Top 3 Hair Loss Supplements

Blue09

Hi guys just interested to see what you're top supplements are in you're current regime that have shown improvement in you're hair whether it be slowing hairloss, looking thicker or even regrowth. I see alot of people use taurine on here which I'm yet to try.

lampofred

High dose coffee, aspirin, Vitamin K cured my hairloss years ago and long-term PUFA depletion has made it so that I don't lose any hair even if I don't take aspirin/drink coffee for several days. I have a full head of hair and don't lose any hairs in the shower when I shampoo, thanks to Dr. Peat.

Avoiding things that raise serotonin/prolactin (excess fat - especially PUFA, hot showers - especially on your head, oversleeping, alcohol, ejaculation) all shift your hormonal balance in the long-run to keep a full head of hair.

I don't know if supplements will really work because hair loss is a very broad, systemic condition of low CO2, excess nitric oxide. Actually, speaking of nitric oxide, methylene blue might also help, since it inhibits NO production.

Motif

High dose coffee, aspirin, Vitamin K cured my hairloss years ago and long-term PUFA depletion has made it so that I don't lose any hair even if I don't take aspirin/drink coffee for several days. I have a full head of hair and don't lose any hairs in the shower when I shampoo, thanks to Dr. Peat.

Avoiding things that raise serotonin/prolactin (excess fat - especially PUFA, hot showers - especially on your head, oversleeping, alcohol, ejaculation) all shift your hormonal balance in the long-run to keep a full head of hair.

I don't know if supplements will really work because hair loss is a very broad, systemic condition of low CO2, excess nitric oxide. Actually, speaking of nitric oxide, methylene blue might also help, since it inhibits NO production.

So you think it was liver related ?

lampofred

So you think it was liver related ?

Liver is the most important organ for detoxing estrogen and keeping progesterone up so I'm sure liver detox from coffee/Vit K was helpful. But I do think the cause is more systemic, for example the gut is probably involved also, since poor gut health will cause extremely elevated estrogen, serotonin, cortisol. And there have been associations between heart health and vertex balding. And Danny Roddy recently posted a video saying hair loss is related to cerebral cortex atrophy. So it's related to everything. And fundamental thing in common between all of these issues is low CO2, low progesterone, too much nitric oxide/estrogen/prolactin/serotonin/cortisol/aka the stress cascade.

YourUniverse

Do you think sugar can be important, too? Maybe #4 of your list, with magnesium #5?

Cirion

The gut is the "one ring to rule them all" in terms of virtually all bodily disorders I now believe so you are on point with that statement. Haidut said that something like 90% of serotonin is formed in the gut after all.

The only thing I disagree with your list is "oversleeping". In fact it is only the days I get lots of sleep (weekends) that I actually feel good and have perfect temps/pulse etc.

OP
B

Blue09

Thanks lampofred loads of good information there. Can I ask which k you use mk4 or mk7? Also by high dose coffee how many cups a day would that be and how much aspirin also? Thanks again

lampofred

Do you think sugar can be important, too? Maybe #4 of your list, with magnesium #5?

Yes sugar is very helpful as well because the fructose (like pregnenolone) turns off the serotonin related reductive stress systems, quiets the adrenals, lowers phosphate (I think this is very important for hair; niacinamide, calcium, vitamin D also lower phosphate whereas estrogen and FFA work in the opposite direction). I don't regularly supplement magnesium so I can't speak about it but in theory it should be helpful because it is closely related to progesterone.

Last edited:

Motif

Liver is the most important organ for detoxing estrogen and keeping progesterone up so I'm sure liver detox from coffee/Vit K was helpful. But I do think the cause is more systemic, for example the gut is probably involved also, since poor gut health will cause extremely elevated estrogen, serotonin, cortisol. And there have been associations between heart health and vertex balding. And Danny Roddy recently posted a video saying hair loss is related to cerebral cortex atrophy. So it's related to everything. And fundamental thing in common between all of these issues is low CO2, low progesterone, too much nitric oxide/estrogen/prolactin/serotonin/cortisol/aka the stress cascade.

Yeah, the Liver is probably my root cause too

lampofred

The gut is the "one ring to rule them all" in terms of virtually all bodily disorders I now believe so you are on point with that statement. Haidut said that something like 90% of serotonin is formed in the gut after all.

The only thing I disagree with your list is "oversleeping". In fact it is only the days I get lots of sleep (weekends) that I actually feel good and have perfect temps/pulse etc.

And the reason the gut gets screwed up in the first place is low blood flow from low CO2 either due to low thyroid or hyperventilation.

And I meant sleeping less in the sense that you use it as a stressor to better your health, like NoFap. In the short run both sleep and ejaculation lower stress hormones (especially nitric oxide) and forcibly sleeping less/not having sex can be painful, but using moderate sleep deprivation as a tool to stabilize at a higher level of waking CO2/GABA will shift your metabolism in a better direction in the long run (the more CO2/GABA you have, the less sleep you need because you are refilling glycogen at a faster rate/using it at a slower rate and thus need less "off-time" for refuelling).

lampofred

Thanks lampofred loads of good information there. Can I ask which k you use mk4 or mk7? Also by high dose coffee how many cups a day would that be and how much aspirin also? Thanks again

I use LifeExtension Super K which has both. I take 2 325 mg tabs of aspirin dissolved in water every day. It helps in many more things than only hair growth. I'm pretty inconsistent about my coffee intake now (fluctuate between 0 and 5 cups a day) but when I was first started drinking coffee for hair, I went pretty crazy because of how much it was helping me so I would drink about 14 cups a day...

Also FYI coffee and aspirin will deplete B6 and raise homocysteine if estrogen is high (which it most likely is if you are experiencing hair loss), but all the B complex vits I've taken in the past always had shady ingredients and have been terrible for my gut. Maybe potatoes would be a good source of B6 if you need it.

Cirion

And I meant sleeping less in the sense that you use it as a stressor to better your health, like NoFap. In the short run both sleep and ejaculation lower stress hormones (especially nitric oxide) and forcibly sleeping less/not having sex can be painful, but using moderate sleep deprivation as a tool to stabilize at a higher level of waking CO2/GABA will shift your metabolism in a better direction in the long run (the more CO2/GABA you have, the less sleep you need because you are refilling glycogen at a faster rate/using it at a slower rate and thus need less "off-time" for refuelling).

Except nofap is not a stressor and sleep deprivation is... if sleep deprivation is so great, how come going a week makes me feel progressively worse and worse (and worsening and worsening waking temps to prove the point) and worse until the weekend and I finally get relief (sleep)? Low waking temps clearly correlate with low waking CO2... There is a direct correlation between feeling rested and CO2 and glycogen retention. Not feeling rested / getting sleep deprivation worsens CO2 levels and glycogen retention. I know maybe I'm just being snarky, but if sleep deprivation were so great then I should have been superman as a youth because I never got enough sleep as a kid.

I think what you're trying to say is insufficient fuel/CO2 to last the night can cause deficient waking CO2 and temperatures. What I'll often do is wake up after 6 hr of sleep and eat something and sleep another 4-6 hr. Basically not only lots of sleep but lots of food. Now if you don't eat for 12 hr straight I can see how that could be a problem because it means you've fasted for too long, ran out of fuel, ran out of CO2. If you have a glycogen retention problem then absolutely, 8 hrs vs 12 hrs is a major problem. We are not comparing fasting 8 hr vs 12 hrs. We are comparing SLEEPING 8 hrs vs 12 hrs. Big difference.

Last edited:

lampofred

Except nofap is not a stressor and sleep deprivation is... if sleep deprivation is so great, how come going a week makes me feel progressively worse and worse (and worsening and worsening waking temps to prove the point) and worse until the weekend and I finally get relief (sleep)? Low waking temps clearly correlate with low waking CO2... There is a direct correlation between feeling rested and CO2 and glycogen retention. Not feeling rested / getting sleep deprivation worsens CO2 levels and glycogen retention. I know maybe I'm just being snarky, but if sleep deprivation were so great then I should have been superman as a youth because I never got enough sleep as a kid.

I think what you're trying to say is insufficient fuel/CO2 to last the night can cause deficient waking CO2 and temperatures. What I'll often do is wake up after 6 hr of sleep and eat something and sleep another 4-6 hr. Basically not only lots of sleep but lots of food. Now if you don't eat for 12 hr straight I can see how that could be a problem because it means you've fasted for too long, ran out of fuel, ran out of CO2.

The way I view sleep is kind of like how I view hunger... if you are hungry, then starving yourself is no good and you should eat. But if you can go a long time without eating without feeling discomfort, then it is a sign of good health/thyroid/glycogen storage.

So maybe I should have phrased it to not say that sleep deprivation is "good" for you, instead naturally needing little sleep is a sign of good health because it means you have high GABA/CO2 (unless your energy is driven by PUFA/estrogen's cocaine-like excitatory effect)

OP
B

Blue09

I use LifeExtension Super K which has both. I take 2 325 mg tabs of aspirin dissolved in water every day. It helps in many more things than only hair growth. I'm pretty inconsistent about my coffee intake now (fluctuate between 0 and 5 cups a day) but when I was first started drinking coffee for hair, I went pretty crazy because of how much it was helping me so I would drink about 14 cups a day...

Also FYI coffee and aspirin will deplete B6 and raise homocysteine if estrogen is high (which it most likely is if you are experiencing hair loss), but all the B complex vits I've taken in the past always had shady ingredients and have been terrible for my gut. Maybe potatoes would be a good source of B6 if you need it.

My latest blood results were all within range except my prolactin was sky high and yes estrogen was higher than I would like. Do you have any advice on how I can get estro and prolactin back down? I tried p5p but it made me pretty moody for some reason so I dropped it.

lampofred

Man... as a teenager I never would've thought that I would grow up into this super uptight, no alcohol, no sex, no fatty food, basically ascetic kind of adult...

Last edited:

Cirion

The way I view sleep is kind of like how I view hunger... if you are hungry, then starving yourself is no good and you should eat. But if you can go a long time without eating without feeling discomfort, then it is a sign of good health/thyroid/glycogen storage.

So maybe I should have phrased it to not say that sleep deprivation is "good" for you, instead naturally needing little sleep is a sign of good health because it means you have high GABA/CO2 (unless your energy is driven by PUFA/estrogen's cocaine-like excitatory effect)

OK, I agree with that statement.

Healthy person - needs less food less frequently, can handle exercise a lot better, needs less sleep.

Unhealthy person - needs more food more frequently, cannot handle exercise, needs more sleep.

What I'm trying to say is that one does not go from unhealthy to healthy via fasting, exercising excessively and purposefully getting less sleep. That's why I think one should be very careful in saying because a healthy person can or does something, that we should copy it if sick trying to get healthy. A lifestyle that promotes healing is different than a lifestyle one can or should promote once healthy.

Man... as a teenager I never would've thought that I would grow up into this super uptight, no alcohol, no sex, no fatty food, basically ascetic kind of adult...

Lol. Well, I dunno about you, but I've never been healthy a day in my life except for two very short stints in my late 20's lasting no more than 6-12 months, even as a kid when I was supposed to be the most androgenic in my life, so this way of living has had a long time coming sadly.

lampofred

My latest blood results were all within range except my prolactin was sky high and yes estrogen was higher than I would like. Do you have any advice on how I can get estro and prolactin back down? I tried p5p but it made me pretty moody for some reason so I dropped it.

If the cause is something isolated, like a nutrient deficiency or a pituitary tumor, then vitamin supplementation or dopamine agonists would probably bring it down. But for most people, I think prolactin is elevated due to chronic stress, which is much harder to resolve (which is why hair loss is such a complex issue). It could be dietary stress, the two biggest things that come to mind are PUFA buildup and chronic protein deficiency or it could be lifestyle stress like feeling stuck or trapped.

Most things that strongly lower prolactin are necessarily stressful because I think prolactin is kind of a numbing, soothing hormone that alleviates the prey's suffering before it dies... I don't know how true this is but it feels right to leave it here...

High dose coffee, low-fat diet, sleeping less will quickly lower prolactin in the short run but are hard to sustain.

Red light, thyroid, gelatin, fat-soluble vitamins, progesterone, bag breathing/high altitude/breath retention, low PUFA & high animal protein diet, will slowly lower baseline prolactin in the long run but may not halt hair loss immediately.

Aspirin is great because it is both sustainable and pretty strongly lowers prolactin, so it's in a category of its own. That's probably why Dr. Peat recommends it so strongly for chronic stress issues like arthritis and cancer.

Alcohol, sex, PUFA, SSRIs will greatly increase prolactin.

Last edited:

ddjd

1) mitosynergy copper (vital for electron transport chain and mitochondrial function)

2) MSM - decalcifies the scalp, reverses mpb, lowers nitric oxide (only use optiMSM brand)

3) can't decide between niacinamide or aspirin. both amazing all rounders and without a doubt halt mpb

OP
B

Blue09

1) mitosynergy copper (vital for electron transport chain and mitochondrial function)

2) MSM - decalcifies the scalp, reverses mpb, lowers nitric oxide (only use optiMSM brand)

3) can't decide between niacinamide or aspirin. both amazing all rounders and without a doubt halt mpb

So are you saying mitosynergy copper is helping with you're hair? I just checked it out and it seems very expensive for copper.