haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was observational but I am inclined to see a causative role of the deficiency for stroke. My inclination stems from the thousands of intervention studies with vitamin B1 to treat a host of neurological issues including accelerating recovery from stroke. In addition, chronic alcoholics in withdrawal are routinely given vitamin B1 in hospitals in the form of the so-called "banana bag" and those treated alcoholics rarely go on to have a stroke, at least while in the hospital. In comparison, untreated alcoholics in withdrawal have many times higher chance of stroke. Considering the important role vitamin B1 plays in energy production, the study is not surprising at all but it is always good to see medicine moving in the right direction. Interestingly enough, some of the key signs of vitamin B1 deficiency are also key signs of stroke - i.e. ataxia, numbness, neuropathy, etc. As a follow up, I would like to also see a study on NAD/NADH and stroke considering that ratio is known to be several fold lower in alcoholics.

Study links Vitamin B1 deficiency to Stroke | Speciality Medical Dialogues

"...The early analysis of data of an ongoing study by Dr Mansourian at the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital has revealed that 10 per cent of stroke patients are thiamine deficient and 50 per cent are borderline deficient. Vitamin B1 is a vital vitamin for the development and maintenance of the nervous system. Prior studies have shown that vitamin B1 deficiency is prevalent in people who suffer from alcoholism, gastrointestinal absorption disorders, HIV/AIDS, or a genetic deficiency. There is a high risk of development of symptoms like confusion, peripheral neuropathy, ataxia, numbness, or others."

"...Vitamin B1 is also known as thiamine which is which helps the body generate energy by converting carbohydrates. especially it provides energy to the brain. Vitamin B1 is present in foods such as whole grain products such as bread, cereals, rice, and flour, Legumes and peas, nuts and seeds. It fulfils a crucial function in amino acid, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, and is critical to proper nervous system function. Rare diseases like Wernicke-Korsakoff, Leigh syndrome, nutritional optic neuropathy and maple syrup urine disease are associated with the body’s inability to utilize thiamine even with an adequate diet. Mansourian and his team are now conducting a retrospective analysis of 200 stroke patients over a one-year period. The study will evaluate thiamine levels and look at cognitive function, length of stay, balance and other variables, breaking the population down by the predominant probable causes. These include diuretic use, diet, high alcohol intake, celiac disease and gastric bypass."

Fractality

Do you think something similar is at play when strokes are seemingly precipitated by stimulant use? Perhaps a deficiency of magnesium is also at play in those instances.

David PS

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think something similar is at play when strokes are seemingly precipitated by stimulant use? Perhaps a deficiency of magnesium is also at play in those instances.

Yes, at least for alcohol abuse. Many alcoholics get stroke and at an early age too. High estrogen and the fact that alcohol depletes thiamine are probably the biggest factors for them. I think some stimulants also deplete B-group vitamins, MDMA and amphetamines being two that I can remember.

magnesiumania

Yes, at least for alcohol abuse. Many alcoholics get stroke and at an early age too. High estrogen and the fact that alcohol depletes thiamine are probably the biggest factors for them. I think some stimulants also deplete B-group vitamins, MDMA and amphetamines being two that I can remember.

What i dont get is wether b-vits can be stored? Can you build up a store that would be depleted by the use of stimulants?

Alithiamine can be stored for longer than thiamine HCl ( I believe haidut mentioned a study in rats where even 6 months after supplementation was stopped, they still had no signs of vitamin B1 deficiency).

magnesiumania

Ok, i dont like supplmenental b's as they are known to deplete ceruloplasmin and burn potassium. I take a tablespoon of nutritional yeast for thiamin each day.

Kray

Ok, i dont like supplmenental b's as they are known to deplete ceruloplasmin and burn potassium. I take a tablespoon of nutritional yeast for thiamin each day.

Do you take the yeast to get all your B's, or just as a supplement for B1? It seems B1 may be the least plentiful of all the B's given that its main sources are very un-Peaty. Do you get the other B's from other supplement, or try to get from foods? As an option to yeast, is allithiamine a good form of B1 over thiamine HCL?

magnesiumania

The yeast is my main source but i love macadamia nuts, they are Peat friendly and an exception in the nutty universe... i also have Rice Bran and Bee Pollen for b-vitamins...

Kray

The yeast is my main source but i love macadamia nuts, they are Peat friendly and an exception in the nutty universe... i also have Rice Bran and Bee Pollen for b-vitamins...

Ha! May explain why I love mac nuts! Is rice bran ok in a Peat context, and is it in a "supplement" form? Does bee pollen have a substantial amount of all the Bs (no pun!) so that's your only B supplement other than foods? Any brands you could share that have worked for you would be appreciated. Thanks-

btw- I have included this yeast supplement in the past- it's (one of) the only I could find that wasn't heat-treated so as to render it not as potent. Your brand?
Foods Alive, Superfoods, Nutritional Yeast, 6 oz (170 g)

magnesiumania

I use Now Foods stabilized rice bran. Works fine... noticable energy boost. I dont think bee pollen (b's from the bees hehe) is high in thiamin but it has most b-vits, B12 excluded.... B12 i get from liver and small amounts from eggs and cheese.

Kray

I use Now Foods stabilized rice bran. Works fine... noticable energy boost. I dont think bee pollen (b's from the bees hehe) is high in thiamin but it has most b-vits, B12 excluded.... B12 i get from liver and small amounts from eggs and cheese.

And the nutritional yeast- do you take that only for the B1? Does it seem a good source option for all the Bs?

magnesiumania

And the nutritional yeast- do you take that only for the B1? Does it seem a good source option for all the Bs?

The brand i use is a great source of B1,2 and 3. Other brands have siginificant amounts of B6 etc...

I take it for what its in there you could say...but it matters alot that its high in thiamine, otherwise i would likly stick to other sources for b's, idk....

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What i dont get is wether b-vits can be stored? Can you build up a store that would be depleted by the use of stimulants?

Some of them are stored better than others. I think B12 and B6 can persist for weeks if you take a hefty dose. B1, B2, and B3 tend to be used pretty quickly and happen to be the ones most quickly depleted by alcohol, chronic stress, etc.

magnesiumania

Those b's and magnesium are the first to leave under stress and exactly whats required to make GABA...........

Fractality

Some of them are stored better than others. I think B12 and B6 can persist for weeks if you take a hefty dose. B1, B2, and B3 tend to be used pretty quickly and happen to be the ones most quickly depleted by alcohol, chronic stress, etc.

Do you think oral or topical use is preferable in terms of replenishing stores?

Last edited:

Kray

The brand i use is a great source of B1,2 and 3. Other brands have siginificant amounts of B6 etc...

I take it for what its in there you could say...but it matters alot that its high in thiamine, otherwise i would likly stick to other sources for b's, idk....

Can you provide the brand of the yeast you use? btw- to clarify the reason for the brand I use, it is that it does not add any synthetic B vitamins to the yeast, as most others do

Last edited:

puella

Rare diseases like Wernicke-Korsakoff, Leigh syndrome, nutritional optic neuropathy and maple syrup urine disease are associated with the body’s inability to utilize thiamine even with an adequate diet. "

Do you have any idea what would cause the inability utilize thiamine?
I know someone who has had multiple TIAs & has "ataxia, numbness, neuropathy". They thought it was ALS & are now testing for MELAS

puella

Do you have any idea what would cause the inability utilize thiamine?
I know someone who has had multiple TIAs & has "ataxia, numbness, neuropathy". They thought it was ALS & are now testing for MELAS

Sorry, I just re-read what you wrote. Rare diseases could cause this. So now my question is, is there a work around to get the body to utilize thiamine properly in the event you have one of these diseases?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals