Trehalose

Dan W

I found this interesting:
Ray Peat September Newsletter said:
Trehalose also increases autophagy (Sarkar and Rubinsztein, 2008, Casarejos, et al., 2011, Emanuele, 2014), a process in which aggregated insoluble proteins are eliminated, which has implications for all the degenerative diseases. In mice it can reverse a nervous disorder, ataxia (Chen, et al., 2015). The way it reduces inflammation, lowering nitric oxide and NF -kB (He, et al., 2014, Noh, et al., 2014, Yurkiv, et al., 2015), is probably a result of its stabilization of cell structure.

Although our intestines contain enzymes for turning trehalose into glucose, these are mostly in the lower part of the intestine, allowing some of the trehalose to be absorbed into the blood and into the tissues.

It sounds like good food sources are mushrooms (particularly shiitake, maitake, nameko, and Judas's ear) and shrimp. Judging by the data here, it seems like short (~5 minute) boiling times might make more trehalose available, but that's probably a bad idea with mushrooms.

I think the production of Hayashibara trehalose powder might be ok, with mold/yeast and bacterial production issues being the only possible problems to jump out at me:
http://www.fda.gov/ucm/groups/fdagov-pu ... 261213.pdf

Examine.com suggests that very little (or no) trehalose will reach cells when eaten because of the activity of threhalase. I haven't found any details on that, but maybe a more patient person than me will look through their references. Because I'm vehemently opposed to topical mushroom administration.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

toad.jpg

messtafarian

:) I bought some trehalose powder. It can't get through the gut, it's just sugar in the end. Vitro not Vivo.

tara

Dan Wich said:
post 113013 Because I'm vehemently opposed to topical mushroom administration.
Me too. :)
They taste too good.

Last edited by a moderator:
People also advocate fasting for "removing junk proteins"...

evanjones

If trelhalose is poorly absorbed from the intestines, would it be more effectively absorbed by the colon, if it was administered rectally?

Does this mean that eating mushrooms for their trehalose content is a waste of effort?

The following was taken from a article on trehalose the "examine" website; I am not allowed to post URLs.

" Unfortunately, not only is trehalose initially poorly absorbed from the intestines but within the intestinal wall, there is an enzyme (trehalase) which can rapidly degrade trehalose into glucose. For the trehalose that bypasses this enzyme and gets absorbed, the threhalase present in the liver and the blood appears to finalize the digestion leaving little to no trehalose able to reach a cell and exert its therapeutic effects."

" The only way to preserve the effects of trehalose is to avoid oral ingestion by applying the compound topically leading to the promise of trehalose in protecting cellular function being exclusive to the skin, eyes, and hair. It has already shown therapeutic promise for the treatment of dry eye symptoms when used as eye drops, with a potency greater than commercially available products."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals