The Truth About High Fat Diets

Mito

The Wrap Up

So let us sum up those initial statements and evaluate their “trueness” and “falseness”
  1. Eating fat makes you burn fat: True
  2. High fat diets make you burn more calories: False
  3. A ketogenic state makes you burn the most fat and offers a metabolic advantage: False
  4. Eating more fat makes your lose more fat since you are using fat for fuel: False
  5. Carbohydrates are stored more easily than fat: False
  6. You eat less when you eat high fat meals: False
  7. Fat is more satiating than carbohydrates: False
  8. Eating fat before a meal makes you eat less: False
So basically, eating high fat diets make you use more fat for fuel …. that is about it.***

The Truth About High Fat Diets - Science Driven Nutrition

yerrag

Are you summing up what the linked article is saying, or are you expressing your opinion? Sorry, I haven't read through the article. It's a bit long for me to quickly digest the "fat" article. :D

OP
Mito

Mito

Are you summing up what the linked article is saying, or are you expressing your opinion? Sorry, I haven't read through the article. It's a bit long for me to quickly digest the "fat" article. :D
It's the author's summary (from the article). These are questions he answers (in detail) in the article. Basically dispelling some typical misconceptions about a high fat diet.

theLaw

VOS apparently created a high-fat Peat-ish diet using MCT/coconut oil:

My ketone diet

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but those statements that you listed are far too broad for a debate, and thus you would never even be able to agree on terms.

J

James IV

Framing proper nutrition through a series of T/F statements is really poor choice. It's the same black and white, good and bad narrative people have been trying to apply to nutrition for years. Humans are a living, dynamic organism. You generally shouldnt apply static statements to dynamic organisms.

I can tell you that my answers to your list above are not the same as yours.

There are studies where they radioactively labeled fat that was ingested and then traced it. It showed that it went striaght to adipose tissue storage. From your lips to your hips. Most people don't have enough muscle mass to consume all those FFA before they go into adipose tissue storage.

The data on MSWOF (medically supervised water only fasting) shows that everyone who does it and is in ketosis from that state, loses about about one pound/half a kilo per day. Half of that pound is fat tissue that is being turned into ketones and the other half is water.

Last edited:

Tenacity

There are studies where they radioactively labeled fat that was ingested and then traced it. It showed that it went striaght to adipose tissue storage. From your lips to your hips. Most people don't have enough muscle mass to consume all those FFA before they go into adipose tissue storage.

The data on MSWOF (medically supervised water only fasting) shows that everyone who does it and is in ketosis from that state, loses about about one pound/half a kilo per day. Half of that pound is fat tissue that is being turned into ketones and the other half is water.

Wouldn't some of that pound be lean tissue too?

J

jb116

Yes, it has to. Sugar has to come from somewhere, usually lactate or lean tissue both of which as metabolically expensive
and some times compromising.

The first 2-3 days is when you lose the most protein tissue. Once you're in full ketosis, you lose very little protein. You'll only burn more protein if you do more than just walking around lightly because of the increased sugar demand because the body quickly turns to protein when you do that because ketones can't supply the quick energy you need in that moment so that is why everyone who does it properly stays in a resting state and just goes for light walks. Even though the brain can burn mostly ketones in this state, it still needs a little bit of sugar, and so do the red blood cells. If we burned though our protein instead of our fat then people wouldn't be able to go more than a week. But because we have this built in adaption, we can go for much longer burning mostly ketones. It's only when we run out of adipose tissue that starvation begins. A person can occasionally lose too much Na or K though the urine so even though they have plenty of fat to burn though, they need to have some vegetable broth that doesn't take them out of ketosis to get some electrolytes back in for the heart.

Author Steve Pavlina didn't eat anything for 40 days and he documented every day on video. People will say "yea but he looks emaciated.." Yea, no s*it. That's the point. Or one of the points. To get rid of excess fat tissue and toxins that are stored in that tissue, among other reasons for doing it like to reset taste buds, cancer prevention and spiritual reasons.

dbh25

There are studies where they radioactively labeled fat that was ingested and then traced it. It showed that it went striaght to adipose tissue storage. From your lips to your hips.
Does it make a difference with the type of fat consumed?

J

James IV

Dietary fat isn't the same as Free Fatty Acids. FFA are fat that has been released from bodyfat stores. Consumed fat doesn't circulate as FFA, it's only after it is stored and then released, that it is FFA. So whenever elevated blood FFA are referenced, it means the subject is in a high state of bodyfat being liberated into the blood, not fat absorbing from a meal. The best way to get higher blood levels of FFA is to eat nothing, or eat a very high protein, or carbohydrate meal, without fat and wait a couple hours. Higher
fat consumers will actually have LOWER blood levels of FFA on average, assuming they are not in a large caloric deficit.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with storing fat, nor liberating it, assuming it's primarily saturated. In fact it's likely better to store and release fat often, rather than to have it stay in your fat stores long term, since time will eventually degrade the fats, no matter the type.

If you have high tissue concentrations of PUFA, then liberating it quickly via fasting or extremely low fat diets, will both likely be more taxing to the system that eating saturated fats and maintaining a mild caloric deficit, since the dietary saturated fats will keep PUFFA lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenacity

Dietary fat isn't the same as Free Fatty Acids. FFA are fat that has been released from bodyfat stores. Consumed fat doesn't circulate as FFA, it's only after it is stored and then released, that it is FFA. So whenever elevated blood FFA are referenced, it means the subject is in a high state of bodyfat being liberated into the blood, not fat absorbing from a meal. The best way to get higher blood levels of FFA is to eat nothing, or eat a very high protein, or carbohydrate meal, without fat and wait a couple hours. Higher
fat consumers will actually have LOWER blood levels of FFA on average, assuming they are not in a large caloric deficit.

Didn't @haidut say that one reason for eating a lower fat diet was to reduce FFA? Haidut, any insight?

EDIT: Looking through Haidut's posts, seems I might have confused lowering serotonin with lowering FFA. Apologies if I have misrepresented your position, Haidut. :borg:

J

James IV

Didn't @haidut say that one reason for eating a lower fat diet was to reduce FFA? Haidut, any insight?

Assuming you are meeting caloric needs in both scenarios, I'd argue a low fat diet will result in higher FFA, simply because more bodyfat will need to be liberated to meet non energy fat requirements. And I can guarantee any diet that results in high levels of bodyfat loss, reguardless of macro composition, will result in higher levels of FFA, at least temporarily.
Not to imply this is better or worse.

J

jb116

The first 2-3 days is when you lose the most protein tissue. Once you're in full ketosis, you lose very little protein. You'll only burn more protein if you do more than just walking around lightly because of the increased sugar demand because the body quickly turns to protein when you do that because ketones can't supply the quick energy you need in that moment so that is why everyone who does it properly stays in a resting state and just goes for light walks. Even though the brain can burn mostly ketones in this state, it still needs a little bit of sugar, and so do the red blood cells. If we burned though our protein instead of our fat then people wouldn't be able to go more than a week. But because we have this built in adaption, we can go for much longer burning mostly ketones. It's only when we run out of adipose tissue that starvation begins. A person can occasionally lose too much Na or K though the urine so even though they have plenty of fat to burn though, they need to have some vegetable broth that doesn't take them out of ketosis to get some electrolytes back in for the heart.

Author Steve Pavlina didn't eat anything for 40 days and he documented every day on video. People will say "yea but he looks emaciated.." Yea, no s*it. That's the point. Or one of the points. To get rid of excess fat tissue and toxins that are stored in that tissue, among other reasons for doing it like to reset taste buds, cancer prevention and spiritual reasons.

Yea you are chasing your tail at that point. Two to three days of lean tissue loss is pretty catabolic. All that to lose adipose tissue is not worth it in my opinion. One may say but you lose the fat at least but exactly to your own point we wouldn't need as much sugar if we weren't too active. So there is really no option to build back up the muscle without resorting to using more and more sugars in the diet. Not a good plan of attack.

Travis

The coconut-eating Kitavans at lots and lots of fat, but it was mostly saturated. Even their pigs were highly-saturated (yes, Ian Prior actually did measure this). If the people that write the articles on high-fat/low-fat diets don't differentiate between linoleic acid and stearic acid, then their conclusions may be a bit too simplistic.

I personally eat a lowish fat diet most of the time, about ¹⁄₂ coconut per day. I don't think I would gain any weight or suffer much if I ate an entire coconut per day. With saturated fats, I don't think it matters much. In my opinion, the protein will become an issue before the short/medium-chain saturated fats will.

And many—but not all—high-fat diets are usually associated with a lower intake of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, ect...I look at the vitamins and minerals in the coconut and I don't see much. I use it to boost the daily protein intake to around 45 grams and it provides an excellent garnish to stuff dates (the fruit) with. They taste like cupcakes—seriously, and they are really good with coffee to balance the sweetness. Coconut-stuffed dates are too sweet to eat without coffee.

Last edited: