The Slippery Hand: Finger Ridges Atrophying Along With The Surface Of The Inflammed Intestine

Amazoniac

As they commented, this might not be precise enough for a diagnosis (especially for subtle changes), but it can offer some clues about the internal state of surfaces in a simple way. In chronic inflammation these generalized retractions become more evident and such manifestation is more useful. I have no idea if it's reliable, but it's interesting never of the less (click on the links for images):

Fingerprint Changes in Coeliac Disease

"In this preliminary survey 86% of 73 patients with coeliac disease had ridge atrophy of their fingerprints. If the adults are taken alone then 95% have ridge atrophy."

"The improvement in fingerprints after treatment with a gluten-free diet has been started appears rapidly and is easily detected within a month. Ridge atrophy seemed to precede clinical deterioration by some weeks in the few patients whose fingerprints were taken frequently enough to show such changes. We cannot explain, however, the finding of normal fingerprints in three adults with coeliac disease."

"If fingerprint changes correlate closely with villous atrophy in the gut, then fingerprinting might also spare patients a repeat small intestinal biopsy."​

Clinical significance and genetics of epidermal ridges--A review of dermatoglyphics

Finger Prints and Disease
About the left hand being more susceptible to changes after death, they tried to investigate if there's some association with diseases and the appearence of creases (the odd lines on fingerprints) with their disappearance in some instances when the ridges have atrophied enough.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
As they comment, this might not be precise enough for a diagnosis (especially for subtle changes), but it can offer some clues about the internal state in a simple way. In chronic inflammation these generalized retractions become more evident. I have no idea if it's reliable, but it's interesting never of the less:

Fingerprint Changes in Coeliac Disease

"In this preliminary survey 86% of 73 patients with coeliac disease had ridge atrophy of their fingerprints. If the adults are taken alone then 95% have ridge atrophy."

"The improvement in fingerprints after treatment with a gluten-free diet has been started appears rapidly and is easily detected within a month. Ridge atrophy seemed to precede clinical deterioration by some weeks in the few patients whose fingerprints were taken frequently enough to show such changes. We cannot explain, however, the finding of normal fingerprints in three adults with coeliac disease."

"If fingerprint changes correlate closely with villous atrophy in the gut, then fingerprinting might also spare patients a repeat small intestinal biopsy."​

Clinical significance and genetics of epidermal ridges--A review of dermatoglyphics

Finger Prints and Disease
About the left hand being more susceptible to changes after death, they tried to investigate if there's some association with diseases and the appearence of creases (the odd lines on fingerprints) with their disappearance in some instances when the ridges have atrophied enough.
I have to use my finger print to get medication out of a dispenser at work and I usually have to put some type of ointment on my finger tip or the scanner won't read my finger print. I always wondered why and now I know!!! I've not heard of anyone else having this problem. Thanks @Amazoniac.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This has been a mystery to me for years and although it may seem insignificant it's nice to have a logical explanation. I was so excited that I shared it with my family. I continue to be amazed at the things you learn here.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

This has been a mystery to me for years and although it may seem insignificant it's nice to have a logical explanation. I was so excited that I shared it with my family. I continue to be amazed at the things you learn here.
It's so nice to read a comment like this. It feels appropriate to use this smiley: :thumbleft

Nicole W.

I have to use my finger print to get medication out of a dispenser at work and I usually have to put some type of ointment on my finger tip or the scanner won't read my finger print. I always wondered why and now I know!!! I've not heard of anyone else having this problem. Thanks @Amazoniac.
Hi Blossom,
Not sure if this relates to your situation, but when I was diagnosed with “adrenal fatigue” three years back, one of the things my naturopath pointed out to me was my finger tips. I was just dragging at the time and my fingertips always looked like I had just spent hours in a pool or bath. They looked deflated and wrinkled no matter what I did. As my health and energy levels improved, weirdly so did my finger tips. They are mostly plump and pink now. However, when I feel my energy lag I often notice that my hands are cool and my finger tips don’t look so great. I kind of view my fingertips as one barometer of my current health, along with temps, digestion, mood etc...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi Blossom,
Not sure if this relates to your situation, but when I was diagnosed with “adrenal fatigue” three years back, one of the things my naturopath pointed out to me was my finger tips. I was just dragging at the time and my fingertips always looked like I had just spent hours in a pool or bath. They looked deflated and wrinkled no matter what I did. As my health and energy levels improved, weirdly so did my finger tips. They are mostly plump and pink now. However, when I feel my energy lag I often notice that my hands are cool and my finger tips don’t look so great. I kind of view my fingertips as one barometer of my current health, along with temps, digestion, mood etc...
Thanks @Nicole W., my finger tips are pink and plump currently. I've had that pale wrinkled look to them before when dehydrated though. I think my finger prints are just weak from celiac disease. I've been mostly off gluten for 6 years but I went undiagnosed until my early 40's. Maybe one day they will rejuvenate!

Rafe

Great find, @Amazoniac. My Mom has been saying for about 5 years that she was losing her fingerprint ridges. She's about to turn 80 now. This article puts it together for me: 25 yrs ago she had a perforated colon. Docs told her it was a "congenital diverticulum." Meaning, "we don't know what happened but we fixed it."
They did fix it. It saved her life in an immediate sense from peritonitis, though she remains a person driven by many anxieties. Now I think probably gut- and estrogen-mediated.

I recently told her about this thread. She seemed puzzled. I forget what a great turnaround in thinking it is to see the body/mind as a whole organism. I wonder how long people could live if they could adjust their thinking.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
C00l! Were you monitoring them? Did something else improve along? Was it you who discontinued dairy for a while?
Sort of, I have to use my finger print a lot at work and I noticed the past few weeks that I no longer have issues with my print being readable whatsoever. I quit fortified dairy which is sadly most dairy in my country. At this point it seems like that was causing the inflammation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals