Who Experienced Benefits With Coconut Oil?

Collden

Coconut oil is one of Ray Peats favourite substances, it adorns the front page of his website. However reading the Ray Peat forum with regards to coconut oil is pretty disheartening, its mostly people complaining about side effects its giving them or how it did nothing for them except weight gain.

I've consumed zero coconut fat for the past couple of years, decided a few days ago to give coconut oil a try, consuming about an ounce per day divided in breakfast and dinner.

Holy ***t, in the first couple of days of trying this I totally got what Peat says about coconut oil working to disinhibit the thyroid in a fundamental way - for several hours after eating it my hypothyroid symptoms go away - I dont need to urinate all morning and my sunlight sensitivity goes away, my (normally poor) appetite is way up and all traces of fatigue go away as well.

Now on the fourth day I'm experiencing some gastric upset, which I'm hoping will go away with continued use. I'm guessing this might as well be an effect of increased thyroid function since gastric upset can also be caused initially with coffee or thyroid supplements.

Looking for other peoples experiences, how has coconut oil helped you?

TeaRex14

Coconut oil has a profoundly positive effect for me. I think the issue is people who have positive experiences, don't really have a reason to start a thread about it. So the only people that talk extensively about coconut oil, are those with negative experiences. The idea of people gaining weight from coconut oil is very perplexing to me. I lose more bodyfat by including coconut oil, thus increasing my caloric intake, than by not eating it. Another thing, I've always been clear about my usage of non-hydrogenated coconut oil. A lot of people use hydrogenated coconut oil, and while the PUFA content is less, the oil is contaminated with nickle. I haven't been convinced yet that hydrogenated oil is safe, and regular coconut oil has negligible amounts of PUFA, unless you're eating a cup of it, lol. A fruit based diet with salt, gelatin, and a little coconut oil is a good way to lean out, no doubt.

jzeno

It helped me gain a bunch of weight (good thing)

Helped me to increase body temp. when I first began trying to become less sensitive to the cold. I ate it by accident then warmed up and I searched the Internet furiously for people talking about this and I stumbled upon Ray Peat. The rest is history

OP
C

Collden

Coconut oil has a profoundly positive effect for me. I think the issue is people who have positive experiences, don't really have a reason to start a thread about it. So the only people that talk extensively about coconut oil, are those with negative experiences. The idea of people gaining weight from coconut oil is very perplexing to me. I lose more bodyfat by including coconut oil, thus increasing my caloric intake, than by not eating it.
Thanks for your input, yeah I suspect this is the case with a lot of things. The internet can give you a really distorted view of what works for people and what doesnt, like a reverse facebook effect.

TeaRex14

Yeah. It's kind of like going to Google and typing in the search bar "5 reasons why coconut oil is bad for you" lol.

livesimply

.... Another thing, I've always been clear about my usage of non-hydrogenated coconut oil. A lot of people use hydrogenated coconut oil, and while the PUFA content is less, the oil is contaminated with nickle.....

I am not familiar with hydrogenated coconut oil. I looked it up and found this from www.healthimpactnews.com:
Hydrogenated Coconut Oil: This is the one refined coconut oil you want to stay away from as an edible oil.

The small portion of unsaturated fatty acids are hydrogenated, creating some trans fats. It also keeps coconut oil solid at higher temperatures.

We are not aware of such a product in the U.S. edible oil market at this time.

If it exists as a product, it is probably going to be as an ingredient in the confection industry in tropical climates. Standard RBD coconut oil remains solid up to 76 degrees F., and the ambient air temperature is higher than that in the tropics most of the time.

So to keep coconut oil solid at higher temperatures, they hydrogenate it before putting it into candies or baked goods, or making into margarines.

I typically use Spectrum Refined CO; what hydrogenated CO are you talking about?

TeaRex14

Different ones, I'm not too familiar with the market and what the pro-hydrogenated crowd uses. But for example, this is hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenated coconut oil will likely be called 92 degree coconut oil wherever you find it, since it melts at 92 degrees instead of 76 degrees.

livesimply

Different ones, I'm not too familiar with the market and what the pro-hydrogenated crowd uses. But for example, this is hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenated coconut oil will likely be called 92 degree coconut oil wherever you find it, since it melts at 92 degrees instead of 76 degrees.
I did read reviews mentioning some use it for cooking, but I would've thought it was for skincare..... Live and learn. :rolleyes:

TeaRex14

I did read reviews mentioning some use it for cooking, but I would've thought it was for skincare..... Live and learn. :rolleyes:
Yeah, haha. I'm definitely very skittish about using such a product. I agree with the notion PUFAs are bad, but I don't know if trading them for trans fat is a net positive. Besides, if regular coconut oil has too much PUFA in it, we all might as well hang it up and head to the house, because PUFAs are everywhere in trace amounts and it's unrealistic to think we can hydrogenated everything.

Waynish

Coconut oil has a profoundly positive effect for me. I think the issue is people who have positive experiences, don't really have a reason to start a thread about it. So the only people that talk extensively about coconut oil, are those with negative experiences. The idea of people gaining weight from coconut oil is very perplexing to me. I lose more bodyfat by including coconut oil, thus increasing my caloric intake, than by not eating it. Another thing, I've always been clear about my usage of non-hydrogenated coconut oil. A lot of people use hydrogenated coconut oil, and while the PUFA content is less, the oil is contaminated with nickle. I haven't been convinced yet that hydrogenated oil is safe, and regular coconut oil has negligible amounts of PUFA, unless you're eating a cup of it, lol. A fruit based diet with salt, gelatin, and a little coconut oil is a good way to lean out, no doubt.

Can you link me to the nickel contamination? Anyone know about the various hydrogenation processes? Not sure why Peat feels comfortable recommending it across the board; I don't see why a hydrogenation process couldn't potentially cause side effects (other that merely hydrogenating every fat molecule).

TeaRex14

Can you link me to the nickel contamination? Anyone know about the various hydrogenation processes? Not sure why Peat feels comfortable recommending it across the board; I don't see why a hydrogenation process couldn't potentially cause side effects (other that merely hydrogenating every fat molecule).
Well I haven't found something specifically linking hydrogenated coconut oil to nickle contamination. However, according to this nickle is used in the hydrogenation process of tallow and sunflower/soybean oils. I can't really see why the process would be much different for coconut oil. Also, RPF has a few threads worth checking out if you're considering hydrogenated coconut oil. This thread discusses catalyst contamination of hydrogenated oils (albeit not coconut). In this thread there is some discussion that takes place about finding a trustworthy source of fully hydrogenated coconut oil, and not something that's partially hydrogenated.

serling78

I've seen people say that coconut oil blocks DHT. Can anyone confirm? I'd like to work coconut oil into my routine but I don't want to block DHT.

Velve921

7 years ago I started using it... I use to drink coffee black.

When I came across bullet proof (before I got into Peat), I started adding coconut oil to coffee. Relative, the difference in energy and blood sugar was profound.

serling78

7 years ago I started using it... I use to drink coffee black.

When I came across bullet proof (before I got into Peat), I started adding coconut oil to coffee. Relative, the difference in energy and blood sugar was profound.

Cool. So you've experienced no negative side effects from coconut oil then?

Velve921

Cool. So you've experienced no negative side effects from coconut oil then?

Not personally and I experimented with higher doses of 5-7 tbsp early on. This was during my paleo and intermittent fasting days.

I only do 1 tbsp a day now in the morning.

The only negative was the taste got a little old