The Benefits Of Aspirin Outweigh The Bleeding Risks

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a few studied in the past showing that instead of increasing bleeding in the brain and GI tract, aspirin protected from these very events, especially in people with life-threatening levels of bleeding.
GI Bleeding Risks Of Aspirin Are Grossly Overstated
Aspirin Actually Lowers Risk Of Bleeding In The Brain
Aspirin Reduces Death / Complications From GI Bleeding

I still think taking vitamin K with aspirin is a good idea due to the other effects of vitamin K as electron carrier, as discussed in this other thread.
Study Shows Aspirin Inhibits Mitochondrial Complex I
This new study analyzed all available data on aspirin bleeding risks and concludes that none of the cases were fatal and the overall increase of risk was rather small. As many people on the forum well know, the same is definitely not true about warfarin and the various other blood thinning drugs like Xarelto, which have a serious risk of fatal bleeding event and as such carry a black box warning from the FDA.

Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Trials to Ascertain Fatal Gastrointestinal Bleeding Events Attributable to Preventive Low-Dose Aspirin: No Evidence of Increased Risk
Aspirin a day could dramatically cut cancer and heart disease risk | Daily Mail Online
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161130104018.htm
"...Published in the journal Public Library of Science, the extensive study of literature on aspirin reveals that while regular use of the drug increases the risk of stomach bleeds by about a half, there is no valid evidence that any of these bleeds are fatal.

"...Professor Peter Elwood from Cardiff University's School of Medicine said: "Although many people use aspirin daily to reduce the risk of health problems such as cancer and heart disease, the wider use of the drug is severely limited because of the side effect of bleeding from the stomach. With our study showing that there is no increased risk of death from stomach bleeding in people who take regular aspirin, we hope there will be better confidence in the drug and wider use of it by older people, leading to important reductions in deaths and disablement from heart disease and cancer across the community.""

"...Heart disease and cancer are the leading causes of death and disability across the world, and research has shown that a small daily dose of aspirin can reduce the occurrence of both diseases by around 20-30%. Recent research has also shown that low-doses of aspirin given to patients with cancer, alongside chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy, is an effective additional treatment, reducing the deaths of patients with bowel, and possibly other cancers, by a further 15%. The study 'Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials to ascertain fatal gastrointestinal bleeding events attributable to preventive low-dose aspirin: No evidence of increased risk' can be found in Public Library of Science."

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Absolutely; a cheap, practical panacea, over which many more have died than something like an AIDS medicine withheld due to untested side effects for instance.

Drareg

Is it reasonable to say even 10-50mg in those under the age 45 is effective for the usual complaints?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is it reasonable to say even 10-50mg in those under the age 45 is effective for the usual complaints?

The lower doses (80mg - 100mg) ironically are the ones that thin the blood the most. So, maybe a single tablet of 325mg would be a better choice.

My husband has found aspirin to be the fastest working most effective pain killer above
And beyond morphine, his dose can range from 600--900mg 3 to 4 times daily.
As he has advanced mesothelioma he's on a time release morphine 30mg every 12 hours early
As well. Hes in a hospice now and I'm completely heartbroken ,Ifeel he's beèn captured and they are giving him
Pumping him full of chemicals.

There reactions to aspirin is bordering on insanity,even when Point out new research
They just smirk andscaremonger ,I can barely write this through my tears.Ineed help to fight them

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My husband has found aspirin to be the fastest working most effective pain killer above
And beyond morphine, his dose can range from 600--900mg 3 to 4 times daily.
As he has advanced mesothelioma he's on a time release morphine 30mg every 12 hours early
As well. Hes in a hospice now and I'm completely heartbroken ,Ifeel he's beèn captured and they are giving him
Pumping him full of chemicals.

There reactions to aspirin is bordering on insanity,even when Point out new research
They just smirk andscaremonger ,I can barely write this through my tears.Ineed help to fight them

Very sorry to hear this. Given that mesothelioma patients often have issues with flushing and itching, I think it may be possible to convince the hospice to give him something like Benadryl or cyproheptadine. Not only should these help with the underlying condition but a recent study also found them to be potent painkillers. So, potentially a double whammy. See below study for more info and you can shot it to the hospice medical staff as well.
Analgesic Effects of 1st Generation Anti-histamines in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Ideonaut

I posted a few studied in the past showing that instead of increasing bleeding in the brain and GI tract, aspirin protected from these very events, especially in people with life-threatening levels of bleeding.

I still think taking vitamin K with aspirin is a good idea due to the other effects of vitamin K as electron carrier, as discussed in this other thread.
This new study analyzed all available data on aspirin bleeding risks and concludes that none of the cases were fatal and the overall increase of risk was rather small. As many people on the forum well know, the same is definitely not true about warfarin and the various other blood thinning drugs like Xarelto, which have a serious risk of fatal bleeding event and as such carry a black box warning from the FDA.

Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Trials to Ascertain Fatal Gastrointestinal Bleeding Events Attributable to Preventive Low-Dose Aspirin: No Evidence of Increased Risk
Aspirin a day could dramatically cut cancer and heart disease risk | Daily Mail Online
"...Published in the journal Public Library of Science, the extensive study of literature on aspirin reveals that while regular use of the drug increases the risk of stomach bleeds by about a half, there is no valid evidence that any of these bleeds are fatal.

"...Professor Peter Elwood from Cardiff University's School of Medicine said: "Although many people use aspirin daily to reduce the risk of health problems such as cancer and heart disease, the wider use of the drug is severely limited because of the side effect of bleeding from the stomach. With our study showing that there is no increased risk of death from stomach bleeding in people who take regular aspirin, we hope there will be better confidence in the drug and wider use of it by older people, leading to important reductions in deaths and disablement from heart disease and cancer across the community.""

"...Heart disease and cancer are the leading causes of death and disability across the world, and research has shown that a small daily dose of aspirin can reduce the occurrence of both diseases by around 20-30%. Recent research has also shown that low-doses of aspirin given to patients with cancer, alongside chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy, is an effective additional treatment, reducing the deaths of patients with bowel, and possibly other cancers, by a further 15%. The study 'Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials to ascertain fatal gastrointestinal bleeding events attributable to preventive low-dose aspirin: No evidence of increased risk' can be found in Public Library of Science."
Thanks a lot, Haidut!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why is this?

For some reason, they are better for inhibiting platelet aggregation. Higher doses are mostly for pro-metabolic and anti-inflammatory effects as well as inhibiting FAS (which is therapeutic for cancer and diabetes).

Koveras

Wow, so endotoxin striked once again huh!?

Add NSAID-related gastrointestinal ulceration to the list of bacterial issues

Rifaximin Reduces Number and Severity of Intestinal Lesions Associated With use of Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs in Humans. - PubMed - NCBI

DaveFoster

The more authoritarian, closed-minded, and aggressive you are with your opinions, the more likely you're to find yourself in one of these institutions. This kind of behavior disgusts me, merry Christmas.

Elysium

Just my two cents on this:

Prior to peating, i often had
- nose bleeds (often associated with my sinus allergy symptoms)
- i would bruise really easily, even carrying a ridiculously light back pack would leave bruised imprints on my shoulders....i mean a really strage thing.

I've been peating for over two years now, and taking aspirin for about half a year. I take 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg in the evening. I also take 400 mcg of K-7 once a day,

Now, with my history of bleeding and brusing one might expect that it would get even worse with aspirin, but the opposite is in fact true. Nose bleeds are very rare now (though allergies remained) and I have practically stopped bruising. Sometime I hit myself in the gym, automatically expecting a major bruise, yet no bruise shows up.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but it is my own strange experience. Now to be honest I dont know if this is related to peating itself or the aspirin, since ive only been taking aspirin for the past 6 months. The fact is that I have been a lot more conscious and warry of the brusing after starting aspirin, but i cant say for sure the lack of brusing didnt start even before the aspirin.

As a side note, aspirin has zero effect on me as a painkiller o fever represant. It is completely ineffective, unlike ibuprofen that works like a charm in 20 minutes.

Also, never ever had a stomach issue with aspirin.

jaakkima

The lower doses (80mg - 100mg) ironically are the ones that thin the blood the most. So, maybe a single tablet of 325mg would be a better choice.
Can you help get to references on that lower dose thinning more? I tried high dose aspirin on top of other things for blood thinning and ended up with PE multiple times. Haven't found a cause yet. Of course mine are venous so more fibrin less platelets. I also wonder if it irritated my gut and so made the situation worse.

Pompadour

Interesting thread. I often have issues with supplements and that is why i am hesitating to take aspirin. But maybe a one pill of 325mg 2-3 times per week is safe even for me?

L

lollipop

Interesting thread. I often have issues with supplements and that is why i am hesitating to take aspirin. But maybe a one pill of 325mg 2-3 times per week is safe even for me?
My guess is that you might just have to experiment. I would try taking it one day and watch what happens. I have experimented with 2-3 days a week regular use AND an "as needed" type of strategy. The "as needed" works the best for me. Depending on the life stress I am in at the moment, this could mean daily for a week and/or once a week and/or maybe once every three weeks. It really depends on my life situation at the moment and how my body is reacting. I must admit, in the middle of having a high Estrogen day, it restores normalcy FAST. I take two 325mg tablets at a time with a glass of milk. Never experienced any stomach problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

The main purpose of inflammation is to localize irritants (for example, microbes) by putting a barricade of inflammatory tissue around them to prevent their spread into the blood, which could lead to sepsis and even death. The suppression of this basic defense reaction is an advantage, however, when a foreign agent is in itself innocuous and causes trouble only by inciting inflammation. In such cases, inflammation itself is what we experience as a disease. Thus, in many patients who suffer from hay fever or extreme inflammatory swelling after an insect sting, suppression of defensive inflammation is essentially a cure, because the invading stressor agent is not in itself dangerous or likely to spread and kill. In the case of grafts, it may even be lifesaving.
At this point it is useful to distinguish between direct and indirect pathogens. Direct pathogens cause disease regardless of the body's reaction, whereas indirect pathogens cause damage only because they provoke exaggerated defensive responses. If a man accidentally exposes his hand to a strong acid, alkali or boiling water, damage will occur regardless of his reactions, because these are all direct pathogens. They would damage even the hand of a dead man, who obviously could not put up any defense reactions. Most common inflammatory irritants, including allergens, are essentially indirect pathogens: they cause disease only through the purposeless defense reactions that they stimulate.
Immunologic reactions, which lead to the destruction of microbes, grafts and other foreign tissues, undoubtedly developed during evolution as useful defensive mechanisms against potentially dangerous foreign materials. When the attack against the foreign agent is unnecessary or even harmful—as in the case of many allergens, heart transplants, and so on—man can improve upon the wisdom of Nature by suppressing this hostility. When the aggressor is dangerous, the defensive reaction should not be suppressed but if possible increased beyond the normal level, which can be achieved, for example, by catatoxic substances that carry the chemical message to the tissues to destroy the invaders even more vigorously than would normally be the case.
❤️