The Cause Of Baldness

Elephanto

Vitamin D may be more important that I imagine, and is worth considering, but don't people that absolutely never wear hats also get hair loss?

Funnily I remember this one study done on twins.

The contribution of endogenous and exogenous factors to male alopecia: a study of identical twins. - PubMed - NCBI

Daily hat use (p = 0.050), higher body mass index (p = 0.012), and higher testosterone levels (p = 0.040) were associated with decreased temporal hair loss.

Wearing a hat preserves blood circulation to the scalp.

Factors that were significantly associated with increased vertex hair loss included abstinence from alcohol consumption (p = 0.030), consumption of more than four alcoholic drinks per week (p = 0.004), increased smoking duration (p = 0.047), increased exercise duration (p = 0.050), and increased stress duration (p = 0.010). Lower body mass index, more children, increased caffeine consumption, history of skin disease, and abstinence from alcohol were significantly associated with increased hair thinning scores (p < 0.05).

The increased exercise duration reminds me of how bald people are often neurotics and try "too hard", including in exercising turning an healthy habit into an unhealthy one. The abstinence of alcohol probably points to a basal serotonin/stress level where one can't even support a bit of alcohol, but when it is done from conviction it should be beneficial (mormon men tend to age well).

Also one must not forget the effect of UV-B, not on the scalp but on the skin which will reduce systemic keratinocytes proliferation (which IGFBP3 reduces). An excess of keratinocytes between the scalp and hair follicles would decrease blood circulation and make it calcify. There is a bunch of links to be made between skin disorders and male hair loss, and a moderate dose of UVB helps many skin disorders. There is this one case-study of an old man taking a psoriasis medication (which reduces keratinocytes proliferation) and had hair regrowth after being bald for many years.

Elephanto

@Luckytype

You bring interesting points to general health but which won't explain the horseshoe pattern or solve the problem the way it has been solved by others. For instance you can full well be hypothyroid and keep all your hair (brazilian player Ronaldo), be hyperthyroid and balding, Africans/Asians with deep vitamin deficiencies, or taking many things that I didn't mention which restore energy but won't solve the problem to the point of decalcification and regrowth. The way I and others have experienced it, the guide I made will solve that problem. Then they should move on to what you hint at, but you gotta understand it's a priority order because trying to tackle too much at the same time is overwhelming for someone who feels the urgency of solving this heart-crushing problem.

D

Deleted member 5487

Thank you
@Luckytype

You bring interesting points to general health but which won't explain the horseshoe pattern or solve the problem the way it has been solved by others. For instance you can full well be hypothyroid and keep all your hair (brazilian player Ronaldo), be hyperthyroid and balding, Africans/Asians with deep vitamin deficiencies, or taking many things that I didn't mention which restore energy but won't solve the problem to the point of decalcification and regrowth. The way I and others have experienced it, the guide I made will solve that problem. Then they should move on to what you hint at, but you gotta understand it's a priority order because trying to tackle too much at the same time is overwhelming for someone who feels the urgency of solving this heart-crushing problem.

Thank for the guide.

What is the consensus on transplants?

Here is an excerpt from a balding forum.

why does transplanted hairs grow fine when transplanted into this tight scalp.

"Because these transplanted follicles have reduced DHT receptors, therefore can renew damaged matrix cells at an accelerated rate. The tight scalp and compression issue are definitely factors, albeit on a secondary level.

In a nutshell: tight scalp + pillow compression = mechanical overload on matrix cells. Normally, these damaged cells would be quickly replaced, but increased DHT completely slows down this renewal process because it prompts increased cytokine expression in matrix cells. So you have three insults against the same cells here. When this happens the hair follicle will miniaturize until only micro-vellus peach fuzz is produced.

Scalp loosening and decompressing may reduce inflammation to an extent, but unless the DHT issue is dealt with, then it's doubtful you will experience terminal regrowth.

edited: I decided to look up an old school pal on facebook the other day, and noticed how bald he was. I also noticed that his temporalis muscles were abnormally large (like bulging from both sides of his head), so no doubt that these enlarged muscles have caused his scalp to become tighter in the balding areas."

Any commentary?

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckytype

@Luckytype

Thats like saying smoking cigarettes is healthy just because you dont have lung cancer at this exact moment in time and that you arent heading toward it. Unfortunately there is such a variation in metabolic coping that using some isolated examples considering the frequency of the problem doesnt create a pattern.

I have absolutely no doubt as measured by my own temps over the years that I was running hypo for literally years before I even started my initial shed.

You can be hypo and keep hair but I bet once you start that shed, if you dont improve your energy you certainly wont get that hair back. I have yet to see a single example of this.

The horseshoe pattern is obviously just related, in simple terms of the compromised integrity of the scalp, more than likely caused by an energy issue that otherwise provided physical flexible rigidity(forgive the contradictory terms) that once compromised leaves gravity to take its toll.
Edit: while not ignoring the other things like skull change, tension related to musculature and connective tissue, posture, hormonal imbalances etc etc etc

Humongous blanket over a moutain, tablecloth on table, sheet over a childs head being a ghost. Similar idea.

Last edited:

Motif

Cause somebody mentioned uvb in here.

Two months uvb comb everyday and my dermatitis and hair loss was gone for 4 months

Luckytype

Thank you

Thank for the guide.

What is the consensus on transplants?

Here is an excerpt from a balding forum.

why does transplanted hairs grow fine when transplanted into this tight scalp.

"Because these transplanted follicles have reduced DHT receptors, therefore can renew damaged matrix cells at an accelerated rate. The tight scalp and compression issue are definitely factors, albeit on a secondary level.

In a nutshell: tight scalp + pillow compression = mechanical overload on matrix cells. Normally, these damaged cells would be quickly replaced, but increased DHT completely slows down this renewal process because it prompts increased cytokine expression in matrix cells. So you have three insults against the same cells here. When this happens the hair follicle will miniaturize until only micro-vellus peach fuzz is produced.

Scalp loosening and decompressing may reduce inflammation to an extent, but unless the DHT issue is dealt with, then it's doubtful you will experience terminal regrowth.

edited: I decided to look up an old school pal on facebook the other day, and noticed how bald he was. I also noticed that his temporalis muscles were abnormally large (like bulging from both sides of his head), so no doubt that these enlarged muscles have caused his scalp to become tighter in the balding areas."

Any commentary?

As another data point, there are tons of frail, lanky guys with normal size heads and normal facial and jaw muscles in the office I work in that walk around like they are lifeless. That happen to be slick bald on top. Ages ranging from mid 20s to 40s and 50s.

Elephanto

@Motif
It's a pretty common testimony that people stop losing hair when they get a lot of sun in the summer. Keeping adequate D levels year-round will probably do a lot of good but UV-B certainly help too. Wouldn't say UVB is required if you take care of all the other health parameters (like I wrote high IFGBP3 reduces keratinocytes proliferation, and IGFBP3 is also triggered by daily moderate cardio followed by muscle training; only happens when the subject doesn't feel significantly fatigued after)

@Luckytype I'm sure that energy plays a part but that's more on how it will then affect the parameters I mentioned : CO2 production, IGFBP3, stress reduction, healthier liver detoxifying estrogen and vice-versa (taking the anti-cortisol which are many of the decalcifying agents, pro-test and anti-endotoxin, pro-CO2, pro-metabolism ones will raise energy while they're also specifically tackling the direct causes). Also reducing stress mindfully will help. Then the skull changes that are possible to be made with specific supps/actions I think prevent you to ever go completely bald, at worse you'll be like Leonardo DiCaprio, bad hairline but his wide skull prevents baldness despite looking estrogenic and low energy. Then, even if your health is perfect you'll still need to do the physical actions to fully restore your hair wether they are headstands, scalp massaging (has been proven to work in an asian study) and/or ACV rinsing, maybe applying nizoral to remove excess sebum too.

Here Peat's skull changing from pregnenolone alone. As his jaw gets wider, the lines around his mouth disappear. More can be done with high dose k2, Boron and the mechanical actions. Ronaldo, the hypothyroid guy, has a very wide face. Even being hypothyroid for years which led him to stop playing, he never lost a mm of hairline.
Ray_Peat_Pregnenolone.jpg

@Amarsh213
The transplants usually don't last long or at least have poor aesthetics, not giving the appearance of strong hair since there is still calcification. The notion of local DHT receptors is wrong and based on the outdated understanding of mpb, but the part about the skull is right and that is influenced by IGFBP3, high estrogen/stress/endotoxin and low CO2. You should get on the 3 teaspoons a day of bicarbonate sodium and coconut oil as soon as possible. The DHT issue will be taken care of by tackling stress, which is done with some of the anti-cortisol/anti-estrogen agents (Zinc, K2, Magnesium, Selenium, Pregnenolone, Vit E, P5P, sufficient carbs intake from the white rice+coconut oil, also Vit A can be good it actually directly interacts with IGFBP3 and is anti-estrogenic, anti-endotoxin but it wasn't part of my former stack) and anti-endotoxin agents (Zinc, MSM, Taurine, coconut oil, bicarbonate sodium). Another thing that gives my hair a stronger and more luscious look is Silica, which I don't take in supps but from bell peppers and the occasional beer.

Last edited:

milk

You should get on the 3 teaspoons a day of bicarbonate sodium and coconut oil as soon as possible.

if take a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate before bed the next day my scalp is completely free of dandruff/sebum. and yet i always seem to shed a lot of hair when i do this.

washing my hair with it, same thing. it feels harsh on the scalp, like it's properly cleaning it up, and if i rinse it with vinegar my hair looks great. but again: a lot of shedding when i do this. what gives?

Elephanto

if take a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate before bed the next day my scalp is completely free of dandruff/sebum. and yet i always seem to shed a lot of hair when i do this.

washing my hair with it, same thing. it feels harsh on the scalp, like it's properly cleaning it up, and if i rinse it with vinegar my hair looks great. but again: a lot of shedding when i do this. what gives?

You could try to take less. I remember haidut making a post on Reddit about only 1/8 or 1/4 of tsp was needed to restore youthful CO2 production. Then do bag breathings 2 times a day and work on your breathing. Not sure what's going on in your case, maybe the endotoxin die-off causing a bad reaction, have you tried being consistent with it ?

I don't wash my hair with it. Vinegar is good, I do it about once a week nowadays, maybe too often can make it look dry. Mainly just washing it with hot water, then finishing off with 20 seconds of cold water.
-
Reminds me about Peat, how calcium deficiency induces calcification by triggering parathyroid hormone. High dose Magnesium is also a parathyroid hormone inhibitor. Magnesium is our body's main calcium channel antagonist, that is why it's one of the most important elements of the stack to reverse established calcification (though MSM/Taurine are very potent at decalcifying too). And Peat's very high calcium intake and somewhat low magnesium intake could explain his calcified front despite parathyroid hormone being supressed, low prostaglandins and other health parameters probably being fine, the men of Masai Tribes are pretty much all bald too. Calcium isn't needed for the protocol to work but still would advice sufficiency for general health and testosterone production.

EDIT : Here's the haidut's quote
Take 20g daily in divided doses of 5g each and watch your blood oxygenation levels climb from the "normal" 95%-96% for a middle-aged decrepit citizen/zombie to the 99% of a 20-year old athlete.

So yeah, finally it was much closer to the dose I take and the one recommended in the guide from bodybuilding.com (3-4 tsps)

Last edited:

Elephanto

For people doing the protocol, I'd probably add Niacinamide which is in the bb.com guide as I did take it too for a while but didn't mention in my post. I felt that it was lowering my testosterone after isolating it (at least when it's high dose and daily). The good thing is that once you have restored your health and decalcified, you don't really need to take these supps daily anymore granted you don't go down into high stress/estrogen/endotoxin/shallow breathing. They will have made long-lasting changes, which will be kept through systemic homeostasis with proper nutrition + low stress and active lifestyle (for optimal blood/lymphatic circulation).

Luckytype

@Motif
It's a pretty common testimony that people stop losing hair when they get a lot of sun in the summer. Keeping adequate D levels year-round will probably do a lot of good but UV-B certainly help too. Wouldn't say UVB is required if you take care of all the other health parameters (like I wrote high IFGBP3 reduces keratinocytes proliferation, and IGFBP3 is also triggered by daily moderate cardio followed by muscle training; only happens when the subject doesn't feel significantly fatigued after)

@Luckytype I'm sure that energy plays a part but that's more on how it will then affect the parameters I mentioned : CO2 production, IGFBP3, stress reduction, healthier liver detoxifying estrogen and vice-versa (taking the anti-cortisol which are many of the decalcifying agents, pro-test and anti-endotoxin, pro-CO2, pro-metabolism ones will raise energy while they're also specifically tackling the direct causes). Also reducing stress mindfully will help. Then the skull changes that are possible to be made with specific supps/actions I think prevent you to ever go completely bald, at worse you'll be like Leonardo DiCaprio, bad hairline but his wide skull prevents baldness despite looking estrogenic and low energy. Then, even if your health is perfect you'll still need to do the physical actions to fully restore your hair wether they are headstands, scalp massaging (has been proven to work in an asian study) and/or ACV rinsing, maybe applying nizoral to remove excess sebum too.

Here Peat's skull changing from pregnenolone alone. As his jaw gets wider, the lines around his mouth disappear. More can be done with high dose k2, Boron and the mechanical actions. Ronaldo, the hypothyroid guy, has a very wide face. Even being hypothyroid for years which led him to stop playing, he never lost a mm of hairline.

@Amarsh213
The transplants usually don't last long or at least have poor aesthetics, not giving the appearance of strong hair since there is still calcification. The notion of local DHT receptors is wrong and based on the outdated understanding of mpb, but the part about the skull is right and that is influenced by IGFBP3, high estrogen/stress/endotoxin and low CO2. You should get on the 3 teaspoons a day of bicarbonate sodium and coconut oil as soon as possible. The DHT issue will be taken care of by tackling stress, which is done with some of the anti-cortisol/anti-estrogen agents (Zinc, K2, Magnesium, Selenium, Pregnenolone, Vit E, P5P, sufficient carbs intake from the white rice+coconut oil, also Vit A can be good it actually directly interacts with IGFBP3 and is anti-estrogenic, anti-endotoxin but it wasn't part of my former stack) and anti-endotoxin agents (Zinc, MSM, Taurine, coconut oil, bicarbonate sodium). Another thing that gives my hair a stronger and more luscious look is Silica, which I don't take in supps but from bell peppers and the occasional beer.

Im onboard with you in your strategy and ideas, but to be fair about these photos: one is clearly downlit and the other is distinctly different where a majority of the light is coming in from a window or something to the side. The left side photo will accentuate many over hanging features that the light source on the right side will likely fill in and minimize. On exposure of the photo alone it looks like on the left he posseses different levels in prominent features because of the washout.

peep

Well search for : sodium bicarbonate hair removal on google dude haha

Mossy

You could try to take less. I remember haidut making a post on Reddit about only 1/8 or 1/4 of tsp was needed to restore youthful CO2 production. Then do bag breathings 2 times a day and work on your breathing. Not sure what's going on in your case, maybe the endotoxin die-off causing a bad reaction, have you tried being consistent with it ?

I don't wash my hair with it. Vinegar is good, I do it about once a week nowadays, maybe too often can make it look dry. Mainly just washing it with hot water, then finishing off with 20 seconds of cold water.
-
Reminds me about Peat, how calcium deficiency induces calcification by triggering parathyroid hormone. High dose Magnesium is also a parathyroid hormone inhibitor. Magnesium is our body's main calcium channel antagonist, that is why it's one of the most important elements of the stack to reverse established calcification (though MSM/Taurine are very potent at decalcifying too). And Peat's very high calcium intake and somewhat low magnesium intake could explain his calcified front despite parathyroid hormone being supressed, low prostaglandins and other health parameters probably being fine, the men of Masai Tribes are pretty much all bald too. Calcium isn't needed for the protocol to work but still would advice sufficiency for general health and testosterone production.

EDIT : Here's the haidut's quote

So yeah, finally it was much closer to the dose I take and the one recommended in the guide from bodybuilding.com (3-4 tsps)
Can you please confirm: are you saying Haidut is recommending 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate for general health, but 20 g a day for optimal and youthful levels of blood oxygen?

I ask, because recently I’ve experimented with about a quarter teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, and I felt it was very hard on my kidneys. I tried larger doses, pre-and post exercise, and they definitely created an in balance.

Elephanto

Can you please confirm: are you saying Haidut is recommending 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate for general health, but 20 g a day for optimal and youthful levels of blood oxygen?

I ask, because recently I’ve experimented with about a quarter teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, and I felt it was very hard on my kidneys. I tried larger doses, pre-and post exercise, and they definitely created an in balance.

No I was remembering wrong, the quote does say a teaspoon 4 times a day. But I notice even 1/8 does something positive. And of course you should drink a lot of water, it's still sodium and kidney pain usually indicates dehydratation. If you can't handle it just do bag breathing and controlled breathing.

Mossy

No I was remembering wrong, the quote does say a teaspoon 4 times a day. But I notice even 1/8 does something positive. And of course you should drink a lot of water, it's still sodium and kidney pain usually indicates dehydratation. If you can't handle it just do bag breathing and controlled breathing.
Thank you—I appreciate the additional detail.

D

Deleted member 5487

As another data point, there are tons of frail, lanky guys with normal size heads and normal facial and jaw muscles in the office I work in that walk around like they are lifeless. That happen to be slick bald on top. Ages ranging from mid 20s to 40s and 50s.

They don't have other attributes to fall back on.

Most bald men must heavily compensate with either resources or status. Even then their mates attraction to them is not lust per say
@Motif

@Amarsh213

I much appreciate the input.

Thankfully I have most of these on me already

Do you have dosages for
-Zinc?
-p5p?
-k2?
-magniesum?

Elephanto

@Amarsh213
Zinc absorption % falls as dosage increase, I think I had calculated that taking 50mg results in an absorption of around 25mg. Could be a good experiment to take small amounts throughout the day, never tried. I say this because a complete absorption of 55mg+ starts to have an anti-androgenic effect but it won't happen with an actual intake of 50 or 100mg. At first you could probably take 100mg to have a noticeable effect, then go down to 50mg and around 25mg daily as a maintenance dose. It will accumulate so you'll need less and you'll probably start having copper deficiency symptoms if you keep on 100mg indefinitely. When I started I could feel a potent dopaminergic and calming effect from Zinc but it barely happens anymore, probably since I'm already high in Zinc. Take the p-5-p before, it increases picolinic acid in the body which enhances Zinc absorption. The Zinc form should be Picolinate too.
The concentration of picolinic acid in the pancreas increased as the level of dietary vitamin B-6 was increased.
Zinc absorption was significantly elevated in rats fed the diet that contained either 4 or 10 ppm vitamin B-6 and 200 ppm picolinic acid.
P-5-p should be 50mg, enteric-coated.
K2, probably around 1mg (1/5 of a Carlson's K2 is the least expensive way).
Magnesium has to be high dose at first, the guide had the Citrate form which may induce decalcification more. 1000-2000mg but the Citrate form will make you have liquid bowel movements and perhaps intestinal discomfort. After that you should switch to Magnesium Oxide, around 1000mg since it's poorly absorbable (and taken with a sip of vinegar) but it's pretty much the only form I can find that has no drawback. You could instead start with Mag Oxide (1500-2000mg) and high dose MSM (2g) since it's such a potent decalcifier that you might not need to take Citrate which is probably not super healthy.
Try to get supps that are either pure or with the least harmful additives (definitely avoid everything that has Titanium Dioxide or soy in the case of vitamin E)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals