What's More Important For Metabolism - HR Or Temperature?

Cirion

An example...

Today just before breakfast my temperature was 98.8, HR 83 BPM.

After eating, temperature dropped slightly to 98.5, HR increased to 85 BPM.

I suspect temperature drop was due to the two glasses of OJ. But the HR increased, which leads me to think metabolism did increase overall?

Thoughts?

RP loves Milk and OJ (and Mexican cola for that matter), both of which are going to decrease temperature, so it sounds like RP doesn't care as much about temperature? Does anyone have any quotes from RP about OJ/Milk lowering temperature and the impacts thereof?

HR increases from food seem to be immune from cold, and in some cases, can go up a lot though. my HR went up to 100 BPM after eating a whole watermelon one time! What was also weird to me, is that my temperature shot up to 100 F after eating the watermelon as well, despite the fact it's a cold fruit with lots of water.

A lot of folk here also look at drinking water with disdain - due to temperature drop, & mineral loss, but what about the research that shows even mild dehydration can result in decreased sex hormones? I get that drinking too much can affect mineral balance, just means you need to be sure to get plenty of calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium etc while drinking lots of water.

"Effect of hydration state on resistance exercise-induced endocrine markers of anabolism, catabolism, and metabolism."
Effect of hydration state on resistance exercise-induced endocrine markers of anabolism, catabolism, and metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.anabolicmen.com/water-testosterone/

Tried to paste the pic from the study in here, but it's here https://www.anabolicmen.com/wp-cont...s-on-cortisol-and-testosterone-production.jpg

In the pic, EU = not dehydrated, HY25 = dehydrated by 2.5% bw, HY50 = dehydrated by 5% Bw

Last edited:
Temperature is way more important in my opinion. Heart rate can be elevated by the nervous system and andrenaline...
Low temperature is usually indicative of a bad brain set point or low hormones which can't sustain a normal temperature,
and with a low temperature all the systems will function poorly.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Temperature is way more important in my opinion. Heart rate can be elevated by the nervous system and andrenaline...
Low temperature is usually indicative of a bad brain set point or low hormones which can't sustain a normal temperature,
and with a low temperature all the systems will function poorly.

If that's true (and I'm not saying it's not, just trying to understand) why does RP recommend so many liquids in the diet?

I think I've established for myself that fruit can raise temperature even if it's cold. But liquids almost always reduce my temperature, if it's cold, even if I add salt to it.

True adrenaline can increase HR, but again, in low metabolism individuals, who usually have had elevated adrenaline for a long time, HR is usually low, not high.

I'm suspecting you're at least partially correct though. It's proven time and time again that most people here get better success with more solid food and less liquid, perhaps because of the temperature effects.

Last edited:

Luckytype

I think an improvement in both is the important part.

I feel like garbage but I can sometimes get temps up, sometimes get pulse better but its ultra rare that both improve for me even for a short time and do so together.

Then again, where I am at I have no pattern established between anything at all yet.

tara

Non-expert speculations:
An example...

Today just before breakfast my temperature was 98.8, HR 83 BPM.

After eating, temperature dropped slightly to 98.5, HR increased to 85 BPM.

I suspect temperature drop was due to the two glasses of OJ. But the HR increased, which leads me to think metabolism did increase overall?

Thoughts?
It's resting heart rate that can be an indicator of base metabolism, and hard-working digestion is not quite rest.

If that's true (and I'm not saying it's not, just trying to understand) why does RP recommend so many liquids in the diet?

Have you seen him recommend a very high amount of liquids specifically as good for raising base metabolism? I thought it was more like that the body can handle it if metabolism is strong.
His 2q milk + 1 q OJ suggestion as a basis for fat loss diet might be a bit higher than normal for some people, depending on climate and activity etc. Peat and some here have had much more than that, but that's probably with already established higher metabolism. Peat also seems reasonably OK with various other foods that are not high in water, and lots of people here have found ways to get higher calorie density.

RP loves Milk and OJ (and Mexican cola for that matter), both of which are going to decrease temperature, so it sounds like RP doesn't care as much about temperature? Does anyone have any quotes from RP about OJ/Milk lowering temperature and the impacts thereof?
How much they decrease temperature probably depends on:
  • the temperature of the drink - drinking it warm reduces the cooling effect.
  • activity level of drinker - sweating a lot can increase need for liquid
  • the ambient temperature of the environment - in a warm climate it might be easier to cope with.
  • the quantity of liquid consumed at once - I'd expect small drinks often to be much easier to handle than large ones less frequently. Someone who tries to replace standard breakfast, lunch and dinner with comparable calories from milk and juice in 3 meals seems likely to take in massive amounts of liquid in a short enough time to cause a lot of stress for a body that is struggling. But 1 cup every waking hour might be more workable from a fluid-control point of view.
  • the metabolism of the drinker - someone with a roaring metabolism may have no trouble accommodating the liquids.
Peat has talked about the difficulties people get into from forcing themselves to drink water far beyond thirst. But he's also said that that's because he doesn't usually have to persuade people to drink when they are thirsty. I'm sure he knows that dehydration is a serious problem when it happens, just that it's not one he was coming across often.

I think Peat has said temps respond more quickly than resting heartrate to change in base metabolism. I wouldn't interpret a sudden change in heartrate from a meal or from other lifestyle changes as any reliable indicator - I'd look at the trend in resting heartrate over weeks at least.

Personally, I probably often get ~2-3l liquid/day. Either too much or too little can get me into trouble. If I've been eating a lot of calorie dense food, I need to drink water. When I've been running on juice, I don't. For me, my best way to assess seems to be taste. When water tastes good, it usually means I can use it, otherwise not. With juice it's harder to tell, because I could be drinking for either hunger or thirst or both.