Why Do We Crave More Dense Food When It's Cold?

amethyst

Since it's been so cold for most of the states the last few days, with all the snow storms, I find myself craving more dense, stick-to-the-ribs, heartier types of food, and less fruits. Foods that are more satiating. Why is that?

OP
A

amethyst

Ok so I guess I'm the only one who craves dense food when it's cold, and damn, it's cold!

InChristAlone

Yes I need more starch and fat in the winter to keep warm.

OP
A

amethyst

Yes I need more starch and fat in the winter to keep warm.
Yea, I think it's for the warmth. Just light foods like fruit don't do it for me in the winter. I still eat fruit, but I definitely eat more things like cheeses, butter on potatoes , that sort of thing.

InChristAlone

Yeah fruit is a cooling food. Perfect for summer.

Queequeg

funny, after finishing shoveling the driveway in 20 degree weather, I just happily scarfed down a tangerine and an apple. Of course I think I was overheated from the activity so the cooling was perfect. I think we crave energy dense foods when we are cold because we need the added energy to raise body temperature as well as take care of normal metabolic activities. I don't think fruitarians/vegetarians do very well in cold weather.

Peater Piper

Diets higher in fat may be better for maintaining metabolic rate during cold exposure depending on race.
CiNii 論文 - EFFECT OF HIGH-FAT DIET ON THERMAL ACCLIMATION WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO THYROID ACTIVITY

Assuming that an adaptative process of the thyroid gland may be involved in the mechanism of metabolic adaptation to heat and cold and that the experimental results of metabolism in rat may be applicable to the mechanism of metabolism in man, the following explanation was presented for the difference of seasonal variations of BMR between Caucasian (white American and Canadian) and Japanese. Japanese present a seasonal variation of BMR, increasing in winter and decreasing in summer, as an outcome of metabolic adaptation to heat and cold in various seasons. In Caucasians, however, their thyroid activity is promoted by the intake of a high-fat diet. This promotion of thyroid activity may inhibit the reduction of metabolism in heat acclimatization, thus maintaining the BMR at a constant level throughout the year. Thus the appearance of climatic effect in the BMR of Japanese may be due to their habitual high-carbohydrate diet.<BR>4) In acute exposure to air of 10°C, the high-fat diet group showed superiority in maintenance of body temperature in the cold, while the high-carbohydrate group showed a most remarkable drop of rectal temperature.

Queequeg

BobbyDukes

So the OJ in the winter is an unnatural thing? It's not in season right now, is it?

One thing I do know, is that the quality of fruit here right now in the UK is probably the worst I have ever seen it. I spent hundreds on this new juicer, but I never use it because the oranges here truly suck. Unless you can afford the really expensive stuff, the vast majority of it is bordering on inedible. The best commercially sold fruit juices are way superior in quality, so that's what I stick to generally.

I don't think I have ever really had an exceptional orange. I wonder what one tastes like. Maybe David Wolfe knows. All you guys in Florida must have the best ones, no?!

OP
A

amethyst

funny, after finishing shoveling the driveway in 20 degree weather, I just happily scarfed down a tangerine and an apple. Of course I think I was overheated from the activity so the cooling was perfect. I think we crave energy dense foods when we are cold because we need the added energy to raise body temperature as well as take care of normal metabolic activities. I don't think fruitarians/vegetarians do very well in cold weather.
I don't think vegetarians do so well in cold weather but then again, I'll probably get a response saying how great they do eating just fruit in the winter, so there ya go! All I know is I have cabin fever with all this snow :wacky::wacky:

aquaman

So the OJ in the winter is an unnatural thing? It's not in season right now, is it?

One thing I do know, is that the quality of fruit here right now in the UK is probably the worst I have ever seen it. I spent hundreds on this new juicer, but I never use it because the oranges here truly suck. Unless you can afford the really expensive stuff, the vast majority of it is bordering on inedible. The best commercially sold fruit juices are way superior in quality, so that's what I stick to generally.

I don't think I have ever really had an exceptional orange. I wonder what one tastes like. Maybe David Wolfe knows. All you guys in Florida must have the best ones, no?!

In summer I get good ones in London that come from Spain, some from Egypt. Winter not so good since they come from SA.

If you find a good fruit wholesaler, or good greengrocer or even visit the fruit markets you can get them. I get around 80 big oranges for £14 from a local grocer which works out about £1.60/80 a litre from memory (about 10 oranges per litre).

DaveFoster

Mostly water content. Hypothyroid people evaporate about a quart of water, hyper about 3 quarts, so less is needed in the winter when thyroid activity decreases.

aquaman

Liquids in morning make me cold. In general solid food improves my metabolic rate more than liquid.

T

tca300

Been between -10° and 13° the past month where I live. Orange juice and .5% milk, under 23 grams of fat per day keep me running at 99° no problems. People who need hot foods to keep them warm need to focus on their hypothyroidism and or eat more food.

Queequeg

I don't think vegetarians do so well in cold weather but then again, I'll probably get a response saying how great they do eating just fruit in the winter, so there ya go! All I know is I have cabin fever with all this snow :wacky::wacky:
I think we'll be ok. I am not sure there are very many vegetarians left on this site since RP is decidedly against such silliness.

Peater Piper

Been between -10° and 13° the past month where I live. Orange juice and .5% milk, under 23 grams of fat per day keep me running at 99° no problems. People who need hot foods to keep them warm need to focus on their hypothyroidism and or eat more food.
Aren't you taking thyroid, though? Or have you stopped?

keith

Queequeg

Not saying he is for it, but he doesn't seem to be "decidedly against such silliness". See Peat's Surprising Response To My Email. A "Ray Peat Vegan" Is Possible
I knew this was coming as soon as I wrote that. First I was being hyperbolic but as for your email, my take is that he was trying to work within your defined limits. You asked him for his advice for a "dedicated vegan." Ray is not one to impose his beliefs but likes to let others find their own way. He has said many times that it is very difficult to get vegetarianism/veganism right. Doable but very difficult. From an ethical standpoint he is ok with it, but from a diet and health standpoint I don't think he feels it makes any sense.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals