Testosterone Vs Dopamine

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I know how you feel man, I've been there myself and it's no way to be. However I have no doubt you can heal and surpass your highest levels from before, once you put all the pieces together that fit your own individual physiology. I spent years trying to figure out what to eat myself, and still am to some extent, but I'm light years ahead of what I was like 18 months ago.

Testosterone is no doubt important, but at the end of the day it's still a down stream hormone and isn't the be all and end all (hence why there aren't as many TRT success stories as the doctors would have people believe). As a downstream hormone, I personally think test levels really just serve as an indicator of general hormonal health- the dozens (if not hundreds) of hormones and metabolites that stem from the initial conversion of cholesterol at the top of the steroid tree all have their own functions and purposes in our health and well being, it's just that relatively little is understood. There are guys on TRT who feel great at first, until their bodies try to reach homeostasis and start shifting resources away from the upstream hormones and then all of a sudden feel terrible despite having supra physiological T levels. What I'm saying is rather than trying to chase individual hormones with supplements etc, focus on overall diet, environment and character/mindset. Working outdoors, even in winter, will have a greater impact than even the best D3 supplement on mental well being for example (in my own experience). I know this is all way easier said than done, and what works for me might not work for you, but don't give up. I've been at the depths of despair and come through the other side. Once you find the things that work, it's all worth it.

I hope that I've offered something of value to you, even if it's insignificant, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey to optimal health.

You sure did ! Thank you !

baccheion

Yeah. No doubt, Iodine is a big one ! My TSH was just 1.14. That’s not too bad. The free T3 and 4 was in range.

I was able to raise my D, but will continue to supplement that and K2. Thank you
How much vitamin D do you take to remain at 30 ng/mL? Did you check for other deficiencies? What were your SHBG, estrogen, free T, progesterone, etc levels?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

How much vitamin D do you take to remain at 30 ng/mL? Did you check for other deficiencies? What were your SHBG, estrogen, free T, progesterone, etc levels?

In one year, the D went from 19 to 30, using roughly 3,000 IU daily, and a Super K here and there from LE brand. SHBG was around 30, free T was 2.3 percent of Total, which did go up. Estrone was in middle of the range. Never checked Progesterone

baccheion

In one year, the D went from 19 to 30, using roughly 3,000 IU daily, and a Super K here and there from LE brand. SHBG was around 30, free T was 2.3 percent of Total, which did go up. Estrone was in middle of the range. Never checked Progesterone
What about magnesium?

You could've initially taken a larger amount to avoid waiting that long. 3,000 IU usually pushes serum near ~38 ng/mL, implying you need more vitamin D than others. That is, it may be better to aim for the higher end of the commonly preferred 40-60 ng/mL range: Online calculator for a correct vitamin D dosage | Vitamin D Service. Vitamin K(2 MK-4) and magnesium support vitamin D.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

What about magnesium?

You could've initially taken a larger amount to avoid waiting that long. 3,000 IU usually pushes serum near ~38 ng/mL, implying you need more vitamin D than others. That is, it may be better to aim for the higher end of the 40-60 ng/mL preferred range when using dose calculators: Online calculator for a correct vitamin D dosage | Vitamin D Service. Vitamin K(2 MK-4) and magnesium support higher levels of vitamin D.

If you’re asking my Mag level, never checked it. During this elapsed year however, Magnesium was almost always taken on a daily basis. Roughly 400 mg, using the Glycinate forms.

No Calcium supplements whatsoever, as I know my body is deficient in Magnesium. That’s because my shoulder dyskinesis is correcting itself via supplemental Mag. Leads me to believe I’ve been deficient for years. My scapula, and impingement syndromes are now correcting themselves spontaneously. I believe Magnesium relaxes the muscle toward proper function and correcting. That may be besides the point.

managing

Stearic acid radically improved my hormonal balance based on the incredibly scientific "How do I feel today" method. Ray says as long as it doesn't irritate your intestines its probably fine. 1-2 teaspoons before breakfast and lunch.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Stearic acid radically improved my hormonal balance based on the incredibly scientific "How do I feel today" method. Ray says as long as it doesn't irritate your intestines its probably fine. 1-2 teaspoons before breakfast and lunch.

That’s awesome, I think chocolate is a good source. I eat a lot of it

managing

That’s awesome, I think chocolate is a good source. I eat a lot of it
It is, but I honestly think the difference for me is tremendous. I get benefit from pure stearic acid that I don't get from chocolate. Although chocolate tastes a lot better!

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

So it’s also available in supplement form ? What do you think the mechanism behind the positive (yet subjective) effects on hormonal balance (for you)stems from ?

managing

So it’s also available in supplement form ? What do you think the mechanism behind the positive (yet subjective) effects on hormonal balance (for you)stems from ?
Yeah, its pretty easy to find on amazon or ebay in bulk form if you are in the US. I just take a mouthful and wash it down. It doesn't really have any flavor at all.

I have NO idea why that would be. But I think cacao is like 45% stearic. So if its 70% dark chocolate, it would only be around 32% stearic. So maybe its just dosage. Also, when you eat chocolate, most of it melts in your mouth. W/o doubt, some of it (much of it?) bypsses the liver altogether. And one thing I am pretty sure of is that most of the benefit comes from it passing through the liver. So maybe its just a dosage effect?

Dr. Peat said that if it doesn't irritate your intestines, its probably not got any bad impurities.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

What about magnesium?

You could've initially taken a larger amount to avoid waiting that long. 3,000 IU usually pushes serum near ~38 ng/mL, implying you need more vitamin D than others. That is, it may be better to aim for the higher end of the commonly preferred 40-60 ng/mL range: Online calculator for a correct vitamin D dosage | Vitamin D Service. Vitamin K(2 MK-4) and magnesium support vitamin D.

That calculator was awesome, thank you ! What do you think of Carlson’s K2 (MK4) product ? Why do you think it’s so cheap compared to other mk4 ?

baccheion

That calculator was awesome, thank you ! What do you think of Carlson’s K2 (MK4) product ? Why do you think it’s so cheap compared to other mk4 ?
Maybe it has more of the cis- vs. trans- form? Relentless Improvement and AOR have good products. There's also Idealabs Kuinone and Thorne's liquid K2.

vulture

I know how you feel man, I've been there myself and it's no way to be. However I have no doubt you can heal and surpass your highest levels from before, once you put all the pieces together that fit your own individual physiology. I spent years trying to figure out what to eat myself, and still am to some extent, but I'm light years ahead of what I was like 18 months ago.

Testosterone is no doubt important, but at the end of the day it's still a down stream hormone and isn't the be all and end all (hence why there aren't as many TRT success stories as the doctors would have people believe). As a downstream hormone, I personally think test levels really just serve as an indicator of general hormonal health- the dozens (if not hundreds) of hormones and metabolites that stem from the initial conversion of cholesterol at the top of the steroid tree all have their own functions and purposes in our health and well being, it's just that relatively little is understood. There are guys on TRT who feel great at first, until their bodies try to reach homeostasis and start shifting resources away from the upstream hormones and then all of a sudden feel terrible despite having supra physiological T levels. What I'm saying is rather than trying to chase individual hormones with supplements etc, focus on overall diet, environment and character/mindset. Working outdoors, even in winter, will have a greater impact than even the best D3 supplement on mental well being for example (in my own experience). I know this is all way easier said than done, and what works for me might not work for you, but don't give up. I've been at the depths of despair and come through the other side. Once you find the things that work, it's all worth it.

I hope that I've offered something of value to you, even if it's insignificant, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey to optimal health.
In your experience, does being outdoors significantly improves your mood? Therefore your hormonal status and well being feeling and androgen levels?

lampofred

Have you ever tried focusing on reducing serotonin levels?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Have you ever tried focusing on reducing serotonin levels?

Well, I’ve done the Aspirin, Coffee, Niacinamide, etc. Have never tried reducing the levels with Cyproheptadine, or Lysine, or BCAA. I’ve tried Tyrosine and that made me extremely internally agitated, either from adrenaline or lowered Serotonin

lampofred

Well, I’ve done the Aspirin, Coffee, Niacinamide, etc. Have never tried reducing the levels with Cyproheptadine, or Lysine, or BCAA. I’ve tried Tyrosine and that made me extremely internally agitated, either from adrenaline or lowered Serotonin

Reducing serotonin will both increase dopamine and increase testosterone, and it would be healthier than directly increasing dopamine because Peat has said that focusing directly on increasing dopamine instead of indirectly trying to raise dopamine by reducing stress can cause oxidative damage. Testosterone and motivation can never be high if serotonin is high, and high serotonin seems to be associated with isolation, rumination, and existential despair, all of which I remember you making posts about in the past.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Reducing serotonin will both increase dopamine and increase testosterone, and it would be healthier than directly increasing dopamine because Peat has said that focusing directly on increasing dopamine instead of indirectly trying to raise dopamine by reducing stress can cause oxidative damage. Testosterone and motivation can never be high if serotonin is high, and high serotonin seems to be associated with isolation, rumination, and existential despair, all of which I remember you making posts about in the past.

Yes, I acknowledge that I have made such posts. Alcohol fueled many of them however. Regardless, what’s the best way to lower Serotonin with supplements primarily, then medications ?

Sobieski

In your experience, does being outdoors significantly improves your mood? Therefore your hormonal status and well being feeling and androgen levels?
Yes, absolutely. As with everything, it's something that needs to be done regularly, day in day out to start to really feel benefits. My mood and cognition is adversely affected just from a weekend indoors. Even if it's snowing and below freezing, I'd rather be outdoors. We know animals are negatively affected from being in cages, and being trapped inside is no different for humans, even if it's of our own will.

jet9

Yeah, its pretty easy to find on amazon or ebay in bulk form if you are in the US. I just take a mouthful and wash it down. It doesn't really have any flavor at all.
What brand are you taking? (often effects/quality vary brand to brand)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals