Vegetarianism And Peating

CDT

Just curious, but is there a way to remain lacto ovo vegetarian and still follow a nearly peatitarian diet?

I consume a lot of soaked legumes and was wondering what component of legumes are bad for an individual. I'm looking to simplify the diet, but as a vegetarian variety is key. Any advice would be highly appreciated! Best wishes to all.

Runenight201

I think legumes are fine to the extent that you notice positive and not negative effects from them. I usually let appetitive dictate my legume consumption, and it’s usually not more than a cup or two a day. Prepared and cooked properly, I think they are healthy and they definitely improve the quality and frequency of bowel movements. So I view them in a positive light. That canned stuff tastes awful tho =P

There’s arguments for lacto ovo vegetarian being healthier than a meat inclusive diet, as ray has stated multiple times the negative effects of the amino acids leucine, cysteine, and methionine found in high concentrations of meat. I’ve also noticed that most meats make me feel bad and inflamed, but fish and chicken drumsticks are fine.

I’ve been on and off meat so many times now, and each time I switch, I’m sure I’ve made the right choice, only to not be so certain again. I’m back off of it again, mainly because I like much more the energy I get from a high carb diet devoid of meat.

Failing to include cheese/eggs/milk in any capacity would be a mistake tho imo, unless you were to supplement like crazy and drink lots of potato protein, which doesn’t sound appealing to me.

Imo eat whatever makes you feel best, look best, and operate best. They usually are all correlated with good health.

I think even a vegan "Peat diet" is possible. I've been eating vegan a lot lately cause it's so cheap. Lots of potatoes, white rice, white bread, lots of cheap frozen broccoli well-cooked, coffee, coconut oil, vit D & B12 supplements. I feel great!

Runenight201

@damngoodcoffee dude try out yucca. I’m finding it to taste superior to the potato. The potato is too rough and sandy in comparison to the smooth and slippery yucca.

I’ve been making a yucca stew with carrots, spinach, cilantro, onions, and celery (I add chicken drumsticks and chicken stock for flavoring, but you could do vegetable stock), and this stuff is FUEGO.

It brings me so much nourishment. In contrast to the post I just made, I had a chicken drum stick along with the gelatin naturally found in my soup from cooking with the chicken bone, and I feel really great from it. Ate the soup along side some jarritos strawberry soda (the best soda imo).

So idk what I know, every time I make a decision, my cravings and appetite pull me in a different direction. I’m as unpredictable as current running through a volatile stream on a stormy day.

danielbb

I think legumes are fine to the extent that you notice positive and not negative effects from them. I usually let appetitive dictate my legume consumption, and it’s usually not more than a cup or two a day. Prepared and cooked properly, I think they are healthy and they definitely improve the quality and frequency of bowel movements. So I view them in a positive light. That canned stuff tastes awful tho =P

There’s arguments for lacto ovo vegetarian being healthier than a meat inclusive diet, as ray has stated multiple times the negative effects of the amino acids leucine, cysteine, and methionine found in high concentrations of meat. I’ve also noticed that most meats make me feel bad and inflamed, but fish and chicken drumsticks are fine.

I’ve been on and off meat so many times now, and each time I switch, I’m sure I’ve made the right choice, only to not be so certain again. I’m back off of it again, mainly because I like much more the energy I get from a high carb diet devoid of meat.

Failing to include cheese/eggs/milk in any capacity would be a mistake tho imo, unless you were to supplement like crazy and drink lots of potato protein, which doesn’t sound appealing to me.

Imo eat whatever makes you feel best, look best, and operate best. They usually are all correlated with good health.
Excellent post. Thoughtful and reflective. I like the part about testing things and seeing for yourself whether they make you feel better or worse. Whether or not they are inflammatory and whether or not your digestive system works properly. I don't eat legumes anymore mostly due to Ray's writings about phytoestrogen and phosphorous content. I'll probably eat some lima beans for Thanksgiving for no other reason than I love them. I'll probably experiment with some lentils from time to time because their phytoestrogen content is low. Everyone's body is different however. What may work for one may not be the best thing for another. We all have the capacity to figure these things out for ourselves.

Runenight201

Excellent post. Thoughtful and reflective. I like the part about testing things and seeing for yourself whether they make you feel better or worse. Whether or not they are inflammatory and whether or not your digestive system works properly. I don't eat legumes anymore mostly due to Ray's writings about phytoestrogen and phosphorous content. I'll probably eat some lima beans for Thanksgiving for no other reason than I love them. I'll probably experiment with some lentils from time to time because their phytoestrogen content is low. Everyone's body is different however. What may work for one may not be the best thing for another. We all have the capacity to figure these things out for ourselves.

Yes and the thing is, when we look at foods in isolation, we may rationalize whether they're bad or good, but I think it's important to look at them in the context of the whole diet. How food combines definitely influences how the nutrients/anti-nutrients are digested and expressed in the body. It can all get very complicated, and I don't have a degree in biochemistry nor does my interest take me in that direction, so I must rely on more practical methods to determine whether a food is good/bad, but fortunately I have found that appetite and observing key markers about health such as hair,skin, nails, eyes, tongue, digestion, mental clarity, mood, energy, muscle strength, fat, bloat, etc... to be all very accurate indicators of how things are progressing and whether certain foods work or don't work. I always start with what my appetite and cravings tell me though, and then proceed from there.

With lentils/beans, I have found that preparing them in a traditional Mexican cuisine is delicious. I like them nice and soupy, with the soup flavored with cilantro, onions, tomatoes, salt, and garlic, combined with rice and some type of fruit juice/soda. I usually feel very, very good after a meal like that, mental cognition and energy uptick very sharply, but I've learned that i have to sustain it soon after with milk/fruit or I'll have an energy crash, which I think is attributable to the fact that i can only get in 400-500 calories of rice/beans before my digestion gets taxed with that food, and so I have to switch to another energy source if I'm going to ingest enough calories to sustain my metabolism.

@Runenight201 I don't think we have that in Finland. I love potatoes though. :):

You northern Europeans are quite the interesting characters... I hear that you like to eat poisonous sharks X.X Ah but you've been eating vegan, so perhaps you may not be as intense lol

If you ever get a chance to try out Yucca, or can be called cassava, manioc, macaxiera, mandioca, aipim, or Brazilian arrowroot, I'd highly recommend it. Especially in a stew with some herbs/vegetables and stock!

Markus

You northern Europeans are quite the interesting characters... I hear that you like to eat poisonous sharks X.X Ah but you've been eating vegan, so perhaps you may not be as intense lol

If you ever get a chance to try out Yucca, or can be called cassava, manioc, macaxiera, mandioca, aipim, or Brazilian arrowroot, I'd highly recommend it. Especially in a stew with some herbs/vegetables and stock!

I live in Sweden and love cassava!

lvysaur

Just curious, but is there a way to remain lacto ovo vegetarian and still follow a nearly peatitarian diet?
A Peat diet is basically a vegetarian diet with occasional offal/shellfish/gelatin. Some people choose to eat more meat.

try out yucca. I’m finding it to taste superior to the potato. The potato is too rough and sandy
You may want to pay attention to the type of potato, and also the timing of consumption. Russets are grainier than reds. And in my experience, a freshly cooked potato is grainier than a microwaved potato.

And actually, it's the grainier potatoes that cause me less gas. When I reheat a red potato in the microwave (usually I do it for over a minute to get rid of resistant starch), it's a lot waxier than one that I consume immediately after 45 minutes of steaming. It also causes more gas.

I'll admit that the waxy smooth texture tastes better.

Last edited:

boris

Yes and the thing is, when we look at foods in isolation, we may rationalize whether they're bad or good, but I think it's important to look at them in the context of the whole diet. How food combines definitely influences how the nutrients/anti-nutrients are digested and expressed in the body. It can all get very complicated, and I don't have a degree in biochemistry nor does my interest take me in that direction, so I must rely on more practical methods to determine whether a food is good/bad, but fortunately I have found that appetite and observing key markers about health such as hair,skin, nails, eyes, tongue, digestion, mental clarity, mood, energy, muscle strength, fat, bloat, etc... to be all very accurate indicators of how things are progressing and whether certain foods work or don't work. I always start with what my appetite and cravings tell me though, and then proceed from there.

With lentils/beans, I have found that preparing them in a traditional Mexican cuisine is delicious. I like them nice and soupy, with the soup flavored with cilantro, onions, tomatoes, salt, and garlic, combined with rice and some type of fruit juice/soda. I usually feel very, very good after a meal like that, mental cognition and energy uptick very sharply, but I've learned that i have to sustain it soon after with milk/fruit or I'll have an energy crash, which I think is attributable to the fact that i can only get in 400-500 calories of rice/beans before my digestion gets taxed with that food, and so I have to switch to another energy source if I'm going to ingest enough calories to sustain my metabolism.

What do you mean by energy crash how would it be caused exactly? Would it make temperature/pulse drop?

Runenight201

What do you mean by energy crash how would it be caused exactly? Would it make temperature/pulse drop?

By energy crash I mean fatigue and lack of motivation. I would assume my pulse and temperature would drop but I don’t pay acute attention to those markers.

Sustainable high energy is very hard to obtain, namely because one needs to eat a lot of calories, but all calories are not created equal, and certain calories or combinations of calories will absolutely ruin the ability to consume more calories!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals