Vitamin K Science Writeup

Hey guys!

I've talked to Haidut, and he recommended I share this blog post here.

I've basically done a write-up on vitamin K - especially vitamin K2 MK4 - while integrating about 120 scientific references.

I hope this might help some people here, because I've attempted to keep my language as plain and simple as possible:

Vitamin K: Why You're Deficient (And What To Do About It)

If after reading you're wondering why I do not recommend Haidut's specific MK4 product? I think in it's current state, the product is harder to market to a larger audience. However, having said that, Haidut's product is absolutely amazing in terms of quality. The sad thing is that most of the general population cannot see beyond how a bottle looks on the outside...

Enjoy!

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
Edit: hey guys and girls ;)

yerrag

Thanks for sharing what you wrote, and I appreciate your writing style and page layout. It has a good flow to it such that it keeps me at a good pace and I don't feel like rushing to finish reading. And most of all, I understand much more about vitamin k2 and its significance and its co-factoring (for lack of a better word) relationship with the other fat soluble vitamins A, D, and E.

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
Thanks Yerrag! You understood well.

Haidut also stresses this: In principle, the fat-soluble vitamins work together. That's why they are paired up in Estroban, for example.

If you take very high doses, then the story changes. High doses of E and K, can compete, for example.

And yes, I try to write my articles in such a way, so that the content is much more accessible to many people!

Thanks for your support. Really appreciate it!

Regarding supplement guidelines, why do recommend such a high dose of k2, 2mg/day? I'd say 1mg/day is more than enough for most people.

What do you think on uvb narrowband for vitD instead syntethic supps when on winter and high latitudes and theres barely no vitD from sun?

Good blog overall by the way.

Last edited:
OP
KalosKaiAgathos
Thanks! 1mg is the minimal dose with Thorne (1 drop). Moreover, I wanted to let people take 1 drop with each meal, to ensure proper K2 levels.

Seeing that some diseases have a minimal requirement of 500mcg or somewhat higher, I thought 1mg might not ALWAYS be enough...

Much more research is needed, however. I suspect that certain foods might create higher blood levels with lower dosages, because otherwise, people would have always had very low K2 levels before civilization. Which is not the case.

The people Weston A. Price observed, seemed to have very good K2 levels, without 2mg or 45mg (in some studies) intakes...

Vinero

Nice article. It would probably be better to get fat-soluble vitamins such as K2-mk4 from grass fed beef, dairy and eggs.
Unfortunately I don't trust the quality of the food where I live. So I just end up buying the regular meat, milk and eggs available at the supermarket.
This means I rely mostly on supplementation to get my fat-solubles.
I take estroban orally, and also take vitamin A, D, and K topically from time to time.

I always take something like 5 mgs of vitamin K2, as I have the feeling 1 mg is too little to make a difference.
Since K2-mk4 is virtually non-toxic in any dose, taking a slightly bigger dose might give more benefits than just taking 1 mg.

Nice article. It would probably be better to get fat-soluble vitamins such as K2-mk4 from grass fed beef, dairy and eggs.
Unfortunately I don't trust the quality of the food where I live. So I just end up buying the regular meat, milk and eggs available at the supermarket.

You don't trust your farmers grass-fed livestock, but do trust regular animal food from supermarket?? you can be sure thats 110% crap from miserable raised animals for the mainstream ignorant population.

With the farmer, you´ll have a high chance at least for him to be honest.

Vinero

You don't trust your farmers grass-fed livestock, but do trust regular animal food from supermarket?? you can be sure thats 110% crap from miserable raised animals for the mainstream ignorant population.

With the farmer, you´ll have a high chance at least for him to be honest.
I know it's bad quality and lacking in vitamins, that's why I use supplements.

paymanz

Nobody here eats pork fat I hope.
Unless you like PUFA.
Yes i dont eat either,lol

I dont eat pork at all.

But thats good info , because if pork fat is rich source of vitamin k i cant see why beef or lamb fat shouldn't be a better source , especially as they are ruminant animals with lots of fermentation in their bodies.

Vinero

Yes i dont eat either,lol

I dont eat pork at all.

But thats good info , because if pork fat is rich source of vitamin k i cant see why beef or lamb fat shouldn't be a better source , especially as they are ruminant animals with lots of fermentation in their bodies.
Pork is also frequently listed as a good source of vitamin B1, but I don't think meat from beef or chicken is also rich in B1.
Maybe vitamin K is different though, and does accumulate in the fat of other animals as well.

Obi-wan

I take 10 drops of Kuinone daily transdermal for bone and teeth support. Yes Vit. K2 was the x factor that Weston Price discovered. Somehow he thought that mixed with cod liver oil was a great combo (raw butter). Per @haidut your body will take all the K2 that you give it

yerrag

Thanks Yerrag! You understood well.

Haidut also stresses this: In principle, the fat-soluble vitamins work together. That's why they are paired up in Estroban, for example.

If you take very high doses, then the story changes. High doses of E and K, can compete, for example.

And yes, I try to write my articles in such a way, so that the content is much more accessible to many people!

Thanks for your support. Really appreciate it!
You're very welcome!

I don't know whether to feel down or be cheerful about this, but since I don't take K2 supplementation, it made me realize that the only k2 I take through food (with confidence) is goat liver. I eat about 200g weekly. The reason I eat goat liver and not any other is because I believe goats won't eat anything other than grass. They're stubborn that way, although they have been know to eat people's shirts hanging to dry. Would you by any chance know how much k2 I'm getting?

sladerunner69

Thanks! 1mg is the minimal dose with Thorne (1 drop). Moreover, I wanted to let people take 1 drop with each meal, to ensure proper K2 levels.

Seeing that some diseases have a minimal requirement of 500mcg or somewhat higher, I thought 1mg might not ALWAYS be enough...

Much more research is needed, however. I suspect that certain foods might create higher blood levels with lower dosages, because otherwise, people would have always had very low K2 levels before civilization. Which is not the case.

The people Weston A. Price observed, seemed to have very good K2 levels, without 2mg or 45mg (in some studies) intakes...

What about the people who take 5 mg k2 per day and begin to steadily develop a noticeably wider face? I think I have noticed this from k2, and freaked out and promptly stopped taking it. Aesthetically I do not want a wider face, mine is already on the wide and round side. Have you run across any research regarding k2 and bone growth, particularly facial bone structure?

Mito

it made me realize that the only k2 I take through food (with confidence) is goat liver. I eat about 200g weekly. The reason I eat goat liver and not any other is because I believe goats won't eat anything other than grass. They're stubborn that way, although they have been know to eat people's shirts hanging to dry. Would you by any chance know how much k2 I'm getting?
At the end of this article, there is a vitamin K food database. It has a few different types of liver but not goat. https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

schultz

you can be sure thats 110% crap from miserable raised animals for the mainstream ignorant population.

I don't know how it is in the States, but in Canada smaller farms produce milk and then sell it to companies who pool the milk from many farms together to make a commercial milk product. Saying it's 110% crap would really depend on the farm. A lot of these farmers will let their cows on pasture even. There is a farm down the street from me that does this.

There is one interesting study showing high level of k in pork fat.

I wonder if some pig feeds have Menadione in it. I have an "electrolyte" (that's what it's called for some reason) supplement for my pig which is basically a multi-vitamin that you put in the water. It has vitamin K3 in it, which gets converted to K2 in the body.

The reason I eat goat liver and not any other is because I believe goats won't eat anything other than grass.

My goats go absolutely insane for corn. If a goat finds a bucket of corn they will eat so much that they can die from it. Goats like legumes as well like alfalfa and clover, not just grass. Goats seem to especially like leaves (they ate all of my bushes, cedar trees, as many maple leaves as they could reach). If I throw my christmas tree in their pen they strip that thing entirely, including the bark. Goats are very picky about eating grass/hay/water contaminated with feces. They are known as hay wasters because once the hay falls on the ground they tend not to eat it. Goats are browsers, like deer, and they will walk around the pasture looking for specific things. Cows on the other hand are grazers and will basically mow the lawn, eating almost everything. Goats do get into trouble though, and I could see them stealing a shirt lol. They like to nibble on things. They can be a real pain in the **** sometimes. After they ate all the low maple leaves in my yard they decided to jump on my car, which was parked under the tree, to reach more leaves. My car has seen better days now... I do have them fenced in a paddock but they find ways to escape and the one girl can just jump the 4 foot fence without even trying.

Obi-wan

I go to a farm and pet the goats then leave. My car is very nice...I have watched them eat Christmas trees