Thorne Basic Multivitamin Opinion

Black Ops

Hello guys,

Thorne Research - Basic Nutrients 2 / Day - Complete Multivitamin / Mineral Formula - 60 Capsules: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

I've been using this supplement for awhile now and had good results with it. Although I've noticed when taking one capsule in the morning, my hands get cold for awhile (Most likely due to the blood sugar dropping) and I don't know what's causing it. If I don't take it, then my hands remain much warmer

Are there any better alternatives for a multivitamin?

Btw I'm a male aged 19 if that's relevant :)

tara

Although I've noticed when taking one capsule in the morning, my hands get cold for awhile (Most likely due to the blood sugar dropping) and I don't know what's causing it.
Taking it after breakfast, including carbs, should mitigate against blood sugar drop?

Pointless

Pretty good for a multivitamin. Doses are pretty low, but maybe that's for the best. Only problems are the carotenes which are unsaturated, the potassium iodide which raises TSH, and the boron which may be estrogenic for some people. I don't know why it makes your feet cold, but have you tried eating liver? It probably has everything you can get in here.

tankasnowgod

I've had good results with Life Extension's Two Per Day in the past, but Thorne's formula look's a bit better, to me. Specifically, I used it to raise hemoglobin while lowering overall body iron stores. I've just recently stopped with the multi, and am doing liver and oysters once a week (trying to space those about 3-4 days apart). I'm targeting supplemental doses of a few things right now (A,E,K2, Mag, Niacinamide and Biotin).

Mito

Some of the excipients might be harmful
Haidut posted a concern about chromium. Dietary supplements with chromium may be carcinogenic

It's impossible to find a multivitamin without those things if they concern you. The only way to avoid them (and still take a supplement) is to find highly pure sources with safe excipients. Companies like IdeaLabs, Health Natura, and Pure Encapsulations are the best at this that I know about. Of course it's less convenient taking multiple capsules and/or liquids.

tara

• Silicon Dioxide - Some on this forum call it harmful. Excipients
Yeah - risk of particulate persorption into bloodstream and sticking where they are not wanted, causing inflammation etc.
The safest way to take supplements is probably by picking individual ones with little or no harmful excipients, and doing some homework on appropriate doses. Bit of time and effort. Liver is quicker and easier and probably better for most things, but maybe sometimes useful to bump up some of the specific micros.

OP
Black Ops

Black Ops

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to buy estroban from idealabs as I've heard good stuff about it.

Just wondering wether you can take it sublingually or orally?

L

lollipop

find highly pure sources with safe excipients. Companies like IdeaLabs, Health Natura, and Pure Encapsulations are the best at this that I know about.
Totally agree with this. These are the sources I choose as well.

@Black Ops you can take Estroban either way. Experiment and see what works best for you.

OP
Black Ops

Black Ops

Totally agree with this. These are the sources I choose as well.

@Black Ops you can take Estroban either way. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Nice :)

One last question: I'm from the UK and the idealabs payment is in dollars. Am i correct to assume that the amount deducted will be in pounds and there isn't any other fee involved?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid. I've never bought anything internationally over the internet and just want to make sure

L

lollipop

Nice :)

One last question: I'm from the UK and the idealabs payment is in dollars. Am i correct to assume that the amount deducted will be in pounds and there isn't any other fee involved?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid. I've never bought anything internationally over the internet and just want to make sure
No worries @Black Ops! I totally understand. Unfortunately I have not ordered from Ideallabs since he no longer uses PayPal. I assume most payment processors make the currency conversion automatically. PayPal does and my website uses Strip and it does.

Anyone else know for sure?

InChristAlone

I think multi's are pretty crappy. What if you are having a reaction to the methylated vitamins but you still want the others? It's just not a good idea to put everything together like that. Also, that quite a lot of P5P Ray doesn't recommend more than 10 mg. Liver is a good replacement besides vit D.

Wagner83

Health claims
Coral calcium has been promoted as an alternative treatment or cure for a number of health conditions, often as part of an alkaline diet, by Robert Barefoot and others; Barefoot coauthored a book called The Calcium Factor, and marketed coral calcium supplements with infomercials.[1][2] According to a Time magazine article about Barefoot by Leon Jaroff, "The monthly cost of the recommended dose of Barefoot's calcium tablets is some 15 times greater than that of the ordinary drug store variety." Jaroff called Barefoot's marketing of coral calcium "one of the more successful scams of our age" and "sheer nonsense," and labeled him a "huckster".[1]

There is no medical evidence to support these health claims, and coral calcium has been identified by the United States Food and Drug Administration as a "Fake Cancer 'Cure' Consumers Should Avoid".[3] The Federal Trade Commission prosecuted several individuals, including Barefoot, for making unsupported health claims about coral calcium,[4] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine has issued a consumer advisory regarding false and misleading marketing claims associated with coral calcium supplements.[5]

Health and environmental concerns
Living coral reefs are endangered and cannot be harvested without significant damage to the ecosystem, and because of this, coral calcium is harvested by grinding up above-ground limestone deposits that were once part of a coral reef. Calcium from coral sources needs to be refined to remove pollutants of the source environment. It is marketed as a dietary supplement, but its benefits over other calcium supplements are unproven and biologically unlikely,[5] and several marketers have been found guilty of fraud and were ordered to pay $20.4 million and to refrain from making unsubstantiated claims in the future.[4] Additionally, coral near Okinawa has absorbed relatively high amounts of lead and mercury, leading to concern that these unregulated supplements may be contaminated.[6] Further, coral takes millennia to grow, leading to environmental concerns if harvesting of live coral becomes widespread.[6]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals