Study: Baking Soda Toothpaste Greatly Improves Gum Health

Soren

Forum Supporter
To Evaluate Efficacy and Tolerability of Sodium Bicarbonate Toothpaste and Its Effect on Opportunistic or Resistant Organisms - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Toothpaste containing 67% baking soda greatly reduced gingivitis, and plaque. Study was 24 weeks twice daily brushing gingival bleeding was significantly improved at 6, 12 and 24 weeks.

Don't know if this study has been discussed before (i couldn't find it on the forum if it has been).

What would be the method of action here? Increased CO2 to improve healing and metabolism or is it simply better at killing bacteria?

Anyone know of any good baking soda toothpaste? Or how to make your own with baking soda. I would wager that most baking soda toothpaste probably has a very low percentage of baking soda.

mujuro

I wet my brush and plunge it into a jar of the stuff. Then brush. I have seen haidut suggest that a bit of coconut oil with it is ideal.

vulture

I have read and got feedback from odonthologist saying that sodium bicarbonate might be harmful if used daily for the teeth.
Thing is they feel pretty clean and look way more white

Luann

I wet my brush and plunge it into a jar of the stuff. Then brush. I have seen haidut suggest that a bit of coconut oil with it is ideal.

+1

My 2 ideas about it working so well is that it counters the effect of acid on teeth. Don't bacteria create acid when they feed on remnants of food in the mouth? And also that it is a little bit of a scouring agent, maybe it scrubs better than normal toothpaste.

Evgenius

It can kill bad bacteria and it can also remove the enamel from your teeth, too abrasive according to many dentists.

x-ray peat

The abrasiveness disappears after the first 20 seconds or so when it is fully dissolved. So one strategy is to first brush your molars which is all enamel and then move unto other areas where the enamel may have worn away, like near the gum line.

Birdie

I like Weleda's Salt Toothpaste, but sometimes I use baking soda, putting some in my hand, and then using a damp toothbrush.
Glad to see this clinical trial. I guess when the baking soda is mixed into a toothpaste, it would dissolve, eliminating any possible abrasion.
But, using it in the hand with water could potentially solve that too.

I guess salt would have benefits similar to baking soda...

Tom K

A study regarding abrasiveness was performed on the major toothpaste brands. I do not have the link but remembered the outcome. The second least abrasive toothpaste was Tom's. The least abrasive was baking soda!

tankasnowgod

I have read and got feedback from odonthologist saying that sodium bicarbonate might be harmful if used daily for the teeth.
Thing is they feel pretty clean and look way more white

From what I've read, Dr. Hal Huggins (a dentist) recommended brushing teeth with regular salt and baking soda. He apparently claimed that the combo was less abrasive than commercial toothpastes- DIY Tooth Powder - It Takes Time

vulture

A study regarding abrasiveness was performed on the major toothpaste brands. I do not have the link but remembered the outcome. The second least abrasive toothpaste was Tom's. The least abrasive was baking soda!
Would be great to get this study. Most of the mainstream info says it’s too abrasive, a good excuse to sell toothpaste