What Would You Do To Heal Your Microbiome?

Emstar1892

Hello, me again!

Still on the quest to find out what is wrong with me and why I feel so ill all the time.

I suspect dysbiosis - I have had swollen lymph nodes for 2 years, constipation, anxiety, low thyroid, brain fog and more.

I was on tetralysal (tetracyclines) for acne between the ages of 12-18. Never took probiotic. Could this have wiped out the good stuff too?

More importantly, what would you do if you were me? Take probiotics? Pay for loads of tests? Take anti's? Change your diet?

InChristAlone

I personally don't like messing with it unless there is a known infection. But there are things that can help keep symptoms at bay like figuring out which foods your gut really hates. I've heard methylene blue being good for fungal issues, I might try it as anxiety can be a symptom of overgrowth. Other than that even after years of research (and probiotics and fermented foods and GAPS diet) I can't say for certain what the best course is for someone with major gut problems other than healing on a whole.

Mufasa

My gut feeling says that vitamin A is very good for my gut. I take 50.000 IU daily, if I don't eat liver.

Brian

I explored going hardcore antibiotic/biofilm as the key, but now I lean towards just simply focusing on magnesium, zinc, and retinol intake is all that is needed in most cases along with enough calories.

The white film on my tongue completely disappeared when I focused on these things even with a considerable amount of starch intake. Avoiding starch didn't really help much, although keeping the starch portion size per meal at first to a reasonable amount for my digestive capacity seemed to help some. In the long run though I think it's simply about restoring cell energetics and the magnesium, zinc, copper, and other mineral related chemical processes.

T3 or thyroid surrogates (some combination of caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide, magnesium, methylene blue) are probably helpful in most cases for increasing cellular energy produciton of the gut so it can repair itself and fully absorb nutrients early in the small intestine, so that there is less chance for endotoxin.

The thyroid surrogates double as fairly potent anti-biofilm/antibiotics anyways, so I think they're a pretty good route to go.

Last edited:

m_arch

I explored going hardcore antibiotic/biofilm as the key, but now I lean towards just simply focusing on magnesium, zinc, and retinol intake is all that is needed in most cases along with enough calories.

The white film on my tongue completely disappeared when I focused on these things even with a considerable amount of starch intake. Avoiding starch didn't really help much, although keeping the starch portion size per meal at first to a reasonable amount for my digestive capacity seemed to help some. In the long run though I think it's simply about restoring cell energetics and the magnesium, zinc, copper, and other mineral related chemical processes.

T3 or thyroid surrogates (some combination of caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide, magnesium, methylene blue) are probably helpful in most cases for increasing cellular energy produciton of the gut so it can repair itself and fully absorb nutrients early in the small intestine, so that there is less chance for endotoxin.

The thyroid surrogates double as fairly potent anti-biofilm/antibiotics anyways, so I think they're a pretty good route to go.
Magnesium zinc and vitamin a for white tongue is interesting! I've had some improvement using a and magnesium. How much of each fixed your tongue?

Brian

Magnesium zinc and vitamin a for white tongue is interesting! I've had some improvement using a and magnesium. How much of each fixed your tongue?

Not much. I focused more on zinc by eating beef daily and not much dairy for a couple months. My thinking is that mucous membrane health is highly dependent on vitamin A being transported by its zinc dependent binding protein. I also wonder if that's why zinc seems to be important for calcium metabolism since it is greatly improves when sufficient osteocalcin from enough A, D, and K is present.

If tongue health is any proxy for intestinal health, than I would guess it also greatly improves gut function when enough zinc and vitamin A are available.

Last edited:
OP
E

Emstar1892

I didn't realise anyone had replied to this! Thank you. I will take on board all of your comments and implement as much as I can! I hope you are all well and thriving.

Amazoniac

Vitamin C Is An Endotoxin Antagonist And Can Reduce Cortisol And Inflammation
Oxygen may play a critical role in gut health. Oxygen gradients decrease steeply from the upper to lower gastrointestinal tract and also increase from the lumen to the more vascularized epithelial layer. Oxygen regulates microbial colonization with more oxygen-tolerant bacteria in the mucosa (e.g. Helicobacter) whereas obligate anaerobes (e.g. Firmicutes) are luminal [86,87]. Oxygen gradients also contribute to microbial biogeography by influencing metabolite production and modulating redox effectors (e.g. nitric oxide, hydrogen sulfide, ROS) of either bacteria or host origin [88]. ROS generated by the intestinal epithelium [89,90] function to exert redox-responsive cell signaling (e.g. thiol redox switches) and maintain gut barrier integrity [91,92].
On suffocating tissues..

[86] A Little O2 May Go a Long Way in Structuring the GI Microbiome

"In agreement with previous measurements in the cecum,[11] luminal concentrations of O2 were approximately 40 mmHg. That concentration increased after inhalation of pure O2, reflecting diffusion of O2 from the tissue into the cecum lumen. Based on the compilation of O2 concentrations throughout experimental manipulations, the authors conclude that there is a steep, radial gradient of O2 in the intestines (Figure 1). O2 diffusing into the lumen is consumed by mucosal-associated microbes resulting in extremely low concentrations of O2 in the intestinal lumen (<1 mmHg). The microbiota in the mucosa are clearly important to the health of the host, and until now we know little about this community of microbes and how it is structured by the chemical features of the environment. Albenberg et al showed that mucosa-associated bacteria are not static under physiologic conditions and are highly influenced by the O2 tension in mucosa layer. The dynamic shifts in the microbiome in turn may affect the functional status of the mucosal layer contributing to mucosal homeostasis or pathology."

upload_2019-2-16_20-23-0.png

"To examine the potential for O2 to shape the composition of the gut microbiome, mice were exposed to hyperbaric oxygen therapy. After 9 days of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, tissue oxygenation increased 5-fold and the microbial community surveyed in fecal samples also shifted in composition. These finding were extended to the human microbiome through molecular surveys of microbial communities generated from biopsies of the rectal mucosa. The relative abundance of aerotolerant bacteria <plane icon>, particularly members of the Proteobacteria and Actinobacteria phyla, were enriched in the mucosa compared with fecal samples, again suggesting that O2 is shaping this region of the gut microbiota."

"The mammalian intestinal tract has traditionally been considered to be an anoxic environment that harbors an array of obligately and facultatively anaerobic bacteria, but potential roles of O2 in this ecosystem are being reexamined. We know that the capacity to harvest the low levels of O2 found in these environments, which is conferred by cytochrome oxidases with a high-affinity for O2, are encoded in phylogenetically diverse microbes.[12] Furthermore, an estimated 30% of the microbes from the mammalian GI tract were found to have the metabolic potential to use low, even nanomolar concentrations of O2.[12]"
Further, studies in vitro with an antioxidant cocktail containing vitamin C facilitated the successful culturing of anaerobic protozoa in association with decreasing the oxidation-reduction potential (i.e. more reduced environment) and increasing acetate, a short chain fatty acid that is an important energy source for these microorganisms [97]. We therefore posit that greater vitamin C intakes can directly attenuate metabolic endotoxemia in MetS by improving gut barrier function, as well as improving microbial diversity and function.
@Makrosky - Should have bolded that part.

Makrosky

Vitamin C Is An Endotoxin Antagonist And Can Reduce Cortisol And Inflammation

On suffocating tissues..

[86] A Little O2 May Go a Long Way in Structuring the GI Microbiome

"In agreement with previous measurements in the cecum,[11] luminal concentrations of O2 were approximately 40 mmHg. That concentration increased after inhalation of pure O2, reflecting diffusion of O2 from the tissue into the cecum lumen. Based on the compilation of O2 concentrations throughout experimental manipulations, the authors conclude that there is a steep, radial gradient of O2 in the intestines (Figure 1). O2 diffusing into the lumen is consumed by mucosal-associated microbes resulting in extremely low concentrations of O2 in the intestinal lumen (<1 mmHg). The microbiota in the mucosa are clearly important to the health of the host, and until now we know little about this community of microbes and how it is structured by the chemical features of the environment. Albenberg et al showed that mucosa-associated bacteria are not static under physiologic conditions and are highly influenced by the O2 tension in mucosa layer. The dynamic shifts in the microbiome in turn may affect the functional status of the mucosal layer contributing to mucosal homeostasis or pathology."

"To examine the potential for O2 to shape the composition of the gut microbiome, mice were exposed to hyperbaric oxygen therapy. After 9 days of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, tissue oxygenation increased 5-fold and the microbial community surveyed in fecal samples also shifted in composition. These finding were extended to the human microbiome through molecular surveys of microbial communities generated from biopsies of the rectal mucosa. The relative abundance of aerotolerant bacteria <plane icon>, particularly members of the Proteobacteria and Actinobacteria phyla, were enriched in the mucosa compared with fecal samples, again suggesting that O2 is shaping this region of the gut microbiota."

"The mammalian intestinal tract has traditionally been considered to be an anoxic environment that harbors an array of obligately and facultatively anaerobic bacteria, but potential roles of O2 in this ecosystem are being reexamined. We know that the capacity to harvest the low levels of O2 found in these environments, which is conferred by cytochrome oxidases with a high-affinity for O2, are encoded in phylogenetically diverse microbes.[12] Furthermore, an estimated 30% of the microbes from the mammalian GI tract were found to have the metabolic potential to use low, even nanomolar concentrations of O2.[12]"
@Makrosky - Should have bolded that part.
Oracle,

Thanks for pointing this out. As I understand it, the O2 part is quite antipeat? Everything he advises seems to go to hypooxigenation by increasing Co2. Bag breathing, high altitude, etc...

baccheion

Fix any nutrient deficiencies. When vitamin D is sufficiently high, the body senses the balance of intestinal flora and releases antimicrobial peptides as necessary. Probiotics can help overwhelm/out-number less desirable strains until balance is restored.

Before following any other advice, I'd recommend testing to identify/verify issues. A comprehensive hormone panel, thyroid panel, NutrEval (or equivalent), microbiome testing as you suspect gut problems, and maybe even genetic testing. No need to guess too much unless unable to afford lab work.

LeeLemonoil

12 Stunning Zeolite Benefits + Uses, Reviews & Side Effects - SelfHacked

3) Gut Health

“Leaky gut” means that toxins, microbes, and inflammatory molecules can leak from the gut into the bloodstream. This may cause fatigue, autoimmune diseases, depression, and more [46].

In a clinical trial of 52 endurance athletes, zeolite (1.85 g daily for 12 weeks) tightened the intestinal wall and prevented leaking. It also had a mild anti-inflammatory effect on the gut [47].

In mice with ulcerative colitis, a type of IBD, clinoptilolite was able to repair gut damage. It proved equally effective as a standard IBD drug (5-aminosalicylic acid). Tests verified that mice didn’t absorb zeolite particles into the bloodstream [48].

Zeolite showed similar action in a study on pigs with gut inflammation [49].

The buildup of urea, ammonia, and gases in the gut may lead to ulcerative colitis, IBS, and even colon cancer. High levels of urea in the blood (uremia) can be life-threatening. Zeolite binds both urea and ammonia, potentially offering protection against these gut toxins [50, 51, 52, 53, 54].

According to limited clinical evidence, zeolite may be helpful in cases of “leaky gut.”
4) Gut Microbiome
The positive impact of zeolite on gut bacteria contributes to the above benefits but also helps relieve diarrhea and improves overall health.

Cuban doctors have developed a drug for diarrhea (Enterex) made of clinoptilolite. They proved its safety and efficacy in 4 clinical trials and additional cell experiments. The ability of clinoptilolite to restore healthy gut flora played a crucial role in this effect [55].

When added to chicken feed, zeolite cut the number of harmful bacteria in their gut without disturbing the good bacteria. Chicken infected with Salmonella, a major cause of food poisonings, recovered faster and suffered less oxidative damage [56, 11, 57].

Another natural zeolite, chabazite, showed similar action in dogs. It even raised the number of probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains while fighting intestinal pathogens [10].

In cell studies, zeolite inhibited the growth of 2 viral strains (coxsackievirus and echovirus) that invade us through the gut [58].

Zeolite may promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria and viruses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals