Xanax Effect

walker_in_aus

Long story short, DH has been stressed and overworked. Whilst I was away, he borrowed some of the dog's "valium" to relax. He felt great. Googled what it was and it's Xanax, which is impossible to get in Australia.

He had more stress this week so he look a half dose the last three mornings and he is happier and more focused than he has been in a while. I thought Xanax was just a real anti panic attack prevention, not a mood improver...???

I don't want him to use benzo's though, plus it's dog medication and it's not even our dog (hahaha feel free to judge).

What exactly does Xanax do and can I get his body to do it naturally? (i.e I used high dose niacinamide to mimic temazepam sometimes).

Thanks

Dhair

Long story short, DH has been stressed and overworked. Whilst I was away, he borrowed some of the dog's "valium" to relax. He felt great. Googled what it was and it's Xanax, which is impossible to get in Australia.

He had more stress this week so he look a half dose the last three mornings and he is happier and more focused than he has been in a while. I thought Xanax was just a real anti panic attack prevention, not a mood improver...???

I don't want him to use benzo's though, plus it's dog medication and it's not even our dog (hahaha feel free to judge).

What exactly does Xanax do and can I get his body to do it naturally? (i.e I used high dose niacinamide to mimic temazepam sometimes).

Thanks
It's a GABA agonist. You could try niacinamide, taurine, theanine or inosine. They should have the same effects in higher doses.

milk_lover

I don’t know what Peat thinks about Xanax and I personally don’t have any experience with it.. Things that usually reduce my anxiety/stress and improve my mood are glycine, theanine, low-dose pregnenolone, niacinamide, T3, androsterone, K2, vitamin D..

ReSTART

It's an extremely strong GABA agonist and is extremely dangerous (addictive, fast tolerance building, withdrawls from high doses cause can death). They should stop immediately.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

It's an extremely strong GABA agonist and is extremely dangerous (addictive, fast tolerance building, withdrawls from high doses cause can death). They should stop immediately.

Oh yes! Definitely not a safe thing to use, it's literally only two or three days he took them. Oddly enough when he used taurine he went into a massive depressive episode. I don't understand the drug interactions as well as some people on this forum which is why I asked. He's not taking them any more don't worry.

Someone once told me that reactions to drugs (legal and otherwise) can say a lot about their physiology so was just looking for some advice if anyone had any.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

I don’t know what Peat thinks about Xanax and I personally don’t have any experience with it.. Things that usually reduce my anxiety/stress and improve my mood are glycine, theanine, low-dose pregnenolone, niacinamide, T3, androsterone, K2, vitamin D..
Good advice,

Benzos are the worst I know, I wouldn't think anyone would think they are good except pharmaceauticals, was just wondering if there is anything specific in his reaction to this particular one that could pinpoint some idea of what is going on with his stress response.

ReSTART

You can get a decent amount of insight into his state of being by getting him to take a personality test. I recommend a big five test, this is probably the best online free one.

He'll probably score high in neuroticism, which explains the short-term positive effects he experienced.

It is not an agonist but it modulates the effect of GABA. It also has some similarity with tricyclic antidepressants which I believe are somewhat Peatish.

Jsaute21

How low dose on Preg?

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

It is not an agonist but it modulates the effect of GABA. It also has some similarity with tricyclic antidepressants which I believe are somewhat Peatish.

Well that is interesting and contradictory to other comments. I will look into it more I guess! Modulates GABA effect how?

FredSonoma

xanax should be illegal

never met someone that takes xanax who i didn't hate vehemently 100% srs

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

xanax should be illegal

never met someone that takes xanax who i didn't hate vehemently 100% srs

That is strong response! Yeah it pretty much is in Australia. I definitely don't hate my partner though. Just want to find a better stress management tool - I think niacinamide will be good but just wondering what the effect the xanax is having and how to replicate that energetically and positively.

Mito

In pharmacology, GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulators are positive allosteric modulator (PAM) molecules that increase the activity of the GABAA receptor protein in the vertebrate central nervous system.

In psychopharmacology, GABAA receptor PAMs used as drugs have mainly sedative and anxiolytic effects. Examples of GABAA PAMs include alcohol (ethanol), benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax), Z-drugs such as zolpidem (Ambien) and the barbiturate drugs.

GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator - Wikipedia

Fractality

Xanax is potent at eliminating stress response; the effect lasts until at least through the next day in my experience. The biggest downside though is it absolutely obliterates a certain type of memory (not sure if considered "working" or "episodic"). The type of memory that many people can function fine without, but it is remarkable how even little doses will make me forget things like what I ate for dinner the previous night or a certain conversation. It also eliminates inhibitions, so you might find yourself saying something you normally wouldn't, and this can alienate people. Those people are typically high cortisol/serotonin types. Due to all this, I think it is best reserved for serious acute stress/panic relief.

Frankdee20

Xanax is potent at eliminating stress response; the effect lasts until at least through the next day in my experience. The biggest downside though is it absolutely obliterates a certain type of memory (not sure if considered "working" or "episodic"). The type of memory that many people can function fine without, but it is remarkable how even little doses will make me forget things like what I ate for dinner the previous night or a certain conversation. It also eliminates inhibitions, so you might find yourself saying something you normally wouldn't, and this can alienate people. Those people are typically high cortisol/serotonin types. Due to all this, I think it is best reserved for serious acute stress/panic relief.

All Benzodiazepines have similar effects.
Xanax (alprozolam) and Ativan (lorazepam) have faster onsets of action, than other Benzodiazepines. That is why they are approved for panic disorder. Xanax leaves the body quicker than Valium (diazepam) and Klonopin (clonazepam) though. So the fast onset of action, and short half life of Xanax tends to elicit greater addictive potential than the longer life cousins. Librium (chlordiazepoxide) is the standard treatment for alcohol detoxification in the US, and has the longest Half life of any benzodiazepine, lowest addictive potential.

Frankdee20

Basically, the benzodiazepine receptor is located on GABA-A along with Ethanol, Barbiturates, etc. It doesn't add, or increase naturally occurring GABA via increased GAD, the way Divalproex would (Depakote). It mimics GABA, and locks onto its receptor. Overtime, you produce less GABA, that's tolerance, more is needed to elicit same effect. Then you stop it, and most naturally occurring GABA is severely downregulated, not enough to quiet rebound messaging, then seizures occur, withdrawal can be deadly, like alcohol.