Would High Protein High Carb Low Fat Be The Best Way To Facilitate Healing Process?

Cirion

High Protein Diet Prevents & Reverses Fatty Liver Disease (steatosis)

I know many people suggest basically a carb only, low fat diet for fixing the liver and thyroid problems, but for most of us (myself included) who tried it, this didn't work too well... too much hunger and whatnot. Could increasing the protein dramatically while keeping carbs high fix the hunger problem, and in addition, the study Haidut posted suggests that high protein further helps the liver, so win-win?

Have many people around here tried high protein high carb low fat (maybe something like 35%-45%-20% ish) and if so how did it work out for you?

The only major negative of a high protein diet is the possibility of tanking blood glucose, right? Hence still needing carbs to be as high as possible, more so or at least equal to the protein.

My other concern with high protein is that it may be extremely challenging to minimize negative amino acids like tryptophan, cysteine, methionine, especially if you eat lots of dairy, Unless you really enjoy eating gelatin by the tub (I don't ... lol), plus not to mention the expense of that much gelatin.

Maybe bodybuilder "bro" diets are right after all??? The typical bro diet is indeed high protein, high carb, low fat... there is a young guy who is pretty shredded at my work place and he is high protein high carb low fat. I think he eats 300g protein a day, I asked him once.

I do have an n=1 anecdotal story of my own, but... Hard to say if it would have worked long term, because I did a few things different than RP suggests, and it ultimately failed, but I have theories as to why it did...

I actually did High protein High carb Zero (yes zero) fat for a while, at the suggestion of someone who gave me a bunch of advice.

I kid you not that almost all of my calories were Liquid, in the form of Whey protein & mostly Maltodextrin (Cyto-carb was my go to). He also told me to take 10g coriander, 10g curcumin, 10g cinnamon, 10g vitamin C a day. I did most of that pretty religiously and felt quite good for a month or two, in fact my personal trainer asked me what steroids I was taking, but then it started to go downhill and I quit. Looking back, I think it failed because I started to add starch to my diet (Ray Peat, wish I knew about you then, silly starch made me fail I'm all but certain now). I also started adding more muscle meats for protein (chicken breast), which also probably contributed to the failure of the diet. I guess Whey is a very good protein source and I need to get more of that in my diet. But it has tryptophan, doesn't it?

Last edited:

fradon

from what i read it was a lack of METHIONINE that causes liver problems and eating more protein to increase METHIONINE will heal the liver but too much METHIONINE over a long period of time can cause cancer and decrease longevity.

SOMO

The only major negative of a high protein diet is the possibility of tanking blood glucose, right? Hence still needing carbs to be as high as possible, more so or at least equal to the protein.

I had a day where I only ate meat and tested my blood sugar - 180.

Tested it on a day where I ate only potatoes - 110.

So who knows. It's possible the stress hormones remain in the meat after the animal is slaughtered and when you consume the meat, some of those hormones have the potential to raise your blood sugar.
Or more likely, GNG IS increased from Protein intake but only in the absence of carbohydrates, which is why a meal of "steak and potatoes" is healthier/more-balanced than 2 pieces of steak or 2 large potatoes.

Last edited:
T

tca300

~25% protein is about perfect for keeping cortisol low, higher amounts elevate cortisol, and too low ( ~ 10% or less ) raises cortisol too. Don't forget your micronutrients ( from food, not supplements - milk, liver, egg yokes, and shellfish ).

stargazer1111

High Protein Diet Prevents & Reverses Fatty Liver Disease (steatosis)

I know many people suggest basically a carb only, low fat diet for fixing the liver and thyroid problems, but for most of us (myself included) who tried it, this didn't work too well... too much hunger and whatnot. Could increasing the protein dramatically while keeping carbs high fix the hunger problem, and in addition, the study Haidut posted suggests that high protein further helps the liver, so win-win?

Have many people around here tried high protein high carb low fat (maybe something like 35%-45%-20% ish) and if so how did it work out for you?

My other concern with high protein is that it may be extremely challenging to minimize negative amino acids like tryptophan, cysteine, methionine, especially if you eat lots of dairy, Unless you really enjoy eating gelatin by the tub (I don't ... lol), plus not to mention the expense of that much gelatin.

Maybe bodybuilder "bro" diets are right after all??? The typical bro diet is indeed high protein, high carb, low fat... there is a young guy who is pretty shredded at my work place and he is high protein high carb low fat. I think he eats 300g protein a day, I asked him once.

I do have an n=1 anecdotal story of my own, but... Hard to say if it would have worked long term, because I did a few things different than RP suggests, and it ultimately failed, but I have theories as to why it did...

I actually did High protein High carb Zero (yes zero) fat for a while, at the suggestion of someone who gave me a bunch of advice.

I kid you not that almost all of my calories were Liquid, in the form of Whey protein & mostly Maltodextrin (Cyto-carb was my go to). He also told me to take 10g coriander, 10g curcumin, 10g cinnamon, 10g vitamin C a day. I did most of that pretty religiously and felt quite good for a month or two, in fact my personal trainer asked me what steroids I was taking, but then it started to go downhill and I quit. Looking back, I think it failed because I started to add starch to my diet (Ray Peat, wish I knew about you then, silly starch made me fail I'm all but certain now). I also started adding more muscle meats for protein (chicken breast), which also probably contributed to the failure of the diet. I guess Whey is a very good protein source and I need to get more of that in my diet. But it has tryptophan, doesn't it?

I am now at 3% calories from fat, 21% from protein and 76% from carbs (mostly sugar, but also small amounts of white rice and non-starchy vegetables for the fiber). I am getting roughly 2300 calories per day but sometimes more when I add extra sugar to craving.

This seems to have done something great for me. It's early, but will stick to it long-term to see how it goes. Kempner's rice diet took about 2 months for adaptation so I plan to give it at least 2 months.

My mind is so clear and stable eating this way. All my anger is gone. It was adding in the fermentable vegetable fibers that allowed me to go so low fat. Must have something to do with the gut flora because the other times I tried going this low in fat without the fiber, my brain and digestive system just shut down.

BTW, the real major negative of getting too many of your calories from protein is nitrogen overload. This is what occurs in rabbit starvation when you consume very lean protein with not enough fat or carbs. This overwhelms the liver and can kill you but I think it takes very high precentages of calories coming from protein to really accomplish this.

stargazer1111

I had a day where I only ate meat and tested my blood sugar - 180.

Tested it on a day where I ate only potatoes - 110.

So who knows. It's possible the stress hormones remain in the meat after the animal is slaughtered and when you consume the meat, some of those hormones have the potential to raise your blood sugar.
Or more likely, GNG IS increased from Protein intake but only in the absence of carbohydrates, which is why a meal of "steak and potatoes" is healthier/more-balanced than 2 pieces of steak or 2 large potatoes.

My fasting blood sugar reached 189 mg/dl once on the keto diet (taken at the hospital, not with my personal meter, so it was much more accurate).

Keto was a disaster for me and after my latest revelation that I don't tolerate fat at all, I think it was the high-fat nature of it. Fat is what causes my blood sugar problems. It was never about the carbs. I incorrectly blamed carbs like a lot of other people and doing keto just made it worse.