What Rules Do You Break?

Birdie

For me, it's more a case of drifting into things. I've been eating more tortilla chips and white rice and (brown)rice crackers. I feel fine, maybe better without them, but no prep is required, so...

My husband is eating white bread. We can't get a good sourdough here, so plain white evolved. He's getting colon feedback, so maybe the bread will go sometime. He also eats tuna and non-rennet cheese.

I eat more ground beef and chicken than Peat does, but my attitude is "choose from the menu". I do what's comfortable and Ray doesn't overhaul people's diets, just gives advice as asked for.

@jamies33 I remember that Ray said chewing gum is good for stimulating digestion. I tried it for a while but cannot stop and chew the whole package so it doesn't work too well on me.

Peater Piper

I eat starch. I've been unable to make a mostly fruit diet work for me. I am eating a lot of fruit currently, though. Gotta get it while it's in season. I also eat a small salad with raw, dark leafy greens most nights (a small amount of olive oil with fresh pineapple and pineapple juice makes a wonderful dressing). I probably eat a little too much meat and phosphorous. Only moderate to low dairy consumption, my digestion seems better without a lot of dairy.

PUFA remains low, carbs remain high, lowish total fat.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Me and @Nicole W. on team starch! Except I am a white rice fan, not bread.

Haha @cyclops

oh and arnold grape I also sneak out back for cigarettes and sriracha! But not those two at the same time though!
I'm on team starch too and just quit smoking (again) a couple months ago. I had picked it back up for about a year when I was working nights. :cigar:

Lowdose69

Lots of white rice. I'm 6'5 261lbs 10% bf. I'm afraid of losing lean mass or strength if I try to cut out the starch but that may be a worthwhile experiment.

sunraiser

Prepare to throw me overboard...

I use full fat raw milk.

I eat salmon, mackerel and avocado pretty much weekly.

I eat whole grain rye sourdough (schneiderbrot).

I eat organic weetabix wholegrain.

I cook with olive oil.

I eat dressing with rapeseed oil sometimes, also fish fingers (haddock) sometimes.

I eat romaine lettuce.

I eat lean chicken breast once or twice a week.

I eat streaky bacon about once a week.

I don't use caffeine at all.

I exercise when I'm not too exhausted.

Occasionally eat takeaway Indian food.

I eat every kind of starch you can think of.

I'm sure there are more but that's all I've got from the top of my head.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just had some beans and they were delicious. I'll probably have more tomorrow.
We have fresh sweet corn that we grew in our garden so I'll be eating that frequently until it's gone.

dreamcatcher

The diet I follwed for most of my life consisted of low carb, no meat and no sugar;while drinking water only. The Peaty McDonald's diet has really improved my health, especially my face. I like the results even though I gained 30lbs.
Maybe I should fatten myself up like that too :kiss:

Jennifer

I eat a fruitarian diet so that pretty much says it all but...

I would trade one of my organs for an avocado or some ripe olives, get covered in a poison ivy like rash and be mistaken for an Oompa Loompa just for an outstanding crop of Ataulfo mangoes, and have my intestines removed before resorting to antibiotics ever again. I don't have PubMed bookmarked or a running tab with an online Mexican pharmacy, Cronometer filed an abduction report on me, and I still haven't figured out where I get my protein. However, Ray strikes me as a man rebelling against the system so maybe I'm the most "Peaty" of them all. *creepy laugh*

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I would trade one of my organs for an avocado or some ripe olives, get covered in a poison ivy like rash and be mistaken for an Oompa Loompa just for an outstanding crop of Ataulfo mangoes, and have my intestines removed before resorting to antibiotics ever again. I don't have PubMed bookmarked or a running tab with an online Mexican pharmacy, Cronometer filed an abduction report on me, and I still haven't figured out where I get my protein. However, Ray strikes me as a man rebelling against the system so maybe I'm the most "Peaty" of them all. *creepy laugh*
This is the best! :clap:

DavidGardner

Lots of starch and veggies. Most of my calories from 5 - 9 pm. I sometimes smoke cigars. And I don't care about guar gum or carob bean gum. They have never bothered me at all, unlike carrageenan and cellulose gum I think. My dirtiest secret--from a Peat or a normal person health perspective-- I sometimes eat a quart and a half of Dreyer's slow-churned in a sitting.

The one non-negotiable part of the Peat paradigm I think is PUFA. I would even add a minor caveat to this, however, because I have noticed some cognitive improvements lately from supplementing a gram of krill oil once or twice a week.

Travis

Interested to find out what Peat rules people hear break that they find works of them health wise.
Look forward to responses.

Sobieski
Homogenized cow's milk: A risk factor for anti-FRα antibody formation. I interpret some relevant historical and contemporaneous scientific research as strongly-implying that the liposomal encapsulation of milk proteins via homogenization would protect them from pepsin proteolysis and substantially increase their absorption in a longer form, and hence a more immunogenic one. The persorption of entire liposome-encapsulated bovine FRα is not unimaginable, especially when considering the epidemiological prevalence of anti-FRα antibodies in the Irish. Anti-FRα blocks brain folate uptake.

OP
S

Sobieski

What led you to a Fruitarian approach out of interest?

Herbie

A few rules only elite Peaters are in know of..

Be a counter culture rebel who lives off of donations and works with the highest of ethics or charges people based on percentage of income.

Paint naked women on a regular basis, ones who use progesterone.

A male Peater is androgenic enough that by giving a lady his cardigan it will bring about her menses.

Be hot enough that the government flexes its muscles around you.

Lizb

For me, it's more a case of drifting into things. I've been eating more tortilla chips and white rice and (brown)rice crackers. I feel fine, maybe better without them, but no prep is required, so...

My husband is eating white bread. We can't get a good sourdough here, so plain white evolved. He's getting colon feedback, so maybe the bread will go sometime. He also eats tuna and non-rennet cheese.

I eat more ground beef and chicken than Peat does, but my attitude is "choose from the menu". I do what's comfortable and Ray doesn't overhaul people's diets, just gives advice as asked for.

@jamies33 I remember that Ray said chewing gum is good for stimulating digestion. I tried it for a while but cannot stop and chew the whole package so it doesn't work too well on me.
S0 it's just the chewing that is good for digestion because the enzymes that are produced in the mouth are for digestive purposes. My question is, is Ray's view that for example eating salad is bad for you, based on chemical analysis of the food, negated by the chewing and enzyme production?

dreamcatcher

@Jennifer I hope it works well for you, which is the most important. I don't think it's what Ray Peat would recommend though. There was a 2 months period when I didn't eat dairy products ( now I do) and Ray Peat asked me if there was any dairy product I could digest better and incorporate; encouraging me to consume it. When I asked him what I should eat on a daily basis, his reply was: 2 litres of milk, fruits, some cheese, liver and seafood occasionally.
At another time he asked if I ate oysters, shrimp, crab, or calimari, regularly..he also recommended leaves for magnesium.

There were times when I was less strict (~80%) following his guidelines, now I follow most what he recommends.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

S0 it's just the chewing that is good for digestion because the enzymes that are produced in the mouth are for digestive purposes. My question is, is Ray's view that for example eating salad is bad for you, based on chemical analysis of the food, negated by the chewing and enzyme production?
I've just listened to an interview with Ray Peat, he particularly talked about the negative effects of salad, increasing serotonin.

biffbelvin

This should probably be clarified as 'ray peat forum rules'. From his writing, Ray does not seem particularly dogmatic and there are only a few 'rules' that stand out to me such as limiting PUFA consumption as much as possible.

All that being said I;
  • eat starch because I struggle to consume adequate calories whilst keeping calories from fat around 20%
  • avoid milk. Does not agree with me in any form.
  • don't supplement calcium because it invokes a stress response (cold hands, Vasoconstriction, lethargy, cold sweat etc).
  • ignore the calcium:phosphorus ratio because of the above (and I can't palate eating 500 grams of green vegetables every day)
  • Binge Drink and smoke 20 cigs once every 2-3 weeks because I'm English and this is necessary as an adult to maintain citizenship.