Wisdom Teeth/Absess Dentist Safe Options

Josh

Basically going to the dentist tomorrow to see exactly what’s going on with my wisdom teeth/absess (if it is) and tooth ache etc which ive had for over a week now (If honest, not 100% if the pain is coming from end of my tounge which i bit around the same time)

Like I don’t think they will this early but if they say they have to take out the wisdom tooth or do anything like that I should imagine these some ***t to numb you/sleep you or what ever..

Basically what are my options? If the dentist advises this should I 100% do it? Is there like things the dentist could do that could be detrimental?
E.g could say getting wisdom tooth out, should I do that?

Lilac

I have not gone to the dentist for about five years now, as I am wary, thanks to Ray Peat. Instead, I have been waiting out pain in my teeth. Sometimes it has been a case of biting my tongue or biting down hard on my teeth during sleep. Those kinds of pain subside and disappear eventually. I also have a problem molar with a root canal. I was having chronic pain around that one. I have variously tried to control that situation with oysters (for the zinc), Dr. Ellie's system, progesterone, and lately amoxicillin. So far, so good. I have not had to visit a dentist, thus avoiding X-rays.

If you must have an X-ray, Ray recommends red light immediately afterward. Please research this, as I am just repeating what I remember.

biggirlkisss

I would like to add the health of the individual is a factor to how bad xrays are. Sunlight or red light after within one hour helps but also ginger had studies to support it. I'm sure though at bright enough light red light would be better. It a trade off think of it as such

raypeatclips

I have not gone to the dentist for about five years now, as I am wary, thanks to Ray Peat. Instead, I have been waiting out pain in my teeth. Sometimes it has been a case of biting my tongue or biting down hard on my teeth during sleep. Those kinds of pain subside and disappear eventually. I also have a problem molar with a root canal. I was having chronic pain around that one. I have variously tried to control that situation with oysters (for the zinc), Dr. Ellie's system, progesterone, and lately amoxicillin. So far, so good. I have not had to visit a dentist, thus avoiding X-rays.

If you must have an X-ray, Ray recommends red light immediately afterward. Please research this, as I am just repeating what I remember.

That doesn't sound very healthy or safe, having to bite down hard in order to sleep. I thought you were going to say you'd had no problems. As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, Ray still visits a dentist, just one that he is happy with, doesn't use x-rays etc You don't have cavities do you?

inthedark

@Josh

I've had all four wisdom teeth, and issues with every one of them. One was pulled on the advice of a dentist, two others broke and were then removed. I think you need to look at this on the context of your own dental health. Eg. have you previously had issues with wisdom teeth or other teeth breaking or having abcess?

That all said, my final wisdom tooth had a large chip break off a few months ago. At first it hurt and the gums were inflamed and painful and I was positive I was going to need to go have it removed. I started using xylitol gum and mints multiple times a day, brushing with crest, using original listerine (inspired by Dr Ellie's protocol but minus a few things that are too expense here in BC) and I also rubbed Vitamin K and Idealabs Lapodin on the gums for a few nights in a row. The result is I now have zero pain in the tooth even though it has a quite large break out of it. I also used this to totally eliminate pain in another tooth that had developed a bad pocket and inflamed gums around it and that my dentist had advised may need a root canal. I really do think the antimicrobial activity of the K and Lapodin made a huge difference, while the rest of the protocol helps keep my mouth at a desirable ph and bacteria level. Again, I only used the K and Lapodin for a few days (although I do take K orally a couple times a week too) and again if I feel pain in those areas.

Lilac

having to bite down hard in order to sleep

I did not mean to convey that idea. What I was saying was I occasionally bite my tongue or clench my teeth too tight during sleep. When I wake up, there is pain. That pain can feel like a toothache, but it fades away as the days pass. A rotten tooth only gets more painful.

raypeatclips

I did not mean to convey that idea. What I was saying was I occasionally bite my tongue or clench my teeth too tight during sleep. When I wake up, there is pain. That pain can feel like a toothache, but it fades away as the days pass. A rotten tooth only gets more painful.

Oh I understand, that wasn't what I thought you meant at all!