The Problem With Oxtail

cyclops

is that it has too much fat! At least for me right now.

I'd love to find a balanced cut of meat with gelatin and muscle meat without so much fat. I like to eat the real thing rather then supplement gelatin.

Any suggestions?

put it in a slow cooker, let it boil for 3 to 4 hours, save the liquid and put in refrigerator, fat will move to the top, gelatin will stay at the bottom, skim the fat off the top

OP
cyclops

cyclops

put it in a slow cooker, let it boil for 3 to 4 hours, save the liquid and put in refrigerator, fat will move to the top, gelatin will stay at the bottom, skim the fat off the top

I meant there is too much fat on the actual oxtail. I need to eat allot of protein and there is too much fat on the meat. I was wondering if there was a cut of meat that is gelatinous and muscle but very low in fat.

I meant there is too much fat on the actual oxtail. I need to eat allot of protein and there is too much fat on the meat. I was wondering if there was a cut of meat that is gelatinous and muscle but very low in fat.

i dont know another cut of meat, you could make the gelatin and then eat a regular cut of meat, and use the gelatin with it

OP
cyclops

cyclops

i dont know another cut of meat, you could make the gelatin and then eat a regular cut of meat, and use the gelatin with it

Thats an idea. I think shank is also recommended and leaner, but I don't really like it. Wanted to see if there were any other options.

Thats an idea. I think shank is also recommended and leaner, but I don't really like it. Wanted to see if there were any other options.

yeah i hate them also. i tried to use them for a gelatin broth also, it does not make as quality gelatin as oxtail. it is not as much gelatin in the lamb one. came out more liquidy. maybe you have to open the lamb up or something, i feel like the meat, it feels like it is sealed kind of uncooked, maybe the gelatin is inside the cut. they also taste weird to me.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

yeah i hate them also. i tried to use them for a gelatin broth also, it does not make as quality gelatin as oxtail. it is not as much gelatin in the lamb one. came out more liquidy. maybe you have to open the lamb up or something, i feel like the meat, it feels like it is sealed kind of uncooked, maybe the gelatin is inside the cut. they also taste weird to me.

Yea for me it comes out real dry and the gelatin tough or something.

DDK

Chicken breast with the skin, pork rinds or beef shoulder/arm roasts.

DDK

Ray told me once that eating chicken breast with the skin, or thighs/legs/wings with the skin would give a good balance of gelatin amino acids.

DDK

Wouldn't Chicken skin contain high pufa though? Thanks for roast recommendation.

Not enough to be concerned about. Besides the gelatin protein would be more beneficial than the small amount of PUFA would be detrimental, IMO.

DDK

And I totally agree about getting gelatin from food vs. supplements. It works much better. Like mayweather said you can make chicken broth and use chicken feet as well, then chill, then skim off the fat. Also, the lean roasts like beef shoulder, arm, lamb shoulder are all high in glycine.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Maybe once you cook the chicken allot of the pufa is cooked out of the skin?

Ella

Forum Supporter
I roast my oxtails for 25 minutes in the oven which causes much of the fat to melt off. Like @mayweatherking, placing in the fridge overnight, the fat solidifies and you can completely remove the fat. It is basically fat-free. I collect the fat as it is high in stearic acid and use it if I am roasting potatoes and other roots.

The drumstick of the chicken makes a lovely thick gelatin however, I normally avoid due to PUFAs, unless I have killed my own. I use it for the dogs when I make their food. Yes chicken feet make beautiful gelatin. Pig's trotter too. @DDK, that's interesting and useful to know; Ray suggesting chicken breast to be OK. My daughter uses chicken drumsticks for her gelatin and I have always been concerned of the PUFAs.

DDK

Have you got a copy of that email exchange?

What part are you skeptical of? That the skin doesn't properly balance the muscle meat? Ray recommends pork rinds constantly, skin is best source of gelatin aminos

DDK

I roast my oxtails for 25 minutes in the oven which causes much of the fat to melt off. Like @mayweatherking, placing in the fridge overnight, the fat solidifies and you can completely remove the fat. It is basically fat-free. I collect the fat as it is high in stearic acid and use it if I am roasting potatoes and other roots.

The drumstick of the chicken makes a lovely thick gelatin however, I normally avoid due to PUFAs, unless I have killed my own. I use it for the dogs when I make their food. Yes chicken feet make beautiful gelatin. Pig's trotter too. @DDK, that's interesting and useful to know; Ray suggesting chicken breast to be OK. My daughter uses chicken drumsticks for her gelatin and I have always been concerned of the PUFAs.

The dark meat chicken is high in fat/possible PUFA, but not white meat chicken breast with the skin. It's no different than eating pork rinds which Ray recommends often. Also, chicken feet are very low in fat, I used to make a broth of just chicken feet and boneless skinless chicken breast, very gelatinous and low fat.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

The dark meat chicken is high in fat/possible PUFA, but not white meat chicken breast with the skin. It's no different than eating pork rinds which Ray recommends often. Also, chicken feet are very low in fat, I used to make a broth of just chicken feet and boneless skinless chicken breast, very gelatinous and low fat.

That sounds good. How long did you cook it for? Did you cook the feet longer then the breast?

DDK

That sounds good. How long did you cook it for? Did you cook the feet longer then the breast?

Cooked the chicken feet about 2-3 hours over bare simmer with onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, parsley and salt; then I added the chicken breasts last 20 minutes of cook time.

raypeatclips

Response from Ray regarding chicken. A bit different from what @DDK suggests.

"I think I said that I use wings and backs for making a gelatinous soup; thighs and legs are high in PUFA, and much lower in gelatin, so I don’t use those. I let the soup cool and skim off the fat. "

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals