Why Are PUFA's Delicious?

OP
N

narouz

I understand about a Peat diet being satisfying
in the sense that one does not find oneself distracted/tormented
by incessant thoughts of foods one is craving.
I've found that to be true in my own experience of a Peat diet.

On the other hand,
if I am not freshly stuffed with my 4th pint of 1% milk,
and I am walking by a pizzeria
and see a steaming pepperoni pie...
...I want it. :twisted:

Furthermore,
I don't want to rake the cheese/sauce/etc off of the wheat crust,
pick out the pepperonis,
and eat just the cheese (which would be Peatian).

Now, I don't eat the pizza.
I'm just honestly representing what my desires are
after 2 years of Peating.

My guess is that 99% of the people I know
would share that desire.
Of course, none of those folks are Peatians that I know of.

But my honest speculation is
that you take those non-Peatians,
you somehow get them to eat a strict Peat diet for 2 years,
you then walk them by that pizzeria...

...they Want to eat that pizza.

(This is in no way meant to discredit the benefits of a Peat diet. ;) )

I actually love this way of eating, very freeing indeed. I will never tire of milk, cheese, fruit, seafood and eggs. I guess I prefer a simple life, especially while I am focused on healing. I never have cravings for and never ever think about packaged processed food, I didn't when I was paleo either tho. I haven't eaten boxed pre-made industrial food since February 2011. I eat in restaurants like twice a year, even when on vacation I try to vacation near a Costco so I can get familiar foods and cook in the room (saves a TON of money).

It's funny, the kitchen in the house where I now live has a HUGE pantry and it is practically empty, it has a case of coke and some tinned oysters. The only difference between my former diet and now is that I basically swapped fruit for veg added more (unfermented) milk and cut out all PUFA....the only PUFA I really miss is bacon and avocado.

I do have an occasional Mexican coke, not every day and I certainly don't crave it like some sort of sugar fiend that you read and hear about everywhere.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I guess I'm not that strict. I've had gluten free pizza a couple times and just made it as Peaty as possible. I had it topped with shrimp! :D When I started Peat I was pretty weak and malnourished so I suppose I just do my best within a framework of living a good balanced life. Maybe that's why I don't have cravings? :D From what I've read since then the crust probably contained wood! :eek

J

j.

narouz said:
I don't want to rake the cheese/sauce/etc off of the wheat crust,
pick out the pepperonis,
and eat just the cheese (which would be Peatian).

No, that wouldn't be Peatian. Peat doesn't avoid all milk to replace it with farmers cheese with added calcium because that would have a better protein profile for an adult. But he does note that the protein profile is better. Maybe that knowledge would be useful for someone sicker than Peat.

I also wouldn't take off the wheat crust, I would most definitely eat it, if it's fried in a good oil.

Peat doesn't have a fixed dietary guideline applicable to everyone regardless of his context and desires. He has knowledge about which foods best promote health, and the value of each food changes depending on the state of health. People with excess estrogen could get more benefits from the anti-estrogenic effects of orange juice than from coca cola, but for someone with better health the difference will be smaller.

If Peat was sicker he might eat the farmers cheese with added calcium carbonate and reduce milk as much as possible, since he mentioned it has a better protein profile, but in his current state he doesn't, and that doesn't mean Peat isn't Peatian.

OP
N

narouz

Sung to the tune of Lennon's "Imagine"

Imagine there's no PUFA
It's easy if you try
No phosphate hell below us
Above us only saturate sky

Imagine all the people
Eating in this way

Imagine there's no desire
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to crave or lust for
And no fish oil, too

Imagine all the people
Drinking milk in peace*

You may say I'm a Peatian
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will be as one

* Alternate verse:
Eating cheese in peace

J

j.

narouz said:
Imagine all the people
Drinking milk in peace

Actually milk is not Peatian in your way of thinking about a fixed ideal Peat diet which supposedly all Peatians follow. That diet has as much cheese and as little milk as possible, because Peat noted that the former has a better protein profile.

pboy

its awesome because i don't feel like im restricting or whatever, being strict or doing anything because someone said. Ive literally managed to match up what I would want to do with what works and nothing I don't want just for the sake of getting something someone said I should. And im still alive and moving well sleeping well day to day and on a pretty consistent schedule so im not really worried. There cant ever be anything long term that isn't actually what you want to do, something youre supposed to do doesn't ever work. And what you want to do is what makes you feel the best as best you know. Ultimately once one has isolated and experienced enough, naturally what you want is what is best for you and makes you feel the best and most mobile. If you have cravings its actually best to go all out and honor them, because the sooner you do the sooner your subconscious and conscious about what makes you feel like what will become clear, and you wont be doing anything because someone said, but rather what you want and its actually whats best reflected by your entire physiology vibrating back good compared to anything else. It all culminates in simple awesomeness, just like the fact in life that ultimately ends up being better for you is actually whats most harmonious with everyone else and the environment...people just aren't brave enough to go through all the trials tribulations and experiences to realize this. You have to have the courage to try novel things because your soul feels like its right and put it up to the test

Pizza ingredients are wheat flour, baker's yeast, salt, water, tomato sauce, olive oil and (grass-fed mozzarella, basil) or (garlic, oregano). It is not fried, cooking is one to two minutes. This is what it looks like:

Eq_it-na_pizza-margherita_sep2005_sml.jpg

pboy

lol narouz nice

j, I didn't realize that...so casein actually has better profile than whey I assume? The thing is, milk has all the potassium, b5, more selenium, and choline than cheese, and even the sugar. I guess it has to be taken into context what else youre eating to see if those are vitally important or not...in my case they seem to be. I think I digest milk faster than cheese too...pretty significantly easier, dunno if anyone else does, I hear many say they digest yogurt and cheese better than milk but in my case, I digest milk easier than pretty much anything but white sugar

J

j.

casein is digested slowly. whey is digested quickly.

milk is better from a calcium/phosphorus ratio perspective, so you would have to add calcium carbonate to make it better in that aspect, or somehow add more calcium.

my point was not that one shouldn't consume milk, but that if one doesn't always consume the best possible food, regardless of one's context and health, that doesn't mean one isn't 'Peating', as narouz implied (if you don't remove the gluten crust from your pizza, you aren't Peating, is what he said. i say the same argument can be used to say that Peat isn't Peating, because Peat's writings indicate cheese is better in some ways and in the other ways it can be improved, for example, with adding calcium)

Mittir

narouz said:
But my honest speculation is
that you take those non-Peatians,
you somehow get them to eat a strict Peat diet for 2 years,
you then walk them by that pizzeria...

...they Want to eat that pizza.

(This is in no way meant to discredit the benefits of a Peat diet. ;) )

Pizza can be a "Peatian" food if it is made with high calcium real cheese
and sprouted and or fermented dough. Traditional way of bread making
( Sourdough, Ezekiel bread etc) breaks down anti nutrients like phytic acid
and allergenic proteins like gluten. Only remaining problem in sprouted/fermented bread
is low calcium and cheese can take care of that. If one drinks fruit juice or coca cola with
pizza that will also improve the glucose to fructose ratio.
It is some extra work but one does not have to give up pizza
to follow a " strict peatian way of eating".
There are some studies on gluten free fermented breads for celiac patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC348803/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20951830

After learning most commercial pizza places uses some strange
kind of low saturated fat cheese with tons of additives i
do not feel any urge to eat pizza when i walk by pizza place.
I believe they also use vegan non-animal enzyme in their cheese.
But, i love home made pizza. I have not tried the long fermenting and
sprouting method yet. But, i plan to do that in future.

OP
N

narouz

Geez, you guys are clever. Darn slippery.

Okay...just to play along...
Remember, I did say pepperoni pizza.
Which, I think, has quite a lot of hog fat.
PUFA, that is.

And I'll even accept Mittir's sprouted dough.
Loads of phosphate in thar still, I'd have to think.

Let's say someone eats a piece of Mittir's pepperoni pizza
-once a week: Peatian?
-one piece everyday: Peatian?
-three pieces every day: still Peatian?
-an entire eighteen-incher every day: still?

I do realize many enjoy defining a Peat diet
in such vague ways as to render the concept meaningless.
Still...even for those kinds of Peatians
who stand in front of the mirror every morning and chant:
"There is No Peat Diet"
and
"Context is Everything"...

...even for those Peatians,
I would think
that at some point some lines will be drawn.
And that's indicative. ;)

J

j.

For me, where the line is drawn is the point where your health gets worse instead of improving. If you're eating pepperoni pizza every day, three times, but if your health doesn't get worse -to the best of your knowledge-, and you feel fine, for me that's still Peating, if you're mindful of what you're doing.

J

j.

Mittir said:
After learning most commercial pizza places uses some strange
kind of low saturated fat cheese with tons of additives i
do not feel any urge to eat pizza when i walk by pizza place.

Oh, your emotions are consistent with your knowledge... that's something out of this planet to some.

pboy

I think once a food goes through the digestive process a few times, if the person actually knows what they are getting, the body begins to recognize on a subconscious level the quality and whatever might be irritating and over time the conscious will begin to have different taste preferences and foods they prefer. But if you never actually try new things or are unaware of what you are digesting, its almost impossible to do anything just based on what you've read...it has to be experienced to the point you know for sure what is best and what isn't and you only actually end up caring about that...consequently your food preferences reflect it by nature of you desiring them more than others

in simpler words, our conscious cravings are a reflection of the best our subconscious knows based on actual digestive experience

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm fortunate to live near a small family owned pizzeria that will use only EVOO and parmigiano upon request. I've had their pizza 2 times in nine months. I'm sure the crust isn't sprouted/fermented but I feel the enjoyable family outing made up for any minor toxins I may have ingested. I left both times feeling fine and appreciative of the relaxing time spent freed from the normal cooking and cleaning demands. I think an occasional night out is not only possible but can even be health enhancing with a little advance planning. I guess to me it's about doing our best on a day to day basis and sometimes accepting a little imperfection.

OP
N

narouz

As I noted,
I started the thread intending some comic relief.
But, also, with some gravity.

I could have picked any Peatian evil food.
PUFA seems to be the Moriarity Behind the Scenes in PeatWorld.
Instead of pizza I might've used bacon.
Oh the horror.

A theme you will find in the responses here
could be described as utopian:
one discovers a Peat diet,
one enters into deep and uninterrupted bliss.
The Peat foods are perfect in every respect.
All desires are satisfied.
There is no tension.

My 2 year+ experience is not that simple.
Let me change the subject for a moment in order to make the point.

You're a guy, let's say.
You see a girl.
She looks beautiful and sexy.
Your instinct and appetite guide you to her.
She looks and smells and feels and sounds perfect.

Does she always or even often turn out to be, indeed, perfect?
To effectively nourish your life?
Are our instincts a guarantee of success?

Why should we believe our food instincts
are any more accurate
than our romantic instincts?

Most of us who are aged beyond 16 years
have come to acknowledge ambivalence and tension
in our romantic appetites.

Why would we not expect the same in our dietary appetites?

J

j.

Shorter 16-page Narouz: Please say you're as miserable as I am. I don't want to be miserable alone. You crave that pepperoni pizza, correct? ;) ;) I saw you glancing at it :roll:. It's indicative.

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
Shorter 16-page Narouz: Please say you're as miserable as I am. I don't want to be miserable alone. You crave that pepperoni pizza, correct? ;) ;) I saw you glancing at it :roll:. It's indicative.

:D

SQu

Mittir you wrote 'Traditional way of bread making
( Sourdough, Ezekiel bread etc) breaks down anti nutrients like phytic acid
and allergenic proteins like gluten.'

Slightly OT but would you be so kind as to comment on the bread I make? It's from a recipe I got off a forum, and it's really great because it's simple and easy and no kneading required. It's normal white wheat flour plus 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 and 1/4 tsp salt, and water. You mix and leave overnight, then allow to rise 2 more hours, then bake. It's a tiny amount of yeast and a long time for rising so I wondered if it might mostly work on the sourdough principle as the dough looks like porridge with bubbles in it. So I wondered about breaking down of phytic acid. It makes a fabulous ciabatta like bread with no effort required, just a bit of time planning, and I'll happily share the full recipe if anyone is interested. But healthwise I thought the only advantages over normal bread would be no additives other than what they put into normal commercial white flour - the label admits to none, who knows! ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom