What Can I Do About My Gambling Addiction?

ddjd

Would a gambling addiction be related to low dopamine?

I have a real recurring gambling addiction problem and I need help.

Is bromocriptine a good idea maybe @haidut?

EIRE24

I think the habit of gambling or whatever the addiction is needs to be replaced with more positive things. Find something that takes all of your attention and time and fills the void that gambling fills for you. If that makes sense?

Peatful

Yes, possible low dopamine.
Imbalance overall.

I would start with the basics if u have not already...
Basics of: 1)gut and liver health 2)enough easy to digest nutrient rich calories 3)plenty of sun 4)good sleep and good sleep hygiene 5)blood sugar stability
You need good mitochondrial respiration, a strong metabolism from a physiological perspective.
You also need emotional support.
I, for one, have much respect for those who know their demons and address them.
You CAN overcome this.
And I can't overstate the importance of a good metabolism and balanced blood sugar.
Godspeed.

Sadcaptain

My gambling addiction was at its worst when low carbing. Since quitting exercise and sorting out my diet the urge just hasn’t been there. Admittedly it’s early days..

EIRE24

Imbalance overall.

Basics of: 1)gut and liver health 2)enough easy to digest nutrient rich calories 3)plenty of sun 4)good sleep and good sleep hygiene 5)blood sugar stability
You need good mitochondrial respiration, a strong metabolism from a physiological perspective.
You CAN overcome this.
And I can't overstate the importance of a good metabolism and balanced blood sugar.
Godspeed.
What would you class as good sleep hygiene?

Peatful

What would you class as good sleep hygiene?
My opinion, not researched based...
1. Sunlight during day
2. No alcohol
3. Balanced snack before bed. Say a milkshake with collagen and a pinch of salt.
4. No blue light
5. No TV news
6. Cool room
7. Tidy bedroom. Limit clutter.
8. No hard to digest foods. Decrease endotoxin.
9. Regular sleep schedule.
10. Regular destress sleep routine.
11. Dont hang out in bed...meaning bed is for sleep, not recreation...aside from sex.
12. No Wi-Fi router in bedroom?

Would like to hear of any others...

evo21

From my experience, a healthy metabolism keeps cravings at bay. But it doesn't eliminate the addictions. When anxiety strikes, they are back with a vengeance. For that, i found meditation to help. I had (and still have) some unresolved emotional issues and think that's the root cause of addictions. The combination of a good functioning metabolism and meditation will help bring those issues to the surface but one has to be willing to suffer and let it all out.

lampofred

Bromocriptine is the worst thing you can take in this situation. Your issue will get worse if you take it.

Frankdee20

I think the habit of gambling or whatever the addiction is needs to be replaced with more positive things. Find something that takes all of your attention and time and fills the void that gambling fills for you. If that makes sense?

And that also pays 3-1

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Imbalance overall.

You CAN overcome this.
Godspeed.
Thanks for your comment peatful. Much appreciated

I'll almost certainly be in the minority on this but I don't see "gambling addiction" as an addiction; it seems to be more a lack of understanding of how probability and statistics affect real world outcomes.

I recommend reading about probability theory, expected payoffs, the difference between positive expectation and negative expectation, etc. rather than doing a 12-step program. This should get to the root of the problem by eliminating your desire to partake in -EV games, which are the types of games that will cost you money in the long run (and thus cause you to label yourself a gambling addict).

Last edited:

Waynish

Teach yourself. Start gambling in new ways. Give your friends $200 and if they don't see you do what you said, then they won't give it back! Etc... :)

lampofred

Wondering why you say this? Isn't bromocriptine a dopamine agonist?

Dopamine agonists are notorious for causing hypersexuality, pathological gambling, and compulsive shopping. I've read several stories of people with Parkinson's who were conservative and rule-following most of their adult lives who did a complete 180 after starting dopamine agonist treatment for their Parkinson's and gambled away their entire life savings due to a lack of impulse control.

Dopamine increases the pursuit of pleasure, so the more dopamine you have, the more you'll want to gamble.

EDIT: but at the same time, the more dopamine you have in your prefrontal cortex, the better you'll be able to control these impulses. So high dopamine in brainstem = hypersexuality, pathological gambling, but high dopamine in pfc = good impulse control... this is all so confusing. our brains can't be reduced to just chemicals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals