What Is The Best Type Of Flour If One Has To Use It?

Gametime

hi all. I know flours are not optimal at all but I would only use it in small amounts to thicken gravy once a week or maybe add to other things. Wondering what the most optimal flour would be? At the moment I'm leaning towards spelt flour. (Rice flour is not option for me, think I OD'd on that when I was eating rice flour pasta everyday lol)

Thanks!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use tapioca flour when needed.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Organic white flour without added iron
I really need to give that a try. Someone on the forum suggested that the added iron is what gives a lot of people issues. Would be a great experiment to see if the non-iron fortified flour makes a difference for me.

Organic in the US is the only kind that doesn’t always have iron. King Arthur has added iron. Organic versions of Whole Foods and Bobs Red Mill does not.​

Zpol

I use Arrowroot (Bob's red mill) for gravy and thickening. Works like a charm.

noordinary

I use Organic Masa Harina (Bob’s Red Mill brand) for pizza dough and pancakes (Billy Craig recipe).

tara

I use unfortified plain white wheat flour to make slow-leavened bread sometimes, but if I'm wanting to avoid wheat, corn and gluten to thicken custards, gravies or fruit dishes, I use tapioca starch, potato starch or rice flour. I think arrowroot probably also works similarly. You might be able to use masa harina (nixtamalised corn) in a gravy too, I imagine.

Jennifer

Back when I was still consuming grains, I preferred them sprouted. I used mostly sprouted spelt flour. I made a lot of yummy crêpes with it!

Ray said this in the Digestion and Emotion Herb Doctor interview:

"All seeds, as far as I know, have some toxic effects. Many of them are built in by the plant to protect their offspring. And once the sprouting has begun, the seed detoxifies those intrinsic chemicals, especially if it's very well cooked, and then it becomes nutritious." RP

At my house we use the brands To Your Health and One Degree Organics. Not sure if you're located in the US, but TYH has $1 shipping until the end of December:

https://healthyflour.com

tara