Vitamin K2 Allergic Reaction. Help

Uncaged

I just started taking Thorne K2, orally. For the first two days I took 45mg, divided into 3 doses. I began to notice dizziness upon waking, skin burning feeling and shallow rapid pulse, along with some dull pain around the heart. So I cut the dose to 30mg. As of today I woke up with swollen itchy/numb lips, face and ears are beet red, peeling and burning, and throat, inside of mouth and tongue have sores that are itching and bleeding with throat swelling closed a bit.

Has anyone ever witnessed this with Vitamin K? I took Estroban previously, which contains K2, and never had an issue.

So far today I've taken 2 benadryl, and symptoms have improved, not by much. But I've noticed a throbbing sensation from my inner ears now.

@haidut

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Side effects of oral or parenteral route vitamin K from mayoclinic.org

Less common
  1. Decreased appetite
  2. decreased movement or activity
  3. difficulty in breathing
  4. enlarged liver
  5. general body swelling
  6. irritability
  7. muscle stiffness
  8. paleness
  9. yellow eyes or skin
Rare
  1. Difficulty in swallowing
  2. fast or irregular breathing
  3. lightheadedness or fainting
  4. shortness of breath
  5. skin rash, hives and/or itching
  6. swelling of eyelids, face, or lips
  7. tightness in chest
  8. troubled breathing and/or wheezing
Rare
  1. Blue color or flushing or redness of skin
  2. dizziness
  3. fast and/or weak heartbeat
  4. increased sweating
  5. low blood pressure (temporary)
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

Less common
  1. Flushing of face
  2. redness, pain, or swelling at place of injection
  3. skin lesions at place of injection (rare)
  4. unusual taste

OP
U

Uncaged

Side effects of oral or parenteral route vitamin K from mayoclinic.org

Less common
  1. Decreased appetite
  2. decreased movement or activity
  3. difficulty in breathing
  4. enlarged liver
  5. general body swelling
  6. irritability
  7. muscle stiffness
  8. paleness
  9. yellow eyes or skin
Rare
  1. Difficulty in swallowing
  2. fast or irregular breathing
  3. lightheadedness or fainting
  4. shortness of breath
  5. skin rash, hives and/or itching
  6. swelling of eyelids, face, or lips
  7. tightness in chest
  8. troubled breathing and/or wheezing
Rare
  1. Blue color or flushing or redness of skin
  2. dizziness
  3. fast and/or weak heartbeat
  4. increased sweating
  5. low blood pressure (temporary)
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

Less common
  1. Flushing of face
  2. redness, pain, or swelling at place of injection
  3. skin lesions at place of injection (rare)
  4. unusual taste

Thanks for posting, @Blossom. I suppose I should have checked Mayo Clinic, as all the resources I read didn't speak of any upper limit or side effects, only praise for all the benefits.

At first I thought the reaction was the cocoa butter I recently began using on my face. But the mouth sores and swelling throat quickly cleared that up.

I also take 325mg of aspirin, daily. I didn't take the K2 or aspirin today and ended up with two severe nosebleeds.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I just started taking Thorne K2, orally. For the first two days I took 45mg, divided into 3 doses. I began to notice dizziness upon waking, skin burning feeling and shallow rapid pulse, along with some dull pain around the heart. So I cut the dose to 30mg. As of today I woke up with swollen itchy/numb lips, face and ears are beet red, peeling and burning, and throat, inside of mouth and tongue have sores that are itching and bleeding with throat swelling closed a bit.

Has anyone ever witnessed this with Vitamin K? I took Estroban previously, which contains K2, and never had an issue.

So far today I've taken 2 benadryl, and symptoms have improved, not by much. But I've noticed a throbbing sensation from my inner ears now.

@haidut

Well, since our products did not give you this issue I am not sure what I can contribute other than saying it may be an issue with some unlisted excipient in the Thorne product or related to dosage.

OP
U

Uncaged

Well, since our products did not give you this issue I am not sure what I can contribute other than saying it may be an issue with some unlisted excipient in the Thorne product or related to dosage.

I'm actually wondering if I purchase Kuinone, is there a way to test for an allergic reaction before I take it orally, so I don't have to deal with this extreme reaction again? Would a skin application show such a reaction? I don't want to give up on Vitamin K2, since there are so many health benefits to be had. @haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm actually wondering if I purchase Kuinone, is there a way to test for an allergic reaction before I take it orally, so I don't have to deal with this extreme reaction again? Would a skin application show such a reaction? I don't want to give up on Vitamin K2, since there are so many health benefits to be had. @haidut

Skin test could work, especially if the skin has a scratch on it. That's the test they do in the hospital - scratch your arm with a needle and apply the anesthetic before putting you under.