the non-protein bound fraction suggesting that silica does not associate with plasma proteins or that it forms a weak, easily disassociated interaction (73). Silica will be present as the neutral orthosilicic acid species which readily diffuses into erythrocytes and other tissues (74), but may also be present as silicates (73) such as magnesium orthosilicate (71).

The main route of excretion of absorbed silica is via the kidneys into urine. Indeed, renal function appears to be an important determinant of plasma Si concentration and with impaired renal function, as seen in uraemic patients for example, plasma Si concentration is significantly elevated compared with normal healthy subjects (3.8 ± 1.74 mg/l vs 0.16 ± 0.04 mg/l in healthy subjects)

Highest levels of 31Si were found in the kidneys, liver and lungs

On accumulation in the body:
The one study in man, using the 32Si radioisotope, showed that 36% of the oral dose was absorbed and eliminated in urine and although there was no evidence of retention, this was not a balance study as faecal excretion was not measured (65). However, Si appears to be present in all tissues, including the brain (12-27 μg/g), and the total body burden is several grams, suggesting that at least some ingested Si is accumulated

Is it essential?

No silicon deprivation studies have been conducted in humans, but, as described above, in laboratory animals Si deprivation resulted in skeletal abnormalities and defects. In chicks, legs and beaks were paler, thinner, more flexible and thus easily fractured (17). In rats, defects to the skull including the eye sockets was reported as was disturbances and impairment to incisor enamel pigmentation (16). More recent studies by Seaborn and Nielsen (95-100) (see Table 5) and others have not been able to reproduce these dramatic effects but have reported decreases in BMD, mineral content and collagen synthesis, and increases in collagen breakdown, thus confirming Si deprivation has a negative impact on bone.

OP
P

paymanz

i asked dr peat again and i sent him some links on pubmed about this element, and he replied,

I recommend many foods containing considerable amounts of silicon, such as meats, liver, shell fish, bamboo shoots, and mushrooms, but there are many products on the market that contain silicon in forms that can be harmful.

here are papers i asked his opinion about

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973 May;70(5):1608-12.
A bound form of silicon in glycosaminoglycans and polyuronides.
Schwarz K.

J Nutr Biochem. 1990 Sep;1(9):487-92.Silicon facilitation of copper utilization in the rat. Emerick RJ1, Kayongo-Male H.

Vopr Pitan. 1987 Jul-Aug;(4):37-9.[Zinc and silicon metabolism in highly trained athletes during heavy exercise]. [Article in Russian] Nasolodin VV, Rusin VIa, Vorob'ev VA.

Bone. 2008 Sep; 43(3): 596–606. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2008.04.014 .Increased longitudinal growth in rats on a silicon-depleted diet .Ravin Jugdaohsingh,a,b,⁎ Mario R. Calomme,c Karen Robinson,d Forrest Nielsen,e Simon H.C. Anderson,b Patrick D'Haese,f Piet Geusens,g,h Nigel Loveridge,i Richard P.H. Thompson,b and Jonathan J. Powella

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2013; 10: 2. Published online 2013 Jan 8. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-10-2 .Biological and therapeutic effects of ortho-silicic acid and some ortho-silicic acid-releasing compounds: New perspectives for therapy .Lela Munjas Jurkić,1 Ivica Cepanec,2 Sandra Kraljević Pavelić,1 and Krešimir Pavelić1

Ciba Found Symp. 1986;121:123-39. Silicon as an essential trace element in animal nutrition. Carlisle EM.

Nutr Res. 2011 Feb;31(2):147-56. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2010.12.002.
Soluble silica and coral sand suppress high blood pressure and improve the related aortic gene expressions in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Maehira F1, Motomura K, Ishimine N, Miyagi I, Eguchi Y, Teruya S.

J Nutr Health Aging. 2007 Mar-Apr; 11(2): 99–110.
SILICON AND BONE HEALTH
R. JUGDAOHSINGH

J Nutr. 1980 Feb;110(2):352-9.
A silicon requirement for normal skull formation in chicks.
Carlisle EM.

m J Epidemiol. 2009 Feb 15;169(4):489-96. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwn348. Epub 2008 Dec 8.
Aluminum and silica in drinking water and the risk of Alzheimer's disease or cognitive decline: findings from 15-year follow-up of the PAQUID cohort.
Rondeau V1, Jacqmin-Gadda H, Commenges D, Helmer C, Dartigues JF.

Last edited:
Seems you are making him form new ideas :hearteyes:

OP
P

paymanz

@tyw @haidut what are your thoughts on silicon's nutritional/biological values?

Do you think it has any?

Last edited:

trew

i asked dr peat again and i sent him some links on pubmed about this element, and he replied,

here are papers i asked his opinion about

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973 May;70(5):1608-12.
A bound form of silicon in glycosaminoglycans and polyuronides.
Schwarz K.

J Nutr Biochem. 1990 Sep;1(9):487-92.Silicon facilitation of copper utilization in the rat. Emerick RJ1, Kayongo-Male H.

Vopr Pitan. 1987 Jul-Aug;(4):37-9.[Zinc and silicon metabolism in highly trained athletes during heavy exercise]. [Article in Russian] Nasolodin VV, Rusin VIa, Vorob'ev VA.

Bone. 2008 Sep; 43(3): 596–606. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2008.04.014 .Increased longitudinal growth in rats on a silicon-depleted diet .Ravin Jugdaohsingh,a,b,⁎ Mario R. Calomme,c Karen Robinson,d Forrest Nielsen,e Simon H.C. Anderson,b Patrick D'Haese,f Piet Geusens,g,h Nigel Loveridge,i Richard P.H. Thompson,b and Jonathan J. Powella

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2013; 10: 2. Published online 2013 Jan 8. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-10-2 .Biological and therapeutic effects of ortho-silicic acid and some ortho-silicic acid-releasing compounds: New perspectives for therapy .Lela Munjas Jurkić,1 Ivica Cepanec,2 Sandra Kraljević Pavelić,1 and Krešimir Pavelić1

Ciba Found Symp. 1986;121:123-39. Silicon as an essential trace element in animal nutrition. Carlisle EM.

Nutr Res. 2011 Feb;31(2):147-56. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2010.12.002.
Soluble silica and coral sand suppress high blood pressure and improve the related aortic gene expressions in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Maehira F1, Motomura K, Ishimine N, Miyagi I, Eguchi Y, Teruya S.

J Nutr Health Aging. 2007 Mar-Apr; 11(2): 99–110.
SILICON AND BONE HEALTH
R. JUGDAOHSINGH

J Nutr. 1980 Feb;110(2):352-9.
A silicon requirement for normal skull formation in chicks.
Carlisle EM.

m J Epidemiol. 2009 Feb 15;169(4):489-96. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwn348. Epub 2008 Dec 8.
Aluminum and silica in drinking water and the risk of Alzheimer's disease or cognitive decline: findings from 15-year follow-up of the PAQUID cohort.
Rondeau V1, Jacqmin-Gadda H, Commenges D, Helmer C, Dartigues JF.

did you really ask him to read 10+ research papers? :lol:

OP
P

paymanz

did you really ask him to read 10+ research papers? :lol:
LoL

Of curse not like that, I just included these studies as citation in my email and mentioned that many studies have reported silicon essentially.

I know this is an ancient thread, but, bump

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals